05

Hidden Angels

She plunged onto the beaten couch, baring holes that displayed more than just age. She had wondered why there were craters in the furniture in the first place, then eventually pondering on why the both of them were separated in the start; why she was dwelling in this dump. 
Aika cleared , preparing for the switch in subjects."Why do you think Clovis kept us apart instead of having us together?" 
Amaya gently tossed her hair back before sinking into the recliner. "Maybe it would make us less obvious."
"What do you mean?" Aika was now sitting up, her elbows planted on her knees and her head titled to view the younger one. 
"Like they would be able to track us down easier if we didn't. To hide our scent?" She frustratedly picked at the rips in her jeans, half because of the lingering thought of her significant other and half blaming her parents for them just knowing of each other now. She had spent the majority of her life with fostered children just as herself, not knowing of a family or sibling, then discovering her past life flashing before her eyes in the matter of hours. Her head shook in despair for a loss yet her heart pounded with anticipation for what this new turn in her life had in store; she ached for a distraction to say the least. 
"Sounds legit." 
"Where is Clovis now?" Amaya inquired, she too was reflecting the figure of her sister; chin resting on arms who planted their elbows on knees. "I mean, why didn't he come with you? Isn't it dangerous to roam by yourself?" 
"Well, yeah. He trained me to enhance my full potential and this is his biggest test yet." 
"To make it through to me," the other filled in for her. 
The both of them sat in utter silence, preoccupied by pulsing thoughts that bombarded their mind. While Aika thought of how to transport themselves almost halfway across the country to reach the entrance, Amaya raked her mind for memories of her parents that were shredded before she could count to three. This was to erase ties between the two parts of the family, the parents unclenched their children for safety and the children shouldn't be pained with reminisces of them. They would become homesick within the same day of departure, then the ensured safety that they once thought they could establish was now diminished. 
The clock ticked past half an hour before they could have muttered anything. Aika was dozing off, a bit of saliva dripping from the corner of , and Amaya just wondering what it was like to witness the gates of heaven and if there really were a slight chance to finally confront her parents. Her reaction would be mixed, at least she thought so, either balling in tears due to the aching memories of encountering difficulties alone or hatred for abandoning their children instead of escaping with them. 
"You're really different, you know?" Amaya breathed, glancing in the direction of her sibling, noticing her slight snore. "When things were dark, you brought some light. Thank you for that, I'll pay you back later. I promise." She kissed the tips of her fingers and placed them over the area of skin where her heart was under.