Un

How Far We've Come

The sun cracked a little through the blinds. Jongup rolled over on the other side so that the sun wouldn’t hit his sleepy face. It was too early to deal with it. He groaned softly when he heard someone using the toilet and flushed. It made a noise through the walls and he decided to finally open his eyes. Trust his roommate to get up early in the morning. Speaking of, his roommate decided to burst through the door to finally wake him up.

“Oh Jonguppie hyung! Time to get up~!” his roommate, Junhong, sang out.

Jongup groaned and slowly sat up from his bed. He rubbed his tired eyes with the palm of his hands. He took the covers off and felt the cool air hitting his exposed legs. He shivered lightly and got up from the bed. He made his way towards his tiny little bathroom that only had a toilet. The dorm bathroom had a working shower and sink, but Jongup didn’t need to go there right now. Right now, he needs to take a piss, and he’s going to take one.

After a few minutes of using the toilet, he emerged from the bathroom and ran his fingers through his hair.

“What time’s your class?” Junhong asked him when Jongup finally emerged from his room.

“Another hour? Two? I don’t even know. I don’t even know what time it is,” Jongup said truthfully. It was way too early for him to remember.

“It’s nine-thirty,” Junhong answered him, fetching his key card to the dorm and his and Jongup’s bag.

“Then yeah, another two hours. Why did you even wake me up at this time?” Jongup asked, going to his room to get dressed, seeing as how Junhong was glaring at his poor fashion sense.

“We’re meeting up with some friends for breakfast,” Junhong told him.

Jongup groaned. “That requires me to socialize. I don’t like socializing. Plus, they’re always your friends,” he told him, changing out of his pajama shirt and into a clean shirt.

“You need social interaction. I don’t want to have to drag you out of the dance studio again. You need to meet people,” he told him, watching as he took off his pajama pants and into a pair of sweats. “Really? Not even real pants?”

“Shut up. It’s comfy and nice and I’m too lazy to change into jeans. Plus I have a dance class today. I don’t feel like making a stop here and changing into a pair of sweats,” Jongup explained.

Junhong only rolled his eyes and gave Jongup’s bag to him. He thanked him and grabbed his own key card and they were out the door.

~*~*~*~*~

Yongguk woke up to Himchan slapping him upside the head. He groaned and buried his body deep within the covers.

“Oh no you don’t. You promised me that you’ll come with me to eat in the cafeteria with some friends. I am not let you sleep the whole day again,” Himchan told him, yanking off the covers from the bed.

“Okay, that was one time and I didn’t have class that day. My intro to music theory class doesn’t start for another four hours,” Yongguk told him.

“Yeah sure. Get up. We’re meeting some friends today,” Himchan told him.

“Is it that weird kid that ate all my food?” Yongguk asked, changing out of his clothes.

“He’ll be joining us. I’m also showing around some freshmen around campus,” he told him, leaving his room.

“It’s October. Why are you showing them around now?” Yongguk asked, slipping on a loose fitting shirt and slipped on a jacket.

“I found them getting lost on the way to Black Bean Coffee and I told them that I would show them around the place,” Himchan explained.

Yongguk rolled his eyes and pulled up a clean pair of jeans. Which reminded him; he needs to do laundry.

“Hey, you got the key card for the dorm?” Himchan asked him.

“Why, did you lose yours again?” Yongguk asked, slipping his wallet, phone, and key card in his pocket.

“The RA refused to get me a new one after the sixth lost key card. I need a new one,” Himchan muttered the last part to himself.

Yongguk didn’t know whether to laugh or feel sorry for his friend. He decided the former. It earned him a slap from Himchan.

“What? You have to admit that it’s hilarious,” Yongguk told him, setting up his bed and placed his tigger doll in front of his pillows.

“I’ve always wondered what would happen if I placed your tigger doll outside our window and write ‘Yongguk still sleeps with a doll’. I wonder how your dating lifestyle will change,” Himchan said.

Yongguk glared at him and was about to hit him, but Himchan was quicker and grabbed Yongguk’s bag and tossed it to him.

“Let’s go. I promised to meet them a few minutes ago,” Himchan told him.

“Can I at least use the bathroom?” Yongguk asked.

Himchan tossed him a packet of gum. “You can use the bathroom there,” Himchan told him.

Yongguk only rolled his eyes, but followed right behind his friend towards the mess hall.

~*~*~*~*~

Jongup got one of those English egg muffins that was served in a plastic bag along with a piece of bread with sugar on it that reminded him of a turtle and a carton of milk. He paid for his food and walked behind Junhong towards a table.

“Word of advice; I suggest you hide your food. One of my friends likes to steal food from people. Also, if he asks for a bite of your food, don’t do it. He takes a large chunk of it,” Junhong told him.

Jongup thinks that this person is an .

The two arrived at a table with two other people sitting there already. One had dirty blond hair and had piles and piles of wrappers around him. The other has pitch black hair with puffy cheeks. It reminded Jongup of a hamster with too much food in its mouth.

“Junhong! How are you?” the one with black hair greeted.

“I’m doing well, thanks. I had to drag my roommate along. Is that okay?” Junhong asked, sitting across from the boy with dirty blond hair.

“That’s fine. Also, Himchan just texted me and he’s coming real soon. Also, he’s bringing his roommate, too,” the one with dirty blond hair responded. “I’m Jung Daehyun, by the way.”

“I’m Youngjae. You’re Jongup, right?” Youngjae asked.

