Two; Conflicts

1221

Jongdae and Kyungsoo didn't talk to each other for days even after they were paired up. Jongdae stuck to Baekhyun and Luhan during their vocal trainings, till Luhan could not stand it anymore.

"Yah, why are you sticking to us like glue? Go practice with your partner!"
"Can we switch partners? Please? Pretty please?"
"No, it's set by the company reps! We would get in trouble. Plus, Baek and I are almost done with our preparations!"
"Continue with your practice then, I'll just stick around."
"Wh--" Luhan had opened his mouth, only to close them again in defeat. "I know you don't get along with Kyungsoo. But you guys didn't even TRY!"

Baekhyun, who was silent during the whole conversation, suddenly spoke up and broke the tension. 

"How about we four prepare together?"

Two pairs of eyes stared at him like it was the worst suggestion in the world.

 


 

The four vocalists performed Open Arms together during the monthly evaluations. They wow-ed everyone in the room, yet still failed the test for disobeying orders. The company representative had shouted at them because "WHERE ARE THE PAIRINGS THAT I MADE" "YOU'RE NOT RESPECTING MY DECISIONS" "WE NEED ARTISTS WITH COMPLETE OBEDIENCE" and stomped out of the room.

Jongdae felt bad that his relationship with Kyungsoo had jeopardised the training of the other two. He resolved to improve the relationship with Kyungsoo.

 


 

Jongdae approached Kyungsoo with a bottle of water after their dance practice. He offered the water to the younger silently, only to be stared at, hatred amidst the poker face on Kyungsoo's face. Kyungsoo then got up to his feet and walked off, ignoring the arm reached out to pass him the bottle.

"Hey!" Jongdae had exclaimed, indignant at being treated that way.
"Are you acting nice? Because you're failing terribly." Kyungsoo stopped in his tracks and asked.
"Wh-what?!" 
"Kim Jongdae." Kyungsoo had said nonchanlantly. "I respect you as a singer, but nothing else."

Jongdae's eyes had widened before spinning around to stare at the younger man.

"And you." He was seething with anger now.
"You're just jealous that I can sing better." Jongdae scoffs.

Kyungsoo shrugged before leaving the practice room. "Think what you like."

 


 

The past few days, Jongdae was having problems with his pitches. He had been observing Kyungsoo and was amazed by how the younger could hit each note stably and easily.

Jongdae didn't want to admit that Kyungsoo, as much of an as he was, was a better singer than himself.

Jongdae cleared his throat before trying to hit the high note once more, and he failed again, choking on air at the same moment and becoming a coughing mess on the floor. In an instant, a flustered Baekhyun was by his side, along with a clueless Yixing (Jongdae had finally learnt his name), a worried Minseok and Kyungsoo.

"Jongdae are you okay?" Baekhyun had shouted. "Someone get a bottle of water!" 

When Yixing had ran off for a minute and came back asking "Where's the water??", Minseok stood and showed Yixing where the boxes of water were.

Jongdae was finding it really hard to breathe. He was starting to panic because - what if he dies? - and his wheezing became worse. Baekhyun looked around and tears were in his eyes.

"Soo.. help me.. help him! Help him!" Baekhyun had screamed, helpless at the situation. Grabbing the arm of Kyungsoo, he pleaded, "Hel..p him." before bursting out in tears.

Kyungsoo, eyes wide with shock, finally snapped out of it and kneeled down beside the barely conscious Jongdae.

"Kim Jongdae, calm down and breathe. Breathe and calm the down."

What Jongdae heard was a calming voice talking to him, and a gentle hand rubbing his chest. When he finally calmed down enough to breathe, the hand had retracted away. Jongdae wondered who was it, before he passed out.