Step One

28 Steps

Yo, this has some foul language, so if you are sensitive to curse words, don't read. I didn't want to rate this as M since it has no in it, and, let's be honest, is the only reason to go into the rated M section. 

 

 

 


 

Minji collapsed upon the floor and stared up at the ceiling. She had been running through a dance for the past two hours. Her legs felt shaky and weak, and her t- shirt was plastered to her chest, wet with sweat. Chaerin told her to go home hours ago, but Minji knew that if you didn’t perfect the routine, she’d be mercilessly ridiculed by the company that hired her. She got off her back and took a sip of her water bottle when the door opened.

   “Excuse me. I didn’t know this studio was in use,” Minji said, getting up without looking at the person.

“It’s okay, I can leave,” a man’s voice said.

   Minji looked up to see a tall man smiling at her. His jaw was perfectly chiseled, with tanned skin, and deep dark brown eyes. Minji cursed herself for not putting on makeup and kept her head low.

"No, no, you stay. I don't belong here anyway," Minji said quickly grabbing her things. From the side of her eye, she could see the man smiling.

She could hear him protesting, but she quickly walked out and closed the door behind her. She grabbed her phone out of her bag and quickly dialed Chaerin’s number.

“Hello.”

“Oh my god, Chaerin, the cutest guy came into my studio while I was practicing. It was so embarrassing, I don’t even know why I exist.” Minji moaned.

“Did he see you trying to moonwalk?” Chaerin asked.

“No, I was resting.”

“Well then it couldn’t have been that terrible.”

“What are you trying to say about my moonwalk?”

“Nothing. Now did you take a picture?”

“Why would I take a picture?”

“So I can confirm that he’s cute. The guys you choose to like are, most of the time, ugly as hell.”

“What does it matter anyway? I’ll probably never see him again.”

“Honey, this is a fanfic, of course you’re gonna see him again.”

“What?” Minji asked, but Chaerin had already hung up the phone.

 


 

 

Minji unlocked the door to her apartment. She lived in a tiny studio with a simple bed with no frame and a blanket on top, a folded table and chair in the corner, with bare beige walls. She had just moved from living with Chaerin and her new boyfriend Kris a month ago. The sounds that emanated from their bedroom nightly became too much for Minji to handle, so she found a little apartment on the other side of town that she could afford. It was nice living on her own. She didn’t have to worry about Chaerin eating her food or stealing her clothes. She could sit in silence whenever she wanted to, or make as much noise that she wanted as long as it didn’t disturb the neighbors. Living on her own was just dandy up until Minji found a spider in her room that she had to kill. That’s generally when got too real.

Minji sat down on her bed and rubbed her sore feet. She had earned the bruises and blisters from her week of nonstop practicing. She had just finished the choreography of the routine she had made from some up and coming girl group that would debut soon, but she didn’t know if the girls could do it. They seemed soft and like they’re only purpose was to be pretty, but she still wanted to go through with it. If she had to adjust for them, then she would.

Minji’s phone buzzed in her bag. She grabbed it to see a text message from Chaerin.

Girl, get over here! Kris invited some of his friends over, and they is fine!

Minji sighed.

My feet hurt, Minji complained.

A few minutes later, Chaerin responded with, Does this face looks like it gives a about your feet?, along with a picture of Chaerin’s face that clearly looked like it did not give a .

Minji groaned and dragged her body to the shower.

 


 

 

Minji stopped her car at Chaerin’s house. Inside were what seemed like 20,000 people, sitting, standing, talking to one another. Her social anxiety began to kick in and she had the familiar urge of wanting to strangle Chaerin. She wished she had put on a little more makeup that night.

She found Chaerin sitting at the kitchen table on Kris’s lap talking to some other people she didn’t know.

“You didn’t tell me this was a ing party?!” Minji yelled over the noise to Chaerin.

“Are you not going to say hello to Kris?” Chaerin asked gesturing at him.

Minji bowed her head to Kris who in return bowed his. It was awkward as hell.

