Six

How Far We've Come

To be honest, Jongup thought that his art history class would be a pain in the . He was so wrong. It was great. He was actually learning about different artworks and where they came from and how they were started. Minus the art museum paper he had to do, it was actually really cool. Especially with Yongguk and Hyosung making it bearable.

The class already ended and he and Yongguk went to go find his friends while Hyosung went her own separate way.

“I thought that the class was going to be boring. I was so wrong,” Yongguk confessed.

“So did I. Professor Vasquez actually knows what she’s teaching. Well, I looked her up on ratemyprofessor. They said she was the best in her area,” Jongup said.

“You did well, Jongup. Now let’s go see if we can find the rest of our friends. If I’m correct, my guess is that they’re in the student lounge, playing games or watching television,” Yongguk said.

“20 bucks says that they’re eating while playing games,” Jongup challenged.

“You’re on,” he said.

When they got to the student lounge, Yongguk slipped him a twenty, which made Jongup very happy. Their small group of friends were eating something from the cafeteria while they were playing some card game and being very loud.

“What are you losers even playing?” Jongup asked as they both pulled a chair and sat down.

“We’re watching Junhong kicking Himchan’s for the fifth time in a row,” Daehyun told them.

“He’s cheating, I know it. There’s no way you can beat me in this game,” Himchan stated.

“I play Junhong next,” Jongup called.

Himchan glared at him, which made Jongup smirk. Yongguk chuckled and watched Junhong and Himchan play another game.

“Which game is this?” Yongguk asked.

“Speed. Jongup and I saw it online, so we played against each other. And now here I am, kicking all of your asses,” Junhong said as he set the game up.

Yongguk watched as both he and Himchan flipped the single cards when they were placed. Junhong’s hands began to move like lightening, with a cursing Himchan that seemed a bit slow. After a few minutes, Junhong won and shouted it proudly.

“Dude, you’re way too loud,” Youngjae told him.

“He’s a sore winner. My turn,” Jongup said, sitting down across from Junhong and began to shuffle the cards.

“I’ll play winner,” Yongguk said.

“Sweet, you’ll be playing me,” Jongup said as he set the game.

“Please. I can still kick your ,” Junhong said, picking up his five cards.

“I kicked your yesterday, what are you talking about?” Jongup questioned, picking up his five.

They held the covered card in front of them and stared at each other, when their cards flipped, Yongguk swore that the cards came down like lightening. They both placed down cards before Yongguk could even blink. Before he knew it, both Junhong and Jongup had one card in their hand. They placed their hands over the untouched pile of cards on the side. They flipped it over and Jongup quickly placed his last card over one of them and shouted speed, causing everybody to turn their head.

“I said that way too loudly,” Jongup said, blushing a brilliant red and shuffling the cards.

“My turn. Scooch,” Yongguk told Junhong, who moved him out of his seat and began to watch them with the other members.

The game took two hours because of do-overs and other players.

They were kicked out.

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup and Junhong were lying down on the grass, enjoying the winter sun. The snow melted and now it was just the winter heat. It was still cold, but not that cold.

“Do you have a crush on Yongguk hyung?” Junhong asked him suddenly.

Jongup stared at him and raised an eyebrow.

“No I don’t. Why do you think that?” Jongup asked him.

“I don’t know. You two seemed to be getting along rather well, considering how awkward you two started out,” Junhong explained.

“I guess winter break does that to a person. I mean, we were the only two left in our small group, so we hung out together,” Jongup said, looking back up at the clouds.

“So you don’t have a crush on him?” Junhong asked again.

“No, Junhong, I don’t have a crush on him. Can we please change the subject?” Jongup asked.

“Did your parents come back from the cruise?” Junhong asked.

“They did. They didn’t bring anything back for me, just so you know, so we’re not getting gifts,” Jongup answered.

“My parents sent a care package for us again. Don’t you have to be at work at the bookstore?”

“Not for another hour. Which reminds me, auditions are being held again for the spring recital.”

“I’m not auditioning. Maybe for the fall recital, but not the spring one,” Junhong said, taking out a packet of sour gummy worms and eating them.

“Well I am. My dance teacher said that I dance like a natural, so it might be good for me to actually try,” Jongup said, stealing a few gummy worms from him.

