Quatre

How Far We've Come

The music was extremely loud inside the club. Jongup didn’t remember how Junhong convinced him to go, but he did. Then again, it did have something to do with the dance contest. Jongup sat through over a dozen dances and each one of them bored him. Of course, they were extremely good, but Jongup was just extremely bored.

“You look pissed,” Junhong told him.

“Of course I’m pissed. I was finishing reading my English book when you dragged me out here. It was getting good,” Jongup whined, staring at his friend/roommate.

“We’ll be on in a moment. After a few drinks and finding out what place we got, we’ll leave,” Junhong told him, handing him a beer.

Jongup took the drink and nursed it, taking tiny sips here and there and cringing at the bitter taste.

Meanwhile, Yongguk and Himchan entered the club and Yongguk instantly felt dread. It’s been a while since he’s been here, and he would choose to forget about this.

The lights were way too bright and the music sounded way too loud for Jongup’s ears. He knew that his ears would be ringing as soon as he left the club. He heard the music stop and everybody whined and moaned.

“Ladies and gentlemen! I’m sorry that we had to cut the music short, but it’s time for the dance competition!” the DJ announced.

Jongup heard their cheers. Junhong lifted him up off the booth and went towards where the other dancers were. Some of them looked at the two and then talked amongst each other, others glared at the two, and some wondered why they were even in this competition since they were a bunch of college freshmen.

Yongguk and Himchan walked towards where the crowd gathered and peered over their heads to get a glimpse.

“When are Junhong and Jongup going to perform?” Himchan asked, looking at Yongguk.

“No idea. Hopefully soon,” Yongguk answered.

After six different dance groups performed, two of them being really lousy and four being really good, they finally called up Junhong’s and Jongup’s team.

“Now, ladies and gentlemen, I give you two very young, but a very fresh dance group. They may be young, but that doesn’t mean that the beat of the dance is not in their hearts. Please give it up for Moon and Zelo!” the announcer announced.

Yongguk and Himchan made their way to the front to see the two perform. They’ve been talking about this for weeks, practicing since who knows how long, and even begging Yongguk to help with a track to get their dance right.

The sound of the beat that Yongguk chose began to play through the speakers. Yongguk could feel the bass going through his veins. He saw Junhong and Jongup on the center of the dance floor. The first hard beat played, and their dancing started. Yongguk stared at them, watching their movements and their expressions. They both look so serious.

“They remind me of water,” Himchan told Yongguk when Jongup began to do what he thought was a complicated dance.

“What do you mean?” Yongguk asked.

“Their movements. They flow so perfectly, so in motion. They look like water,” Himchan explained.

Now that Himchan mentioned it, they did seem to flow together perfectly. Of course, it didn’t last long. The song ended and they both landed a flip perfectly, except for a little slip from Junhong, but it didn’t seem that noticeable. The entire crowd began to cheer loudly for them. Yongguk smiled proudly for them and watched them exit the circle of people.

After another hour or so of other people dancing, the announcer came back with a piece of paper in his hand.

“Alright ladies and gentlemen. It’s time to announce the winners. In third place, we have Hot Steps with their creative fox trot mix with hip hop,” the announcer announced, the crowd clapping and whistling when the third place winners bowed and accepted a small trophy. “In second place, we have Moon and Zelo with their freestyle dance that moved the entire dance floor,” he announced.

Himchan and Yongguk stared at the judges. They both knew that Jongup and Junhong should at least be first. Then again, they must have noticed Junhong accidentally slipping, but regained their composure. They came up and accepted their medium sized trophy, bowing in thanks and the announcer handing them something else. The two walked away from them and found Himchan and Yongguk.

“Hey there kiddies! You two did fantastic. I thought you two would get first,” Himchan told him, viewing their trophy.

“They said they saw a few mistakes. Like me slipping and Jongup accidentally hitting himself in the face,” Junhong explained.

“When did that happen?” Yongguk asked him.

“The middle of the song. We were supposed to lift our shirts but the collar, but I accidentally hit myself in the face. But second place isn’t that bad. Plus they gave us a check for our efforts. Not as much as first place, but enough to pay for our books next semester,” Jongup explained as they began to leave the club.

“And you said you didn’t want to participate in the dance contest,” Junhong said as the cold hair took them by surprised.

“Why didn’t you want to be in the contest?” Himchan asked, giving back their trophy.

“I wanted to practice for my recital. If I’m lucky, I get to be the first freshman in six years to be in the recital,” Jongup explained.

“Yongguk can help with the song choice for you. Maybe him finding the right song can help with your dancing,” Himchan offered.

“Himchan, we talked about offering me to do things,” Yongguk said, glaring his eyes at him. He hated it when his roommate made decisions for him.

“Oh hush. It’ll be a good thing for you two. You two can bond over stuff,” Himchan told him.

