Chapter 5

Watching You From Afar

It's been weeks since my last encounter with Jungkook outside of school. We exchanged a few messages every once in a while since he got my number. Our messages were mostly about school and his trainee days. Though our relationship didn't progress yet to anything more than classmates and friends, i'm fine with that.

"Han Sarang! Are you really fine with this?!" Reika hissed at me while I was busy rewriting my Biology notes.

"Huh?" I looked up from what I was doing. We were at the library today, since I didn't feel like eating lunch.

"This!" She held up my phone and showed the conversations between Jungkook and me.

I snatched my phone away from her.

"Ya! You can't just invade other people's inboxes." I told her, trying to keep my voice low.

"Aish. Sarang, why are you like this?" She gave me a look of disbelief. "You said you like him but your relationship remains stagnant." Reika said, seemingly displeased.

"What do you want me to do then?" I sighed. "Tell him I like him?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"Exactly!" She moved closer to me with a look of eagerness on her face.

"No way! I wouldn't dare do that." I told her and returned to rewriting my notes.

"Well, why not? There are a lot of girls confessing to him. You might as well do that too." She crossed her arms and slumped to her chair.

Before I got to answer her, I noticed the librarian approaching us with a stern look on her face. It looks like she was about to reprimand us.

"Excuse me ladies." She began in a hoarse voice. "This is a library, not a park where you could freely talk in loud voices. I'm afraid i'm going to have to ask you to leave now."

The two of us looked at each other and decided to pack up and leave. Lunch break was about to end anyway.

I thought Reika had forgotten about the matter between Jungkook and me when she spoke up again.

"Sarang, i'm telling you, if you don't make a move now, some other girl will grab the opportunity and sweep him off his feet. Jungkook's become more and more popular now especially among the first years when they found out that he's a trainee. Even the seniors are eyeing him! You should grab the chance since you're close to him." She scolded me.

Frustrated, I sighed. "I really appreciate your concern but confessing is out of my comfort zone. I don't have the confidence... and the looks, the brains, and everything else. Besides, Jungkook's too focused on his training. I bet he doesn't even have time for girls."

"Speaking of..." She motioned her head towards our classroom door.

Jungkook was standing there while a girl handed him a letter.

"O-oppa~" she spoke up. "I'm sorry for bothering you during the break. All I could say is that I really like you the moment I saw you during the first week of school. I-I hope you'll take time to read my letter." She bowed and left.

Jungkook saw us about to enter our classroom and waved at us.

"Uwaaaa! Our Jungkookie made one of the girls fall for him again!" One of our male classmates said while playfully ruffling Jungkook's hair.

The next few weeks after I ran into Jungkook at Myeongdong, the amount of girls at school who were falling for him grew. I was included of course. Unlike the rest of them though, I couldn't find the courage to be honest with him. Some of the girls waited around for him to give him sweets and what-nots. Others, like the girl earlier, are brave enough to even go to our class and directly speak with him.

Reika has a point. With all the girls around him, he's bound to fall for one of them. Oh well, this is what I get for having no confidence and zero-level of self-esteem.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*JUNGKOOK'S POV*

I hurriedly came out of the restroom as soon as I finished changing into my training clothes. I almost bumped into Reika as I turned to a corner of the hallway.

"Whoa! Reika! Where's Sarang?" I asked.

"She just left the room. I have club activities today so she went ahead." She explained.

"Okay! I need to rush! Bye Reika!"

Reika looked like she was about to say something to me. No time for that though.

Fortunately, I was able to catch up to Sarang. She was by the lockers near the entrance. Her dark brown hair was down, falling below her shoulders. It looks like she has just got some books from her locker and was about to take her leave.

"Sarang!" I called out to her. She didn't respond. I felt disappointed. I was about to call her again then I saw her tuck her hair behind her ear.

Ah. Earphones.

I pursed my lips to hide the silly smile that was forming on my face. I need to compose myself and act cool. I sneaked up to her and unplugged one of her earphones from her ear.

"Haaaan~ Sa-Raaaang~~"

I thought she'd be surprised when I took her earphone off, instead I was the one who was taken aback. She looked up to me. Our eyes met. I realized that she was a lot shorter than I am, maybe around 156 cm. I swear I could melt into her almond-shaped eyes. Just like that moment when she looked at me at the music store.

"J-Jungkook. On the way to training?"

"U-uhn." I nodded, earphone still in my hand. Keep your cool, Jungkook.

"Can I listen?" I asked her. She gave me an "ok" sign. After School's Shampoo was playing.

"Ooh? After School!! You like them?"

"Neh~ I listen to a lot of groups. But i'm not that much of a hardcore fan. I guess." She timidly said.

I asked if I could take a look at her playlist. She handed me her phone while the earphones were still plugged to our ears. After School, KARA, SNSD, A Pink, BoA, DBSK, Infinite, and Super Junior were some of the idols that's included in her playlist.

"Whoa~ I didn't think that Sarang would be that type of person who fangirls over idols." I accidentally said out loud.

I nervously looked at her from the corner of my and expected that she'll be offended by what I said. Thankfully, she wasn't. She cleared to talk.

"Actually, I sometimes sing and dance to those at home. You're the only one besides Reika who I've told this about." She bit the side of her lip while she said this. She was obviously embarrassed by what she told me.

Too cute.

It's only this day that I got to talk to her alone again. I'm too busy to even invite her to eat lunch with me during break since that's my time to practice the pieces for training. Plus, I could hardly walk around campus without getting approached by a girl or a group of girls one after another.

"Saaaraaaang~~" I chimed.

