Deux

How Far We've Come

Jongup bit his lip and tapped his pencil against his notebook. He didn’t understand a single word that was being said on this. Then again, it’s 2am and he’s been working on this since 9pm. He rubbed his tired eyes and continued to try to finish his English essay. English is a ed up language and Jongup regrets taking the class.

“Hi Jonguppie hyung! How are you?!” Junhong greeted happily, bouncing into the living room where Jongup was doing his English homework.

“My eyes hurt and the English language confuses me,” Jongup told him.

“Ew. I took that class when I was in elementary school. I can help you,” Junhong offered.

“Do you know any 1920’s phrases?” Jongup asked him.

“I do not. Why?” Junhong asked him.

“I’m reading this book called The Great Gatsby and there are so many different phrases that I get confused on what’s going on. And then our teacher wants us to write a paper about the different themes in the book,” Jongup told him.

“I can let you borrow my friend’s. He lives all the way in the U.S. and he did the exact same thing. I’m sure that the professor won’t give a ,” Junhong told him.

Jongup stared at him, then at his work. He face planted into the table and let out a frustrated groan and whine.

“So do you want the paper?” Junhong asked him.

“Yes please,” Jongup muttered without lifting his head up.

There was a knock on the door and Junhong went to go answer it. Jongup lifted his head up and saw Junhong’s friends enter their dorm. It consisted of Himchan, Daehyun, Youngjae, and Yongguk.

“How did you guys even get in? We have a keycard,” Jongup questioned, getting up from his spot on the floor. His legs were extremely sore after sitting down all night in the same position.

“Junhong gave us an extra. Why do you have five extra keycards?” Youngjae asked.

“I keep them in case I lose one of them. I hardly lose them but for some reason, the RA keeps giving them to us,” Jongup explained, watching Junhong’s friends (he needs a better word for them. People he knows? He’ll work on that) sit down on the very short couch.

“You probably look like a lost puppy to them so they give you keycards to have,” Daehyun concluded.

“So then why are you here?” he asked.

“Movie day! We decided, since it’ll get us to know you, that we should have it in your dorm,” Himchan explained.

“And seeing that it’s the weekend, we can watch movies all day long,” Daehyun said, lifting his arms in the air.

Jongup bit back a groan. He wants nothing more than to sleep and be lazy for the weekend. He deserves it. He’s worked hard all day. What with the dance practices for the upcoming dance recital and the dance contest being held at the local club for the college kids, and he didn’t get lost, and he actually aced his English class. Why can’t he sleep?

Judging by the way Yongguk looks, he doesn’t look too happy doing this either.

“Jonguppie! What movie do you want to see?” Youngjae asked.

Jongup looked at the choices. Two of them he recognized, the other two were possibly American movies. He bit his lip and chose the one that looked like a superhero movie.

Apparently he chose wrong because they all moaned and groaned.

“Out of all the movies to choose from, you chose Yongguk’s movie,” Daehyun said.

“What’s wrong with Inception?” Yongguk asked him.

“Are you- Are you ing kidding me? Not only is that movie confusing as , but you always bring that movie to movie night,” Himchan told him.

“I’ve never seen that movie, though,” Jongup said quietly, feeling quite small now.

“Neither have I, so stop complaining. You asked Jongup what he wanted to watch, so we’re watching it,” Junhong said, siding with Jongup’s side and comforting him.

Jongup smiled at Junhong and silently thanked him. He went to the couch and sat between Yongguk and Himchan. Junhong sat between Daehyun and Himchan. The movie began to play when Youngjae sat back down after putting the movie in. The room was in complete darkness and the movie credits rolled.

~*~*~*~*~

“Okay, so explain to me again about the ending,” Junhong said.

“They were in the real world because Dom didn’t have on his wedding ring. Plus he knew the weight of his wife’s ‘totem’ and that it renders useless,” Jongup explained.

“You were actually paying attention to the movie?” Daehyun asked him.

“It wasn’t that hard to follow. Sure, there were some confusing parts, but I paid close attention,” Jongup said.

