Finally

28 Steps

March 1st was an example of what spring had to offer. The sun had finally made its appearance back into the world, birds chirped, and one didn’t have to trek out into the day in a full winter coat. It would have been a nice day had it not been debut day.

Minji and Hyoyeon were sitting in the front seats of the recording studio, waiting for 15Dolls’s turn to perform. Kai was backstage with the director working through details. The show would be prerecorded, but they were only given three takes before they had to get off stage. Minji wrung her hands nervously as she watched some boy group perform.

Hyoyeon leaned over and whispered, “How come every dude up there is blonde?”

Minji giggled, “I don’t know, but the one that just did like five backflips is pretty cute.”

Four other groups went on stage, singing songs either about a guy begging some girl to call him oppa, or about begging some oppa to love a girl. 15Dolls’s song was about the blooming of flowers or something with underlying ual meaning.

Kai slid into the seat next to Hyoyeon and sighed. “Only three of them are crying, so it might go well.”

Hyoyeon exhaled, “Let’s just hope they can get this together.”

           The lights dimmed in the studio and the director called 15Dolls’s name. When the lights came back on, the girls were standing in their positions. Their fast tempo music began to play. The girls’ voices were steady and their dance moves were precise. Minji felt like a proud mother watching her kids grow up and leave her.

           When their performance was finished, everyone in the audience gave them a round of applause.

           Minji, Hyoyeon, and Kai left their seats to go and congratulate the girls and give them bags of candy since the majority hadn’t tasted sugar in more than six months. Minji felt like a weight had been lifted off her back, but was then quickly replaced by the fact that she was officially out of a job.

           Kai squeezed Hyoyeon and Minji into a bear hug, “I can’t believe we survived this.”

           “It’s finally over,” Hyoyeon breathed a sigh of relief.

           “I need another job,” Minji said.

           “Oh yeah, you’re out of work aren’t you? I hear they’re hiring at Hooters,” Hyoyeon teased while poking Minji’s s.

           “You’re leaving us,” Kai said sullenly. “Well, since we are no longer coworkers, I guess I can finally ask you this question. Minji, will you—”         

           “Whoa, look at those big flowers!” Hyoyeon shouted. Hyoyeon really was an embarrassing person to hang out with.

           Minji turned to look at the white Oriental lilies Hyoyeon was referring to. Suho popped out his head from behind them.

           “Suho, what are you doing here?” Kai said, a bit agitated.

           “I came to congratulate you guys are your job well done,” Suho smiled handing the flowers to Hyoyeon and Minji. “For the beautiful Hyoyeon,” Suho said, handing her a baby blue Tiffany box. Inside were two diamond earrings.

           “Hell yeah,” Hyoyeon responded.

           “For my best friend Kai,” Suho said, handing him a gold Rolex watch.

           “And for the gorgeous Minji.” He handed her a Tiffany box like Hyoyeon’s, but inside was a brooch shaped like a dove with diamonds set in the platinum and rose gold tracing the swirls of its feathers. “I remember at the party how you told me about the brooch that your family used to own, but had to sell when times got tough. You said you’d seen it only in pictures, so I tried to find something like it for you.”

           Minji ran her thumb over the brooch and felt the cool diamonds tickle her skin. “Suho, I can’t accept a gift like this.”

           “None of us can,” Kai added.

           “Speak for yourselves,” Hyoyeon said hugging Suho.

           “I’ve seen how exhausted all three of you have looked for these past two months. And, quite frankly, your pay won’t reward you as much as it should. Now, please stop denying yourselves and join me for dinner at my house!” Suho declared.

           “Will you adopt me, Suho?” Hyoyeon asked, still attached to Suho.

           “Anything for you my love.”

 


 

 

           “Driving in a Maserati is nice,” Minji said to Kai as she lounged on Suho’s terrace.

           They had just finished their meal of Kobe beef served with a light salad and a rich red wine while overlooking the skyline of the city.

           “It was nice. Suho’s a good friend,” Kai said drowsily, his eyes slightly closed.

           “Good friends help you move into your apartment. Angels bestowed to you by God send their butler to Japan just to get you a cut of meat,” Minji corrected. “How did Suho even get all of this money?”

“CEO at 23,” Kai yawned, his eyes beginning to droop down, but soon opened back up. “Minji.”

           Minji looked up from her wine glass. Kai was staring right at her, boring holes in her face.

           “I’ve been trying to ask you something all day.”

           “What is it?”

           “Would you go out on a date with me?” he asked rather bluntly.

           Minji gulped in air. “Wow, why would you want to do a thing like that with me?”

           Kai turned around in his chair to face her. “I’ve liked you for a long time. Ever since I first saw you at the studio, I thought you were so cute when you were so flustered. And then I got to know you, and I learned how talented and funny you are, and I wanted you even more. I was going to ask this question a long time ago, but every time I tried to, I became afraid, or someone or thing interrupted me. Also I’m contractually obligated not to date my coworkers, but since you no longer work there, the right time has finally come. So, what do you say?”

   Minji nodded her head rapidly. “Yeah, yeah. Definitely. Anywhere, anytime.”