Chapter 2: Growl

Scorched memories

April 12 X214 was when it all started. The day that EXO fought back. There was nothing they could do. It was unexpected.

They were celebrating Sehun’s birthday…When they came.

“Saeng il Chu ka hamnida, saeng il chu ka hamnida, sarang ha neun sehunnie, saeng il chu ka hamnida!!!”

“Make a wish sehun”

Chanyeol handed the cake over to sehun. It wasn’t the best cake in the world but it was all the hyungs could do for sehun and they made it with love.

“I wish….that it would all stop. No more hate. No more pain. No more sadness. I wish that my hyungs would smile more, smile and make the world a better place…”

He blew the candle and everything fell into darkness. There was no light. Even on this happy day, one of the only days the members could celebrate about anything.

Even in the nothingness, they could feel each other’s need, the need for someone to care for them. The need for happiness. But they had each other. Sehun had Luhan.

All at once everything happened. The light and they were trapped. The only way out were the stairs…down the side of the building. Before they even considered the dangers, they ran. Ran for their lives. The only chance they had was that place. Where nobody knew about. Not even their managers…

Panting and gasping for breath, they hid in the shadows once more. This time they were in a dance studio.

 Abandoned. Dark. Desolate. It was the only place they were free to be themselves. Sehun looked around then flicked on the light. Unlike the apartment, the light seemed familiar, less dominating, less cold.

“We have to go back” It was the first time Xiumin had spoken that evening.

“They’ll kill us. Beat us. Torture us Hyung. We don’t stand a chance.” Kris was the only one who could answer. Everyone was too shocked, too stunned by the nights events.

“They have never attacked us before. Not personally and certainly not with so many. They wanted to do damage this time.” 11 Pairs of eyes looked at Suho.

The leader had spoken. The leader felt there was nothing to justify what the sasaengs did.

“We have to fight back. This will only get worse.”

Kai couldn’t take it anymore. They were all going insane.

“But how? How will 12 of us go against the thousands of them?!”

“We have the will power. The team work. We're Family Kai, brothers. You know that if we work together we can do anything. Never let go. Never let it die. Follow the light and you will find a way. We. Are. One. Does everyone remember that?”

“Our families put candles outside for a reason. To tell us we could go home. Home where people were waiting to greet us, to love us and care for us. You saw what they did. They tortured our families.” Baekhyun had been standing quietly in the corner before this moment. Ever since his mother was murdered, the once loud and chirpy voice had faded, “They killed younger children. They threatened the weak. Just to get to us. Yet we didn’t do anything. We couldn’t. Our families died because they rather they lost their lives than lose ours. They gave everything away for us. We have the chance now.”

“We have to go Kai,” His eyes bore deep into his dongsaeng’s, “It’s Now…or Never.”

“But hyung I…I don’t want to lose any of you. None of you. Promise that we’ll all come back. Promise that we will all be safe after this?”

“Of course Kai. Of course.”

Kai smiled up at his hyung. Leaning against baekhyun’s leg felt reassuring. His eyelids began to close as he fell into a restless sleep…

“Sehun. Sehun.”

“Hyung…Just a little longer…please…just a few more…minutes……..”

“Sehun Get Up Now!”

Luhan was shaking Sehun gently, then less gentle, then…lets just say…not so nicely.

“Sehun get up. It’s time to go. We have to leave now.”

“Where are we going?”

“The SM Building.”

“But...they’re there...all of them...no...I don’t want to go...I won’t!”

“Please. It’s the only way. Never Let it go. Never let it die....”

“Follow the light and you will find a way. I know hyung I know.”

“You forgot the most important bit.”

“We. Are. One.”

As Luhan walked away, Sehun looked around. From the corner of his eye he saw baekhyun slip a piece of paper into a box.

“Hyung!” Chen was standing at the door, “The streets are empty. We have to go now!”

His voice was hoarse. His eyes puffy. The maknae saw his hyungs all the time but never saw them cry. Tao was the only one who openly did. He was afraid, as was Sehun. Kai was in the corner. As their eyes met they came to a mutual agreement...We have to go. We have to. For the hyungs.