“Then were they in the dream world or the real world?” Junhong asked.

“Real world,” Yongguk and Jongup said at the same time.

“So explain why the spinning top is useless,” Himchan said.

“Mob knew the weight of the totem. It was never Cobb’s knowledge and it wasn’t his to begin with,” Yongguk explained.

The four stared at them. Jongup somehow feels smart in all of this.

“Okay, new movie now. We let Jongup chose and that was a bad idea. Junhong, pick a movie,” Youngjae said, letting Junhong chose.

About six movies later, and the sun coming up, everybody was passed all around the small room. Jongup woke up first, which was strange for him because he always slept in during the weekends. He rubbed his eyes awake and was about to get up, until he felt a pair of arms grab hold of him and hold him tight. He groaned in protest. He didn’t have time for this. He was starving and he was ready to cut a if he didn’t get food. He squirmed out of the person’s grasp, but they seemed to hold onto him tighter. He turned his body around to figure out who it was and he froze.

The person that seemed to be clinging onto him was a sleeping Yongguk, who seemed to have his face pressed against his chest. Now, Jongup is actually kind of scared of him because his face and voice screams out serial killer. It also doesn’t help the fact that he’s so ing quiet and likes to keep to himself a lot. Now, the only thing he needs to worry about is how to break free from him. He tried to think. He might as well put the power to get out of Junhong’s grasp to good use.

Jongup wiggled a little up and practically flew towards the end of the sofa. Meaning that he face planted to the floor. He quickly got up from the floor and rubbed his sleepy eyes awake. He saw Yongguk turning his body around and clutching onto a pillow. Good. Let the pillow suffer.

He walked towards his room and gently closed the door. He sighed a breath in relief and went to change out of his pajama pants and into a pair of clean sweats. He’s going on a coffee run and there’s no way in hell he’s going out there in his Attack on Titan’s pajama pants.

Then again, he has seen weirder stuff at the local coffee shop.

After quietly leaving his room and putting on his shows, along with getting his wallet and keycard, he successfully made it halfway across campus and went toward the Black Bean Coffee. (They need to come up with a better name.) He walked in and smelled the coffee aroma and the smell of breakfast. He grabbed one of the pastries and stood in line behind another student.

Everything happened in a blur. Jongup remembered ordering his coffee, paying for his things, and then leaving with a hot cup of coffee in one hand and a pastry in the other and happily snacking on it.

He got to his dorm and saw Junhong awake, as well as Youngjae.

“Where did you go?” Junhong whispered to him, trying not to wake up the others.

“I went to the coffee shop. I got hungry and we don’t have food,” Jongup answered, taking another bite out of his food.

About a few minutes later, Daehyun jolted awake and looked around.

“I smell pastries,” Daehyun said automatically.

Jongup stuffed the last of his pastry in his mouth and began to chew on it, which was hard because it was almost 2/3rd of the pastry gone and his jaw hurts. Coffee wouldn’t help in this situation.

“Where is it? Where is the pastry?” Daehyun demanded, getting up and looking at his three dongsaengs.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about,” Youngjae told him.

Jongup chewed on half of the pastry and swallowed it. He’s got a few more bites to go.

“Yah! What’s with all the noise?” Himchan called out grumpily.

Jongup turned around and saw Daehyun putting Youngjae in a headlock with Junhong cheering on the side for Daehyun to win. Jongup finished swallowing the pastry and took a sip of his coffee.

“It was you!” Daehyun said, letting go of Youngjae and walking up to Jongup.

Jongup cowered toward the wall, but he saw Himchan grabbing him by the neck and pulling him away. Jongup sighed in relief and walked towards Youngjae and Junhong, possibly far away from the food monster as possible.

“What time is it anyway?” Himchan asked.

“It’s almost 2pm. We’ve been asleep the entire morning,” Junhong said.

Jongup finished his coffee and threw it away in the nearest trashcan in their dorm and watched everybody finally get up, except for Yongguk.