“Thank you. And if I told you it was party, you wouldn’t have come,” Chaerin explained.

“Exactly my point.”

Chaerin got off of Kris’s lap and directed her back to the living room.

“Look Minji, look with your eyes. Look at all these beautiful men. Beautiful, single men. One of them is sure to like you,” Chaerin motioned around the room, making Minji look at them. They were, in fact, beautiful, to the point that it almost hurt her eyes to look at them. Minji admired them in silence when her eyes landed on one in particular. She could sense that she had seen him before when suddenly she remember his face: the studio.

Minji pulled Chaerin into the hallway, “The guy who I ran into at the studio is here.”

“Which one is he?”

Minji peeked around the wall and pointed at him.

“Oh that’s Kris’s friend Kai. Yeah, he’s cute as hell, you need to get on that.”

“He’s so out of my league. He’s a ten, I’m a three.”

“Do not say that Minji, you are at least a seven and a quarter. Now go talk to him,” Chaerin encouraged, spanking Minji’s back into the living room.

Chaerin went to go sit back on Kris’s lap and left Minji alone to her own devices which she thought was a pretty bad idea on Chaerin’s part. Minji went into the kitchen to get a glass of water when a guy named Sehun, a name that sound strangely like a vegetable’s, talked to her. Whenever Minji made a joke or talked about something funny, he made this weird “ye-het” sound.

He was freaking weird, and, really, all of Kris’s friends were extremely unusual. Some guy called Luhan, who looked a lot like Sehun, kept talking about how manly he was, then proceeded to arm wrestle everyone in the house, including Minji, and lost to everyone but her. Minji only pretended to lose just so he could build back up his confidence. She sat down next to a boy named Tao who clutched onto his Gucci bag for dear life and small talked with him. It was fine up until she mentioned her latest trip to Namsan, then he became so excited about the place that he began speaking Chinese. Another one named Baekhyun kept going around the room taking selfies in various positions while doing aegyo. Then he gave her one to keep.

Though Kris’s friends were most definitely odd, they entertained her and kept the Kai guy from noticing her. Minji had thought she had successfully avoided him while she put on her coat when she turned around to see him standing behind her.

“I’m sorry.” Minji mumbled, lowering her head.

“No, it’s fine. And didn’t I see you at the studio earlier?” Kai asked. He had a beautifully deep voice that she wanted to hear everyday for the rest of her life, but she made careful not to let her feelings or embarrassment show in her face.

“Um, yes, I think that might of have been me.”

“I believe it was. Do you work there?”

“Yes, sort of. I’m a choreographer they brought in for a new group,” Minji explained.

“Is it 28Dolls?”

She nodded.

“Really? I’m lead choreographer for them.”

Minji’s eyes widened, “You're Kim Jongin?”

“Yes, I am, but people call me Kai. It’s nice to finally meet the woman everyone’s told me so much about,” Kai said extending his hand.

Minji shook his hand, “Yes, very nice.”

“I can’t wait to work with you.” Kai smiled.

“Me too.”

 


 

“I have to quit.” Minji said, lying on Chaerin and Kris’s bed on her stomach with her face in the pillow.

“You cannot quit just because you have no game or appeal, Minji. This is your dream job,” Chaerin reasoned.

“I cannot work well with someone that gorgeous and talented. When he dances, babies are born, flowers bloom, people fall in love. Or so I’ve heard.”

“You haven’t worked with the guy yet. Go to work tomorrow and if the urge to tap that is too strong, then quit.”

“I don’t want to sleep with him,” Minji lied to Chaerin and to herself.

“Yes you do. I do too.”

“Hey!” Kris yelled from the bathroom.

“Shut up Kris,” Chaerin yelled back. “Now just go home, sleep, and have a fun time.”

Minji reluctantly rolled off the bed, and dragged herself to her car. When she went to open the door, Minji saw a piece of paper on the windshield. She looked to see that scratchy handwriting had been scribbled on it.

It’s nice meeting you Minji! I hope that we can become good friends! —Sincerely, Kai