Chapter 2

Watching You From Afar

I dreamt that I was on my way to the rooftop again. I opened the door and I was surrounded by fog and complete whiteness. I couldn't see anything but I kept on walking until I bumped into something... or someone rather...

"Ouch! What the hell was that?"

"You're always like this. Always pointlessly smacking your head somewhere." a mysterious voice told me. The fog started to lift and my surroundings slowly started to become clearer. I can make out a silhouette of of a man in front of me.

"You'll be late..."

"Eh? Late where?" I reached out for him but he moved away.

"Hey wait up!"

"Wake up... wake up..." His voice started to fade at the same time he moved farther away from me.

"Wait! Don't go..." I called after him.

"WAKE UP SARANG!!!"

"WHA?! What the?! Eomma?!" I shot bolt upright in bed as I tried to catch my breath... what the hell...?

"Ya! That's the third time this week! Why are you slacking off?!"

I was shocked when I saw that I only have an hour left to prepare for school. This can't be happening! I rushed to the bathroom, tripped a few time over thin air before getting there, and took a quick shower. I can't believe I didn't wake up on my alarm! Again!

Luckily, I did not have to wait long before the next bus arrived. And when I got to school, I started running to our classroom like I was on a race or like there was some wild animal chasing me. I managed to come in before the teacher.

"Ya Sarang! Barely made it!" a classmate called out.

Still panting from my mini-marathon, I replied, "Lucky me!"

"You were never like this before. What's up?"

"Sorry, haha~ who knows?" I awkwardly replied.

I could feel someone staring at me while a approached my seat. Don't look Sarang. Don't look. I was quite fidgety until I took my seat. I knew very well who it was. It was Jungkook who was boring his eyes right through me.

He came to class the next day after I met him. I've been avoiding eye contact ever since. I don't even know why i'm acting this way! I mean, oh come on, I didn't even do anything wrong, so why?! I should've just said a casual "hi/hello" or something so I wouldn't be in this state.

*din don din don*

Break time...

"Saraaaang~~ let's go eat! That lesson the life out of me!" Reika whined.

I was about to answer when I felt a presence approaching...

"Excuse me..." oh shoot. It was Jungkook. This is my chance to say "hi".

Inhale. Exhale!

"Ah! Sorry Reika! My tummy has been kinda weird this morning i'll go to the bathroom for a bit bye!" I said in one breath then ran out of the room.

Reika glanced at Jungkook with a confused expression while Jungkook let out a sigh of frustration.

"Jungkook-shi, excuse me for asking this but did you do something to Sarang?"

"What? No. I should be the one asking that to your friend, actually." Jungkook shrugged and left the room.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupidstupid.

You are such a moron, Sarang! Why'd you spout things that were not in your head? That was not the plan, remember?

I was mentally kicking myself at the rooftop when I received a text from Reika...

"There's something you are not telling me.

I can tell.

Spit it out."

Oh my goodness. I can't believe I forgot to tell her! How stupid can you get, Sarang?!

"Omoooooo! Reika!

Forgot to tell you something!

Honest mistake!

Tell you later~ ^^" "

Message sent. *sigh*

I stared at the clear blue sky, lost in my thoughts, when I heard a click from the rooftop door...

"Ah! I knew you'd be here!"

I looked towards the door's direction and froze on the spot. My mind went blank for a few seconds. When I came to my senses, I started to help myself up. I actually have no intention to leave. It's just that I don't know how to handle this situation and the best thing that I can think of is escaping from the moment.

Jungkook stoood in front of me and held up his hands to stop me.

"Before! You! Leave! Let me apologize for whatever I did to you to make you avoid me." Jungkook said in one breath.

I was taken aback. I was not sure if I needed to say something or defend myself and whatnot. But his facial expression was one that would really make one laugh and I couldn't contain my giggles. He has his eyes closed and looks like he was ready to receive a hit or something. He was even squirming for a second or two!

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Pfft. Sorry. Can't. stop. laughing. Your expression is a winner!" I tried to control my laughter. "Ah... *sniffle* but... uh... I should be the one who's apologizing for avoiding you without any given reason at all."

Jungkook eased up and he even laughed along with me.

Awkward silence. This silence was better than before though. I felt calm. Maybe it's because of the calmness of our surroundings. Or maybe it's because I felt at ease by just looking at his angelic face. My thoughts got lost in the clouds again when he finally spoke up...

