Prologue Part One *new*

소녀 (Sonyeo)

Note: i don't know how the schooling works in Korea. like when the school year starts and stuff so I will go by the USA's.

 

          Kaylie was a surfer. That was all she knew. She loved going out into the ocean and catching waves, she was even good enough to be sponsored by Rip Curl. She had been homeschooled since she was 9 so that she could begin surfing in competitions. And through it all her mother was her biggest supporter. But, that all changed one day in the most horrific way.

        It was a beautiful Hawaiian night. The wind was blowing gently and they could hear the waves gently crashing onto the beach. They could smell the ocean breeze every time the wind gently passed through their open car windows. Kaylie moved her hand that was hanging slightly out the window, along with the wind. She took a deep breath breathing in the ocean breeze. The moon was bright and full and she could see countless stars in the sky.Kaylie had just come in 2nd place at her surf meet and her mom and she were on their way back home afterwards. A popular song came on the radio and they sang along. Her mom looked at Kaylie and said, “I’m so proud of you Kaylie.” Kaylie smiled proudly back at her, “Thanks mom.”

     Suddenly her mom saw a car swerving toward them. She quickly tried to swerve out of the way as Kaylie screamed in terror, “Mom look out!”

      But it was too late. Her mother didn’t have enough time to avoid running straight into the truck. The last thing Kaylie remembered was a bright blinding light and then intense pain before everything went dark.

 When Kaylie woke up she felt pain all over her body. She looked around the room as she came too, she seen white walls and a window where she got a view of the city, the skyscrapers and some house and she could see the ocean in the distance. When she took in a deep breathe she got the horrible scent of saline. She crinkled her nose up at the smell for it was a smell she hated the most. She took notice of a beeping sound and look to her right side, since she had been looking to her left, and noticed a heart monitor that was giving out the beeps with every heartbeat. After she took in the dull and boring room, she slowly remembered the accident and she immediately started freaking out wondering what happened to her mother. A nurse hurried to her side and, seeing her distress, tried to calm her down. “M-my mom,” Kaylie asked her, “Is my mom ok?” The nurse looked at her in sympathy and said very gently, “I’m sorry to tell you, but your mom died instantly in the accident.” Kaylie felt her heart break in that instant.

      “S-she died? That-that can’t be. You’re lying to me! My mom is not dead!” Kaylie then tried to get out of the bed to blindly go searching for her mother when the nurse called for help and more nurses and the doctor comes in to give her a sedative. The doctor looked at her sadly, “I am very sorry for your loss, but you can’t risk your own life by getting out of bed yet. Unfortunately you have a concussion, a few fractured ribs, a broken arm and your knee cap has been completely shattered. We had to do surgery to completely replace your knee cap. You have a long recovery ahead of you.”  The next few months were the hardest of Kaylie’s life. Not only had she lost her mom but also her surfing career, and on top of everything else her father seemed to blame her for blamed her for her mother’s death.

           She ended up turning to writing and drawing to help her through it. The silver lining was that she discovered a talent she never knew she had. Luckily for her the school year had been over and she had all of summer break to heal.

please do comment