Jongin's Father

Restoring Faith

"He hasn't been up for three days, how does that make you feel?"

"It doesn't concern me-"

"Oh for goodness' sake, John he is your son! How could you do that to him?!"

Jongin's mother was crying out to his father in annoyance. She's been living in Faith for the past two years now, having been deported there for the capitol's hospital. She's been head nurse ever since. Chanyeol had contacted her immediately after Jongin collapsed, and ever since that day, Chanyeol made sure to tell her anything regarding Jongin.

The moment she heard what happened, all hell broke loose.

"It is for his well-being, so stop acting like you're his mo-"

"I am his mother, John. We are his parents."

"Need I remind you again, we are not and never will be his parents. I just don't understand why you would not just tell him the truth. He's a grown man, Ria, he needs to know. And he can handle it."

The line was cut, leaving Jongin's father sighing in annoyance. He and his wife had found Jongin when he was a baby, and because Ria couldn't bear a child, she decided to take Jongin as her own. If no one wanted the beautiful child, she figured she should have him instead. She's wanted a child ever since and it seemed like the heavens have answered her prayer when Jongin came in their way.

John, however, wasn't fond of children. The news that his wife couldn't bear a child didn't bother him much as it did his wife. He didn't want to be taking responsibility of raising a kid, a boy nonetheless, because he knew his son would have to be part of Pain's brutes which he wasn't technically fond of.

But now that he is head of battle and he is the trusted leader of the island ring army, added to the fact that Jongin is a boy, he couldn't have done anything to change Jongin's fate.

Real son or not, Jongin's bound to join battle school -- regardless of his 'father's' position.

Snapping out of his disturbing realm of thoughts, he heard the door creak open and Chanyeol's tall, lean figure appear in front of his door, bowing respectfully.

"Good day, sir."

"Chanyeol, boy, what brings you here?"

And then he smiles -- he always does whenever he sees the tall kid. He doesn't know why, but somehow, a little part of him would've been proud if he were to have Chanyeol as his son. He had always been fond of the boy, and even though he knows it's wrong, he almost obviously shows Chanyeol favoritism.

"I'm not meaning to interfere, sir, but Kai's been having a really high fever and I don't think he can make it to Saturday's showcase."

John groans internally because that stupid kid just don't learn.

"Well then I'll see what I can do, Chanyeol. You be in your way and go back to training."

Chanyeol smiles widely, "thank you sir! I knew you aren't that bad as you look-"

John raises a brow, both in surprise and in amusement about Chanyeol's honest mouth.

Chanyeol immediatly straigtens up, "I-I mean, thank you, sir. I'll be on my way." He bows again and turns to leave. But before he does, he says, "I'm not in the place to say this, sir, but I hope you could show even a little concern for your son. I have been his best friend since we were eleven and I know he looks up to you so much that I'm really sure it hurts him even more than physically whenever you pretend you don't care about him. I know you do, sir, because he's your only child. I just hope that someday you both come to realize that sometimes, the rules of battle doesn't apply to your relationship with each other."

John could only stare wide ahead as Chanyeol leaves the room. For a soldier to say that to the head of battle should've been forbidden, he knows he needs to punish Chanyeol for that. But hearing him say those words made him a little more aware that he's been acting horrible as a father and somehow, it makes him feel bad. Ria loves Jongin so much, but why does it seem like he couldn't bring himself to love Jongin as well?

He smiles a little, Chanyeol and his smart and honest mouth sometimes does help. But he doubts if it'll help his relationship with Jongin.

"..he looks up to you so much that I'm really sure it hurts him even more than physically whenever you pretend you don't care about him."

"I have been a terrible father, haven't I, Ria?" he asks more to himself as he stares at Ria's beaming picture with baby Jongin in her hands.

"I don't know how to be one."

His thoughts wander from here to there as he leaves his office and somehow go down to where Jongin's room was.


Chapter five is up.

Stay tuned, yes? ♥