"You forgot to tell me your name."

"Huh? What?"

He chuckled. "Your name. When we were at the rooftop? Remember?"

"Oh. Right. I was in a hurry that time..."

"No worries. I figured out from our classmates that your name is Han Sarang and that you're best friends with Kim Reika."

"Then... um... why... d-don't I introduce myself properly?" I said, slightly embarrassed about what I was about to do. This is so unlike me! "Eherm... nice to meet you! I'm Han Sarang. Please take care of me." I said while doing a 90 degree bow.

Surprisingly, he did the same. "Pleased to meet you Han Sarang. I'm Jun Jungkook. I'm in your care."

Talking became easier after that. We were now standing by the wire fence while we chatted.

"By the way, you really saved my life back then, thanks!"

"When? When I hit you with my bag?"

"HAHA! Yup! I would've been late for training if I slept on."

"Training must be really tough isn't it? I bet you were training the day before the first day of classes."

"Exactly. The night before that was dance lessons. It was insane! I thought I was gonna die!" he said as he recalled that night.

"But you love what you're doing, don't you?"

"Of course! I love it with my whole heart! It's my dream since I was a little boy to stand up on stage and perform in front of millions and millions of people!" as he spoke word after word, the sparkle in his eyes shone brighter and brighter.

"Ah! I forgot!" he piped. "I need to stop by the faculty room during lunch. See you at class Sarang!"

"Uhn! See you!" I said and waved, "I won't avoid you this time!"

"I'm counting on that!" he winked and waved back before going out the door.

I felt my heart skip a beat. Oh no. Not again.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"EEEEEEHHH?! That happened?! Why didn't you tell me?!" Reika said, dumbfounded.

I was lazily lying on her bed while playing with the ears of her cat stuffed toy. I decided to spend the night at her place so that I could tell her all that needs to be told. We could also work on our homework together while we're at it.

"Ugh Reika your voice is too loud. Besides, it's no big deal." I shrugged.

"What do you mean 'no big deal'?! This is a great development on your part, Sarang!" she clasped her hands together, looking hopefully at me. "Oh my gosh, Sarang! Please please please tell me you felt something!"

I stared at her. Something? As I recalled our rooftop moments... Oh my gosh. My cheeks suddenly turned so red that I had to bury my face in Reika's stuffed toy to hide the embarrassment.

Reika squealed, obviously enjoying the reaction she got from me.

"Finally, Sarang! Finally!" She jumped on the bed and shook my body back and forth. "KSDHFSJKHCSHFIAMSOHAPPYFORYOUSKDJKJDFSHJSSARAAAANG"

I barely understood a word she said. I could only make out my name.

"Reika! Calm down!" I squished her face. "I'm not even sure if I really have a crush on him, okay?" I released her face when I saw her calm down.

She rolled her eyes at me, "Oh come on, Sarang. What else could it be?"

"I dunno. You know how some people just fall for someone because it's usually the two of them of spends time together? When you don't really interact with other guys? How people fall in love for what's superficial?"

Reika thought about what I said.

"You have a point. But you know, isn't that what having a crush or falling in love or whatever you want to call it all about? It starts out with being friends. Then you get to know each other. Feelings develop somewhere in between. In your case, the feelings came out just before you got to know each other!"

I looked at her, slightly unconvinced with what she said. Seeing the look on my face, she patted me on the back and said, "Why are you bothered by it anyway? I don't see anything wrong with you liking Jungkook."

"I'm not bothered... It's just... I think he's just too good for me. He's already on his way to stardom. I'm just an average student." I told her.

But I knew that this was not the only reason. There's this lingering feeling inside me that's disturbing me. I just can't figure out what it is.

Reika shrugged. "So what? He's not there yet. Anything can happen and he might change his mind about it."

"I guess so. But when I talked to him, he seems so sure of himself that he'll be able to reach for his dreams. It's like he's already living it." I said as I remembered the glow in his eyes. There was something so captivating about it.

She stood up from the bed and did some kind of happy dance in front of me. "Cheer! Up! Sarang!" She did a twirl and ended it with a cupid pose. "I'll be your cupid!"

"Pfft." I laughed and threw a pillow at her. "Stop it, Reika. Don't get me too worked up about this. Let's go to bed."

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

 

Umm... Yay? I don't have confidence in this chapter but i'll definitely do better next time!

Summer goal: Finish this fanfic! <(ゝω•)~☆

-- Merrie