02

Hidden Angels

Play, Listen, & Read.

 

 


 

The crisp air whipped the girl's hair around, having an dance then releasing the strand in one swift motion. She embraced her sins, she lusted, she murdered. Not exactly, but she killed herself. Mentally and emotionally, she was a wreck that had no patience for healing for there was nothing she could do besides freeing herself. She had to release her contained spirit that was shunned year after year. The girl didn't trust the flame inside her so repaying it was the only way to cut the debt at it's roots. 
She inched closer to the edge of the building, enjoying the sound of car horns floating between the breezes. It calmed her from sobbing for the millionth time. The railing was the only object in the way of her destiny, it was beckoning her to stay behind but she didn't listen. The height was tempting enough to satisfy her needs. 
The first leg crossed over the railing, then the second closely following behind. She had no time to spare a thought on her loved ones, a second chance with the broken relationship that drove her into the endless pit of insanity. 
"I'm sorry, everyone, anyone listening. I'm sorry for turning into the monster I wanted to avoid. I-" Her breath choked on the lump growing in . She swallowed multiple times to reduce it but it was a rock wedged in her pipe. This reminded her of the many times she endlessly cried, the emotions she wished she never would've experienced. 
I'm sorry that I gave the cold shoulder. I'm sorry I was unfaithful and greedy. I'm sorry that withered myself. 
Leaping off the building would mean giving up on her dream of meeting her birth parents, but at that moment, with all the unwanted emotions bombarding her, the thought never occurred. She finally bundled enough courage to confront her biggest phobia; death. 
One, two, three, the seconds neared shorter than she expected. On five, was her inclination to the after world. Who will greet her or will she float into the clouds heaven? Or will the fiery pits of hell engulf her as a punishment for what she has done? Those types of questions roamed in her head while free-falling. The air that was once gentle became rough against her skin. She ignored the sensation of her hairs being set aflame and straightened her limbs. 
White, pristine feathers surrounded her; they caught her halfway from the ground. Broad, luxurious wings sprouted from her shoulder blades, flapping toward the sky. The higher she reached, the more she began to regret almost committing suicide. This was her second chance in life for she was worth living. It opened several entrapped chambers of thoughts that she never acknowledged were dwelling in the crevasses of her mind. 
Her breath was stolen from her lungs and returned into the atmosphere. The phenomenal rescue left her speechless, grateful that someone was cautiously watching over her. AJ screamed words of appreciation until burned from the friction of her voice and the remaining air flourished. 
Her wings that she was secretly endowed with guided her back to the rooftop where she was greeted by the same girl from yesterday. The girl's eyes shone with fear of death but AJ's reflected happiness. 
"Are you alright?" IU questioned, assisting the newbie on landing from flight. 
AJ hunched over to catch her breath, her hands planted on her knees.
"W-wait, so you weren't lying? About yesterday I mean." 
"No, you just didn't want to believe me." IU mocked her twin sister, saying I told you so.