“You do that, hyung. Meanwhile, I’ll be looking for a job outside of campus so that we can be able to have some extra spending money and maybe afford an apartment in the city,” Junhong said.

“That’s what Yonguk and Himchan are doing, and Daehyun and Youngjae. Except they’re going to be renting a house somewhere instead of an apartment,” Jongup said, sitting up and crossing his legs.

“That’s what I heard, too. I should get going. My class starts in half an hour and my professor hates it when I’m late. See ya,” Junhong said, getting up and dusting himself off.

“Can I have your gummy worms?” Jongup asked.

Junhong glared at him and continued to eat his sweets and walked off towards the science building. Jongup got up from his spot and began to walk around. On the bulletin boards were really old and yellowed notices that were there since he took his orientation campus tour, with a few stubs still stuck on the paper. Jongup is surprised that they’re still together and still up. Some are about rentals in the city, some are about lost items, and others are about books that were possibly already sold. He continued walking.

He walked towards the campus center, where he found a couple of stands selling items for a really reasonable price. Jongup didn’t want to be rude, so he decided to take refuge in the library. He needed to do some reading. He never could find a reasonable place to read anywhere. And maybe the internet would work this time. (Stupid internet hours and stupid people for logging on all at once.)

He entered the library and saw different people either doing homework, reading, or sleeping. He doesn’t blame them. Maybe he should sleep in the library. He just needed to remember to set his alarm so that he could wake himself up.

“Jongup?” someone called out.

He turned his head and saw Himchan with Daehyun, writing something down.

“What are you two doing?” Jongup asked as he walked towards them.

“We’re doing a report on a rock band. I’m doing ZZ Top while Dae is doing Led Zeppelin,” Himchan explained.

“Who are they?” Jongup asked.

“No idea. Our professor is giving us until the end of the semester to figure it out. We need to figure out the days they’ve formed the band, the members and how they met, how they came up with the name, etc. It’s basically our final project,” Daehyun explained, looking through different books while Himchan used the internet.

“Sound boring,” Jongup said, sitting down next to Daehyun.

“Not really. They’re actually pretty fascinating,” Daehyun said.

“What are you doing in the library, Jongup?” Himchan asked him.

“Probably sleep or something. I couldn’t get a lot of sleep last night,” Jongup said, rubbing his tired eyes.

“Do you want us to wake you up?” Himchan asked.

“Nah, it’s okay. You two finish up what you need to get done. I’ll set up an alarm for myself to wake up to,” Jongup told them.

“Alright. But just remember, we offered,” Daehyun told him.

Jongup waved them off and found a nice corner to sleep in.

And sleep he took.

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup is an adult. He has a working career. He’s planning on renting an apartment with Junhong in their sophomore year. He’s a working adult.

Yet here he is, babysitting his teacher’s kids in his dorm, finger painting and building a fort for the kids.

Where did his life go wrong?

Oh yeah, when he accepted this offer.

To be honest, it paid a lot.

“Jonguppie, we’re hungry,” one of the kids said.

Around the circle were nine kids, looking at him and pointed at their stomachs.

“I’ll see what I can make,” Jongup said, getting up and going towards their small fridge to find something for the little ones to eat.

So far he found three packets of ramen, a box frozen pizza that hasn’t been touched in months (and was growing mold. Or a new species), and three sodas. Well, it looks like ramen it is.

“Jongup? Why are there nine mini humans in the living room?” he heard Junhong ask.

“Our dance instructor was desperate and asked if I can watch her and the dance department’s kids. They offered me 20 an hour for each kid,” Jongup told him.

“Do you need help?” Junhong asked him.

Please! They need food and all we have in here is ramen. And not even the good kind,” Jongup said, looking at the packet of ramen in his hands.

“Yeah, I’m calling Yongguk. He knows what to do,” Junhong said, taking his phone out and began to dial Yongguk’s number.

“Jonguppie! Come play dress-up with us,” one of the girls said, tugging Jongup out of the kitchen and towards the living room where the other girls were.

Jongup let them drag into the living room, looking at Junhong with pleading eyes, who just bit his lip to suppress a laugh. This was gonna be a long night.