"Hmm?" She turned her head to face me so I poked her cheek.

"Sing for me." I straightforwardly told her. Her cheeks went from it's natural color to a light shade of red.

"No! I refuse." She pouted as she clutched the strap of her bag and looked away from me.

I lightly bumped my shoulder to hers to tease and persuade her even more.

"Saraang~~ just one song. Please?" I begged her, trying to give my best aegyo by puffing my cheeks and pouting.

"Fine." She finally gave in.

She started humming to the chorus of Seoul Song that's currently playing on her phone.

"Ya~ no fair! That doesn't count." I laughed as I pinched her soft, marshmallow-like cheek.

We were bickering non-stop until we came to the bus stop and had to part ways.

I was recalling the time I spent with her while I sat comfortably on the back of the bus. She was just too cute a while ago. Well, I always find her cute but today was different. The usual Sarang I know is always on guard of herself. Constantly building barriers at the most unnecessary moments. The moment she looked at me, I felt that she let her guard down. That she was vulnerable. All the more so when she opened up to me.

I rummaged through my backpack for my phone. One last conversation before practice. I just need some fuel to keep me going later. But I have no idea what to text her.

I sat there staring at the message box of my phone, thinking of a topic to start the conversation. I was finally able to think of one and started inputting the characters.

"Saraaang~~

Who's your bias group?

You must have one since you're a fangirl. (^u^)/"

Safe topic. Good enough to hold a conversation.

"Bias... um...

Probably Super Junior keke~"

"Oh~ ELF!"

"Neh~ I kinda think of them as my "navigational star" or something like that. (o//u//o)"

I felt my eyes twitch when I read her last message. I had this feeling that a portion of my heart was being ripped into shreds by a dinosaur. I threw my phone inside my bag then hugged it tightly while looking outside the window. I started to doze off to sleep while trying to convince myself that I AM NOT JEALOUS.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The room was air-conditioned yet our bodies still felt hot and secreted sweat that could probably fill a dozen of buckets. We look like we had just gotten out of the shower because of the sweat that that was dripping from the strands of our hair. Some of had their backs on the mirror while some opted to lie on the floor. Heavy breathing could be heard as the dance teacher turned off the music that was booming through the room's speakers. Dance practice has ended.

I sat on one corner of the room with my head hung low. Someone dropped a towel on my head and ruffled my hair in the process.

"Aren't you extra aggresive today on the dance floor?" He chuckled. I looked up to see J-Hope hyung drinking from a water bottle.

He sat down beside me. "What's up? I've never seen you this focused before."

"No particular reason." I plainly said and began to fix my things.

"Li-aaaar!" I heard Taehyung hyung said then he suddenly flung himself to rest his head on my lap. "You're dancing like you're mad at someone. I could see your eyes go twitch twitch at certain points of the song." He said while demonstrating how my eyes moved earlier.

"Shut up hyung." I said as I pushed him away from my legs.

Taehyung hyung continued pestering me. "Family problems? School? Do you have indigestion? Is it about a GIRL?" He emphasized his last question which made my eyes twitch again.

"Uwaa!! Hoseok hyung!! Hyu-uuung!" He moved to J-hope hyung's side. "It's about a girl! Our Jungkookie has someone he likes~" He said while shaking hyung's arm.

"Ya Jungkookie~ is that true?" He asked, eyes wide in disbelief.

"I just to debut quickly and surpass everybody out there." I mumbled.

J-hope hyung messed up my hair again.

"Aish. We'll get there okay? Right now we have to surpass ourselves first in order to prove them that we are worthy of a debut and in order to step unto a bigger stage." He said as he gave me an encouraging smile.

I reflected on what he said.

"Hyung. Can you help me for a bit here?" I said as I stood up.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*SARANG'S POV*

I woke up to my phone vibrating in the middle of the night. The bright light coming from it was blinding me so I didn't bother to take a good look on who the message is from. I clumsily opened the message and to my surprise, heard Jungkook's voice. I thought I was hallucinating so I sat up in bed and rubbed my eyes a few times.

It was a video message.

"Sarang~ annyeoong~~"

He began, while waving to the camera. He looked so tired, his skin still slightly glistening with the sweat from practice.

"You're probably asleep right now but i'm still sending this to you anyway."

Sistar19's Ma Boy played in the background. To my surprise, Jungkook was suddenly dancing to it. I don't know where i'll be more amused, Jungkook sending me a video in the middle of the night or at the fact that his face says that he's totally into the dance. Either way, I controlled my laughter as I was the only one awake in the house.

The video ended after the chorus. I thought that was the end of it, I noticed one other video that he sent.

This time, Jungkook was seated on the floor.

"Sarang, I know that this will sound a bit weird. One day, i'll be able to surpass everyone. I'll be the best version of me that you'll ever see. Then i'll take that spot as your navigational star. I'll shine my light on you through good and bad times."

With those words from him, I felt my heart beat wildly. I lay down on bed again, with my eyes staring into the ceiling as if I was looking at the sky searching for something. Why did he say those things? What's the meaning of that?

 

 

 

☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

/waves cheerfully/

Hullooo!

I finished this one 4 days after I released the last chapter but I only finished typing it now.

I've been catching up on groups by watching videos online kkk~

My apologies hnng /90 degree bow/

By the way, I edited a few details in chapter 1 and chapter 4 hehe. Hope you don't mind.

And... i've been thinking if I should change the title??

I found a ff with the same title as mine (it was published first).

So... yeah...

I hope you like what I wrote!

Your thoughts on this are greatly appreciated! \(o ̄∇ ̄o)/

-- Merri(=^・ェ・^=)