Jongup only shrugged his shoulders. He was still awkward around the older man. It was more that he found him intimidating. The walk to their dorms was silent and a bit awkward, but Himchan and Junhong mostly conversed to themselves, while Yongguk and Jongup were silent and watched their roommates converse together.

~*~*~*~*~

“I got a schedule to renew my classes for the winter,” Youngjae announced when they were all together in Youngjae and Daehyun’s dorm, playing cards.

“Oh yeah. I got mine, too. I’m going to take a simple class today. I’m lazy and I don’t want to deal with winter session,” Himchan said.

“What class are you taking?” Yongguk asked him, grabbing a card from the deck.

“I’m thinking of taking an Intro to Rock History class. I need a history class, so that one will do. I already applied and paid for it,” Himchan said, showing his cards. Everybody groaned when Himchan won three times in a row.

“I need an art history class. I keep putting it off,” Yongguk said.

“I already took that freshman year. It was actually really easy,” Daehyun said, shuffling the cards.

“What about you two. What classes will you take?” Himchan asked.

“I already took an art history class this semester. Probably math or something,” Junhong said, grabbing five cards.

“I already applied for an art history class. Starting in the afternoon, too. I do not want a repeat of summer classes when I took one early in the morning,” Jongup said, looking at his cards.

“Maybe Yongguk should apply in the same class as Jongup. He needs someone to converse with,” Himchan said.

“But that’s not necessary, hyung-”

“Shut up. I know what I’m doing,” Himchan told him.

Jongup rolled his eyes and placed two cards down and picked up another two cards.

“What time does your class start?” Yongguk asked Jongup.


“Two in the afternoon. It’s a four hour class,” Jongup explained.

“Well, I need to get rid of art history somehow, so I might take that class. And then after that, I need to take a foreign language course, a math course, and another one of my majors,” Yongguk said, placing his cards down. Youngjae stopped him and showed his, making everybody groan at Youngjae’s win.

“What are you majoring in?” Junhong asked.

“Well, my parents want me to major in medical science, but I really want to major in music theory. So I’m double majoring,” Yongguk explained.

“What about you guys?” Himchan asked.

“I’m majoring in computer graphics and design and computer science. I plan to be a game designer,” Youngjae answered.

“I’m majoring in cooking and business. I want to own a restaurant one day in my hometown of Busan,” Daehyun said.

“So that’s where you’re from. I’ve been trying to figure it out,” Jongup said, shuffling the deck of cards and giving everybody five cards.

“Yeah, the accent is a bit noticeable, but I left Busan in my sophomore year in high school and I kind of lost it, but it’s still there,” Daehyun said, looking at his cards.

“What about you two?” Himchan asked.

“I’m majoring in dance. I can either be a backup dancer or be in a group that has dancing in it,” Jongup answered.

“I’m still undecided. At first it was dance, but I’m a bit skeptical of it,” Junhong said.

“What about you, Himchan. What are you majoring in?” Youngjae asked, picking up another card.

“Traditional music and instruments. In fact, I got a scholarship by playing the janggu. I plan to work in an orchestra one day to play it,” Himchan answered.

“What do your parents want you to do, hyung?” Junhong asked Yongguk, taking another card from the deck.

“My parents want me to be a surgeon. I told them that seeing an organ freaks me out, as does the sight of blood, but they refuse to believe me,” Yongguk answered.

“My parents want me to be a lawyer, but I told them my passion is dance, not law, so they still believe that I’m majoring in law instead of dance,” Jongup said.

“Why law?” Himchan asked.

“My eldest brother is a doctor and my older brother owns a business. They think that one more successful son should do the trick,” Jongup answered, showing the group his winning card, which signaled the end of the game.

“My sister’s a tattoo artist and my twin brother is majoring in psychology. My parents think that if I major in medical science that I could be a successful surgeon. My bet is that they want at least one child to be successful at something,” Yongguk concluded.

“It being the youngest. Especially when we have older siblings that we have to compete against,” Daehyun said, putting away the deck of cards.

“So to get away from that conversation, what classes are you all taking for winter session?” Youngjae asked.

“Well, those two are taking art history, I’m taking Intro to Rock history. No idea what you three are taking,” Himchan said.

“I’m taking Chemistry. Get rid of science quickly,” Junhong said.

“Dae is also taking Intro to Rock History. I might take French to get rid of my foreign language class,” Youngjae said.

“Ew, why French?” Daehyun asked.

“Well, I already took French back in high school, so I might as well take it again. I already know Japanese and I refuse to take English like Jongup did,” Youngjae confirmed.

“English was not that bad, to be honest. Sure, the English language makes me want to rip my hair out and sometimes I think that it doesn’t take any rules… what was I saying again?” Jongup asked.

“Didn’t you say that you all read an English book for a book report?” Junhong asked.

“I read Mr. Penumbra’s 24-Hour Bookstore. It wasn’t that bad, to be honest,” Jongup said.