Meanwhile, Yongguk heard his phone go off and looked at the ID.

“Who is it?” Himchan asked, trying to see who was calling Yongguk.

“Junhong,” he said, pressing the green button. “Junhong, what’s up?”

“Hey Yongguk. What do you know about childcare?” Junhong asked.

“That depends. Why?” he asked.

“Jongup is taking care of our dance teacher’s kids, plus the rest of the dance departments’ kids. We need help,” Junhong answered.

“Alright, I’ll be down there soon. Do you want me to bring anything?” Yongguk asked.

“Food for the kids would be nice. Jongup was going to feed them instant ramen,” Junhong said.

That’s the only food we have left in the fridge, you potato!

“Was that Jongup?” Yongguk asked, trying to bite down his laughter.

“Unfortunately. He’s trying to make sure that he doesn’t curse around small children,” Junhong explained.

“Alright, well I can run down to the supermarket real quick and get the kids something to eat,” Yongguk offered.

“You’re a lifesaver. But my guess is that you need to hurry. One of the girls is playing dress up with Jongup. Oh and she found the make-up,” Junhong said.

Yongguk hung up his phone and got up from his seat on the couch.

“Where are you going?” Himchan asked him.

“The kids need help in taking care of smaller kids. I need to run down to the supermarket and see if they have any food for children,” Yongguk said, getting his keys and wallet.

“I might as well help. If I call in Youngjae and Daehyun, I’m sure they’ll help out as well,” Himchan offered, taking his cell phone out.

“I’m sure they would need all the help they could get. Call them up and we’ll both run down to the supermarket,” Yongguk told him.

~*~*~*~*~

When the four entered Junhong and Jongup’s dorm, this was not what they expected.

Junhong was covered in glitter and make-up, while Jongup’s hair was pulled back in tiny ponytails and had a tiara on top of his head with lipstick done messily around his face and cheeks, while they were both tied up with what appeared to be a jump rope and twenty children sleeping in a dog pile.

“Should we ask?” Daehyun asked, biting his lip to suppress his laughter.

“You mention this to anyone and I’m gonna post those pictures of all of you at the bar. Trust me. You do not want them online,” Jongup threatened.

Youngjae walked up to them and untied them, finally free of the rope’s clutches.

“So you said they were hungry. We brought the kids food,” Yongguk told them.

“Yeah, that’s one of the reasons why they tied us up. Now they’re hungry and our dance teacher isn’t coming home for another three hours,” Junhong said, walking towards the bathroom to get the make-up and glitter off his face.

“When did they fall asleep?” Himchan asked, looking at the small children sleeping.

“About twenty minutes ago. I’m sure if you put the food in the microwave or whatever, I’m sure they’ll smell it,” Jongup answered.

“We’re making mac-and-cheese. I’m sure that it’s good enough for them,” Yongguk told him.

“Good enough with me. Now let’s get cooking,” Jongup said, looking through the bag.

About three hours later, someone knocked on the door. Yongguk got up and answered it.

“Is this the right dorm?” an older male with a button up black shirt, black jeans, Jordan sneakers, and a snapback asked.

“Hi Ricky!” Jongup greeted, moving Yongguk out of the way and inviting his dance teacher in.

“Hey Jongup. They weren’t much trouble, were they?” Ricky asked him.

“No, they’re fine. They’re sleeping right now,” Jongup told him.

All the children were sprawled on the floor, sharing a giant Winnie the Pooh blanket that Yongguk brought over and another blanket for the others.

“Hey kiddies. Time to go home,” Ricky told the sleeping kids.

“I don’t wanna,” one of the kids whined.

“I’m sorry, but we need to go. Your mommies and daddies are waiting for you,” he told them, getting his wallet out and handing a wad of cash to Jongup.

“This is way more than you promised,” Jongup said, looking at the money.

“Yeah well, we had a lot of money to spare. Spend it wisely,” Ricky told him, gathering all the kids and ushering them out the door.

Jongup split the money evenly and handed it to all of his friends.

“We must never speak of this,” Himchan told them.

“Agreed,” they all muttered.

“Where did they get the glue?” Daehyun asked.


A/N: There was an attempt. I am so sorry. I got distracted.