“Yes I am. It’s nice to meet you,” Jongup greeted, opening his sweet bread and tasting it. Soggy. Of course.

Jongup mostly tuned out through the entire conversation. He was enjoying his soggy sweet bread, until he felt eyes burning the back of his head. He ignored it and finished the last of his bread. He’ll eat the muffin later.

“Jongup!” a voice called out to him.

He looked up and saw two new figures who were sitting across from him.

“We’ve been calling your name for ten minutes. What’s going on in your head?” Junhong asked him.

“World domination and how to plot your assassination,” Jongup told him in a serious tone.

Daehyun snorted and covered his mouth to control his laughter. Youngjae just smiled and bit his lip to stop laughing. Junhong rolled his eyes.

“You were not. I bet you were thinking of puppies,” Junhong said.

“Who said that puppies were not part of your assassination and world domination?” Jongup questioned.

One of the guys looked at the other and it almost looked like a pleading look. The latter only rolled his eyes and continued to drink his black coffee. The second figure looked really familiar.

“Anyway, Jongup this is Yongguk and Himchan. Himchan was the one that helped us find our way back to our dorm,” Junhong introduced.

Jongup only waved at them and drank his milk, but made a sour face when he swallowed something chunky.

“I told you not to take the milk,” Junhong told him.

“So that’s what that weird noise was. I thought you were practicing something,” Jongup told him, throwing away the carton of milk.

Junhong rolled his eyes and continued conversing with his friends. Jongup rolled his eyes and decided to observe.

Daehyun laughs the loudest, he noticed. He always has a eating grin on his face when he thinks he’s being sneaky and stealing Youngjae’s food. Youngjae doesn’t give a , seeing as how he ate a breakfast burrito. Daehyun also has what Jongup likes to call vampire teeth. Mostly because they stick out the most from the rest of his teeth.

Youngjae is a smartass. He discovered that when Himchan made some sort of comment that he didn’t hear and Youngjae shot back a comment that earned a smack from Himchan. He also noticed that Youngjae is smart, what will all those books and textbooks that were right next to his bag. (Jongup thinks that it won’t all fit into that one tiny bag.)

Junhong is a given. He’s his dorm mate. The first time they met, he remembered them greeting each other, told each other that they were dance majors, and then realized that Junhong is a social butterfly. Which is strange since Jongup is completely anti-social. It worked either way.

Himchan, Jongup noticed, likes to nag a lot. Whether it’s about Yongguk’s posture, Daehyun eating with his mouth open and laughing with food in his mouth, or trying to baby him and Junhong. He’s pretty sure by the end of the semester, Himchan is going to baby him and nag him to be more sociable. He already has one person to nag him into making more friends; he does not need another one. Especially considering how motherly Himchan seems to be.

Yongguk… Yongguk is a tricky one, Jongup seems to figure out. He has a very blank expression. To be honest, Jongup probably does, too. He just woke up and was dragged out of bed by Junhong to meet people. That was not on his list of things to do. He’ll figure Yongguk out eventually.

“Jongup!” Junhong called out in his ear.

Jongup winced and glared at him. He needs coffee. Lots and lots of coffee.

“We’ve been calling your name for twelve minutes,” Youngjae told him.

“Sorry. I was spacing out,” Jongup confessed, pressing his chin against the table.

“Yah! Don’t do that! Who knows how many germs are on these tables!” Himchan stated, trying to lift Jongup’s chin up.

Jongup swatted his hand away and rubbed his chin lightly.

“What were you spacing out this time?” Junhong asked him.

“Nothing of importance. Which reminds me, I have a class in an hour. I need to get my ready and head on over there,” Jongup said, getting up from the table.

“, you’re right. We’ll talk to you guys later!” Junhong said, getting up from his seat and following right behind Jongup to get their equipment and head on over to dance class.

~*~*~*~*~

“Well, they were interesting,” Himchan concluded, eating a muffin from the muffin cart.

“I like Jongup. He’s quiet, but he makes me laugh,” Daehyun said.

“He seems awkward, like he doesn’t get out and talk to people that much,” Youngjae said.

Yongguk said nothing. Jongup had almost a blank face on. It looked like he was exhausted and was ready for a two hour nap or something.

“Yongguk, what did you think of them?” Himchan asked him.

“I don’t know. It’s too early for me to decide,” Yongguk told him.

“I heard that the Junhong kid is trying to be a rapper. And that Jongup is one of the top dancers in his class,” Youngjae said.

“They’re freshmen. How could you possibly heard that?” Yongguk asked him.

“I listen to freshmen girls’ conversations. They said that they perform at some local club or something. I think it’s once a month. Daehyun was there one time,” Youngjae said.

“It’s an underground club. The kid goes by Zelo. I guess it’s to keep his identity a secret or something. The place is dark enough anyway, but you can still see him. He’s good, but he needs more experience,” Daehyun said.

“Didn’t you say that you used to work at an underground club?” Himchan asked Yongguk.

“Not that I know of,” Yongguk lied. “I need to head to the library. I need to finish some homework.”

“Alright. Hey, can I borrow your key card? I need to get my books from my room,” Himchan asked.

“If I give you my key card, you’re going to lose it. Why don’t you wait outside and wait for someone to let you in,” Yongguk suggested.

Himchan groaned, but did as he was told. Yongguk waved goodbye to Daehyun and Youngjae and headed on towards the library, hopefully away from Himchan and his nagging.

-----

A/N: To be honest, I have no idea what I'm doing. But so far I like it.