“I read that book once. I didn’t get to finish it,” Yongguk said.

“That book was amazing. I didn’t know this, until someone pointed it out to me, but the book actually glows in the dark,” Jongup told him.

“I was wondering why I saw a soft glow somewhere,” he said.

“Alright book nerds, I think it’s time to head on in. Jongup will see you for the winter class. Anyone going home for the weekend?” Himchan asked, standing up from his spot on the floor.

“My parents are taking my older brothers on a cruise and accidentally left me, so nope,” Jongup said.

“I refuse to come home. My older brothers has bratty kids and I refused to be in that vicinity,” Junhong said.

“I kind of have to. My brother has a girlfriend, so I’m forced to meet her. Plus free food,” Daehyun answered.

“I’m debating on whether I should go. On one side, I get free food. On another, I have to deal with my annoying parents and siblings,” Youngjae said.

“Well, Yongguk and I are going home. Well, more like forced to go home,” Himchan said.

“Are you two related?” Junhong asked.

“Nah. I’m his neighbor. I used to be that kid that would annoy him at five in the morning just so that I could play with him. I know all of his dirty secrets and he knows all of mine,” he explained.

Yongguk only rolled his eyes. He got up from his spot on the floor and dusted himself off.

“Well, I’m leaving. Himchan, if you don’t want to get locked out, I suggest you come with me, too. You have that paper that’s due in a few days,” Yongguk told him.

“My Japanese paper!” Himchan shouted as he followed behind Yongguk towards their dorm.

“Are you two staying here?” Youngjae asked the two youngest members.

“Might as well. We’re here anyway. We don’t feel like going back to our dorm,” Junhong said.

“Besides, they’re doing something to our dorm building, so we’d rather stay away from that,” Jongup added.

About two hours later, Jongup found himself sleeping in an odd position, but he’s too lazy to reposition himself on the floor. So he just sleeps and lets his future self deal with the consequences.

~*~*~*~*~

Finals came and gone (Jongup passed all his classes with B+ and that’s good enough for him). Turns out, Yongguk’s parents went on a holiday, so he and his twin brother (who goes to a separate college) stayed behind, Junhong decided to go home since his mother is worried about him and practically dragged him home, and the others went home as well. Jongup is still here, bored out of his mind.

“What do you usually do for fun?” Yongguk asked him.

“Dancing. Sometimes video games,” Jongup answered, looking outside. He never really took the time to look outside, because finals were coming up and it made him roll around on the floor crying and almost resulting to alcohol when he was trying to study for his finals.

“Oh hey it’s snowing,” Jongup pointed out.

Yongguk got up from his spot on the couch and looked out. “Oh yeah, it is,” he said.

Jongup went towards his room and put on his winter coat, scarf, gloves, and a knitted beanie his aunt got him for those chilly nights.

“I’ll race you down there,” Jongup challenged.

Yongguk put on his own beanie and gloves and raced Jongup down the hall and towards the outside. Most of the students went home for the holidays. Others are simply inside to enjoy the break they’re getting because dealing with finals is a pain in the to deal with anyway. A select few decided to go outside and take advantage of the snowy outside. Jongup and Yongguk were one of them.

“I can’t remember the last time I’ve played in the snow,” Yongguk said, taking a handful and bunching them up into a ball.

“I was ten when I stopped. Playing alone wasn’t fun,” Jongup said, throwing a snowball at Yongguk when he least expected it.

Yongguk gasped at both the cold and the younger’s sudden attack. He threw the snowball at Jongup, but missed when Jongup missed. They began to have a playful snowball fight, with Yongguk missing Jongup by a few centimeters and Jongup getting his aim right. Before they knew it, the sun began to set. Both of their cheeks were tinged with pink from the cold.

“Hey Yongguk,” Jongup said, looking at the elder.

“What?” Yongguk asked, looking at the younger.

“Do you wanna build a snowman~?” Jongup sang, cracking a smile when Yongguk groaned, but hid his smile.

“Oh god, not you, too. I already deal with Himchan,” Yongguk said.

“But can we?” Jongup asked.

After a few minutes of begging from Jongup’s end, they decided to build a (much smaller) snowman, decked with Yongguk’s sunglasses, Jongup’s beanie, and a cigarette bud they found in the snow. Jongup took a picture of their snowman and saved it.

“What should we name him?” Yongguk asked, taking his sunglasses and stuffing them in his pocket.

“Jeff,” Jongup stated, putting the beanie back on his head.

“Why Jeff?”

“Why not?” Jongup asked.

Yongguk said nothing and began his walk back to his dorm, with Jongup following right behind him. It wasn’t the perfect winter break Yongguk expected, but it was pretty close


A/N: Meh. Finals are coming up and instead of being a good student, I have decided to upload story. I'm ignoring my responsibilities for the time being because I don't want them. So enjoy!