Chapter 1: Stuck in the past

Scorched memories

Dark clouds, cool breeze. The smell of burning wood was heavy in the air. A single shadow was walking towards the river, its surface rippled as the wind skimmed the surface with fatal delicacy. Shadow fell over his face as the night became a veil of mystery. He took something small from his pocket and held it close. A candle. He lit the flame, allowing the golden light bathe his face with a warm glow, welcoming to those who were trapped in darkness. Sehun. The youngest of the most hated group on EXO Planet. His eyes were far from happy. Happiness occurred so rarely that it was near impossible. He held the candle gently. As he watched the weary flame flicker and waver, he recalled the memories which remained in his mind all too vividly. Fire. Destruction. Hatred seething in every corner of the planet. They were never accepted. All the maknae has left are his hyungs.

Being there alone away from the rest, allowed him to think. Think of what he could do. The night was so calm and peaceful yet…why did he feel like there was only panic and anxiety in his heart? 

“Never let go. Never let it die. Follow the light and you will find a way. We. Are. One.”

As he spoke these words, he looked up at the stars. Such small lights yet they shone so brightly. Just like his hyungs, no matter how hard. Tears streamed from his eyes. Tears of pain and anguish. Why does everyone hate us? Is it so wrong to love?

As he closed his eyes, a single drop fell to streak his pale skin, scarring his face with the mark of a fallen angel. As this tear fell to the deep waters below, he opened his eyes where the ghost of his past lurked, lying in wait for the moment when it would hurt him most to remember.

It’s all my fault. My hyungs got hurt. At least they’re still with me. But they hate me don’t they? I ran away without them. What should I do?!

Nothing would bring back his happiness. Nothing would be able to help him go back in time.

He pulled his hood further over his head, hiding his face in shadow. Not even the light from the candle could penetrate that darkness over his head. Not a glimmer came from his eye. The once youthful and lively soul was gone, replaced by a demon of darkness.

The wax melted as he stood there in silence, dripping with tantalising slowness, before being consumed by the dregs left below.

 Drip. Drip. Drip. Sehun caught a droplet on his finger and looked at it with a smile. It was my birthday.