“He’s a tough one to wake up. I once blew a whistle into a megaphone once and he still didn’t wake up,” Himchan told him.

Youngjae and Daehyun looked at Yongguk, then at each other, then at Yongguk, and then at each other with a sly smirk plastered on their face. Jongup was afraid of what was going to happen, so he stayed behind Himchan in case something happened.

Youngjae and Daehyun walked behind the sofa and roughly casually flipped Yongguk off the couch and rolled him onto the floor. The three flinched when they heard a loud bang hit the floor. Yongguk groaned and rolled over, glaring at Youngjae and Daehyun, who seemed to be laughing and high fiving each other.

“You two are so dead,” Himchan told them.

“It was nice knowing you two,” Junhong said, also hiding behind Himchan.

Daehyun and Youngjae quickly ran towards one of the rooms while Yongguk followed right behind them, ready to kill someone.

“Yongguk, they’re gonna die some other day. Leave them alone,” Himchan told them, shielding Jongup and Junhong from the wrath of Yongguk.

“ it. I’m just gonna go back to our dorm and sleep there. It’s the weekend. I need to catch up on my sleep anyway,” Yongguk said, leaving the two alone… for now.

Jongup saw Yongguk leaving their dorm. This was a total different person from the one that was conversing with him last night about different movies and the one that was clutching onto him like a stuffed toy. Then again, he did get rolled over and landed on the floor.

“Well, that indicates for me to leave, too. I don’t have a keycard to my dorm and I need more sleep,” Himchan said, waving goodbye to the two in the room and followed behind Yongguk.

About a few minutes later, Youngjae and Daehyun emerged from whatever room they were from and peaked out.

“They left. I suggest you two leave, too. We need sleep and we have things to do,” Jongup told them, signaling for them to leave.

“Well, thanks for having us for movie night. Hopefully you two join us next time,” Daehyun told them, leaving with Youngjae towards their own dorm.

Junhong wrapped his arm around Jongup’s shoulder, who pushed him away.

“We need to get dressed and head on towards the dance studio. If we do this right, we might win the dance competition,” Junhong told him.

“I really want to practice for my recital though,” Jongup told him.

“We can kill two birds with one stone. Now get ready. If we get there early, we might have the dance studio all to ourselves,” Junhong said,

“If not, I know one that’s really close by that will let us practice in there,” Jongup said.

“One thing at a time first,” he said, going towards his room and went to change, leaving Jongup alone in their dorm since he’s already dressed.

This is going to be a long day.

~*~*~*~*~

“You know, you really didn’t have to threaten Daehyun and Youngjae. Your face is already scary enough,” Himchan told him when they entered their dorm, a cup of coffee in one hand and a packet of jerky in the other.

“You would be pissed if they all of a sudden flipped you around and dropped you on the floor,” Yongguk told him, walking towards his room.

“Wait! You didn’t answer my question back at the Black Coffee Bean!” Himchan called out.

“Which was?” Yongguk questioned, halfway towards his bedroom.

“Your thoughts on the youngest members of our new group of friends,” Himchan said, taking a bite out his jerky.

“I’m gonna say the same thing you told me the first time. I don’t know. I don’t know them that well. Jongup, however, is kind of… strange,” Yongguk told him honestly.

“Yeah, Junhong doesn’t understand either. All I know is that he’s a dance major and likes walking in the park from time to time to think. All from Junhong’s words,” Himchan said.

“Well, eventually I’ll figure out what I think of them. Right now, if you bother me, I will throw a book at your head,” Yongguk threatened, walking towards his room.

Yongguk closed the door before Himchan could say another word. He took off his shirt and shoes and crawled into bed. He wrapped his body with the blankets like a burrito and felt extremely warm. Which reminded him.

Why did he feel so warm back at Jongup and Junhong’s dorm? He knew it wasn’t the pillow he was holding, but right now he needs sleep. He’ll figure that out another day.

-----

A/N: Yeah, more of a filler than anything. I have no idea what I'm doing right now, but I like it. Interactions are great!