Chapter 1

Watching You From Afar

It was the start of a new school year and everybody looked beautiful in their uniforms. Dainty cherry blossoms were floating along the spring breeze and carefully made it's way to the road, decorating it with a carpet of pink. Laughter can be heard from groups of friends who seem to have missed each other during the vacation. Several unfamiliar faces made their way pass the school gate, each one of them with a different expression painted on their faces: nervousness, excitement, anticipation... I can empathize with them. I've went through the same roller coaster ride of emotions during my first few days of 7th grade. I'm now on my 8th level and the fact that I survived my first year in middle school still amazes me. Why? Well... i'm not that great with people or with life. I'm awkward and a bit shy, I overthink a lot and my self-esteem isn't that great. But hey, i'm not that lame of a person. Let's just say I sometimes don't know how to deal with myself and with others. With this personality of mine, I thought i'd go through 7th grade alone...

"SARAAAANG!!!" I heard a familiar voice from behind me and the next thing I know I was sitting on the ground.

"Ugh... Reika..." I groaned. "Why must you always pounce on me like that... one day you might pounce on me too hard and my head will hit the floor until blood gushes out and I bleed to death." I said as I pushed Reika away from me and helped myself up.

"It's because we never hung out during the vacation! You always declined..."

She said that through her pouting-semi-mad-semi-sad-face. Ugh this friend of mine... really... "Okay fine! Sorry! I was just too lazy to go outside. But don't be sad, I promise to make it up to you." With that, her face lighted up as if it were sparkling.

"Yay Sarang! You promised! You promised! Now let's see which class we're in!" She said as she enthusiastically dragged me to the bulletin board where the new classes are posted.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Uwaah~~ Sarang, i'm so glad that we are in the same class again. I thought we'd get separated!"

"I'm glad too." I gently smiled at her as I choose a seat beside the window while she settled in the seat next to me.

Right at that moment, our homeroom teacher entered our classroom. "All right, all right... settle down kids. Let me just say something before I start checking the attendance. First, I want to congratulate you for..."

The teacher's voice was easily drowned by my thoughts. I didn't pay attention to what he was saying. Instead, I looked out the window to admire the birds that are happily flying around the trees and hopping from one branch to another as if they were playing tag. It's a pretty sight for me. Or maybe it's just because I have simple joys in life. It made me a bit jealous of them. It would be nice if I were as carefree as those birds and...

"-KOOK! Jeon Jungkook? Is Jeon Jungkook here?"

My thoughts were interrupted by the loud voice of the teacher. Apparently, there was one guy who was missing from the class. There was sudden chattering in the room.

"Eh? That Jungkook kid? Isn't he the one who got into Big Hit Entertainment?"

"Who is this Jungkook guy?"

"I heard he's hella talented! He raps, dances, sings..."

"Whoa?! No way?!"

"I didn't know there was such a guy in our year..."

"He must be training right now that's why he isn't here."

Everybody was talking and I still don't have a clue who this Jeon Jungkook guy is. I turned to Reika, hoping that she could enlighten me on the matter.

"Reika???" I looked at her with a puzzled expression on my face.

"Gonna ask about the Jungkook kid?" I nodded and just when she was about to say something...

"Alright, everybody quiet!" The teacher yelled, cutting her off and silencing everyone. "I'll find out why he's not here later. Let's continue on with the class."

"I'll tell you at lunch time." Reika grinned as she whispered to me. I nodded and decided not to think of this mystery guy and focus on the lesson instead.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So you wanted to know about this Jeon Jungkook?" Reika said while we were eating our lunch.

"Huh? Oh... yeah. Sorry, I forgot."

"Geez, Sarang. You're becoming forgetful. Anyway, I only know a few things about him. First of all, we are the same age as him and he's in our year and class." Reika grinned.

I rolled my eyes. "Well, oooobviously. What else?"

"Hmm... He was in class 1C last year, the class just beside our classroom. I heard he auditioned for lots of agencies during his last year of primary school. Then he got accepted into Big Hit Entertainment. They notified him that he should start training as soon as possible. He can rap, he can sing, he can dance, and he does this all very well!"

I gaped at her. "How do you know these things? You're a fan aren't you?"

"What? No. Nu-uh. I just happen to have this friend who is schoolmates with him from grade school up to now." She beamed at me.

"Hooo? You sure about that?" I gave her a suspicious look.

"Of course, haha! I was a bit intrigued though, so I looked up some videos of him. Take a look!" She shoved her phone towards me. It was a video of a guy executing some awesome dance moves.

"Hmm... not bad." I must admit, this guy certainly got the moves and the aura of someone who's bound to become famous. How come I never noticed him last year?

"Want to watch some more?"

"No. I think i've seen enough for today." I said as I gave her phone back and started clearing my lunch from my desk.

"Hmph. I thought you'd be more interested." Reika pouted. "Since he looks like he could be your type."

I pinched her cheeks. "And since when did I have a type among men? Never had a certain preference, remember?"

"Ouch shtop it Sharang." I let go her cheeks. "Hahahaha~ I know, I know. I was just teasing. Hey, by the way. When will make it up to me, Sarang? I'm an impatient person you know?"

Ah, right... I forgot about the promise I made this morning. "Later? After school?"

"I caaaaaan't. Hnng~~ I have club activities after class."

"Seriously? First day of class and you have club activities already? Hmm... will it take long?"

She shook her head. "Nope. Not really."

"Then i'll wait for you to finish. I'm not in the mood to go home right after class."

"Waah! You sure? You're not my boyfriend or anything to wait for me!" She bursted into laughter after she said this.

"It's this afternoon or never. Take it or leave it." I said in an intimidating voice, enough to persuade her to agree with me.

"Fine. Meet you at the school gates by 6 then."

"Alright! We could also do our homework while we eat out." I beamed at her.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The day passed by smoothly and turned out to be uneventful.

The school bell rang and students started to pour out at the hallway. Each person went on their own way. Some, like Reika, had club activities to attend to. Some students decided to hang out a bit at karaoke or somewhere else after class, while some immediately went home to take a rest. As for me, I headed to the rooftop. It is one of my most favorite place at school, aside from the library and the greenhouse. It's the place where I can relax and clear my mind. The tranquil ambience  soothes my soul and lets me enjoy my alone time to the fullest.

I climbed the last flight of stairs in no hurry and opened the door to the rooftop. I squinted my eyes as the orange glare of the setting sun welcomed me. I threw my bag to one side and went straight to the wire fence that was surrounding the rooftop to look at the horizon. I did not notice that my bag had hit a person who happened to be sleeping peacefully in the direction where I threw my bag. I felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. I turned around and came face to face with a guy. I recognized him. He was the boy on the video Reika showed me. Jun Jungkook.

"Excuse me, but your bag hit me really hard just now." He said with his still sleepy eyes and ruffled hair.

His face was only a few centimeters away from me and it took me a few seconds to realize and process the whole situation in my brain. When I finally came to my senses, I staggered backwards only to hit the fence behind me. Shoot. What to do? What to do? What to do?

"Ah sorry... I didn't mean to come too close. I guess I scared you." He said as he shot me an apologetic look and politely bowed down.

"Huh? No! I should be the one who's apologizing! I'm truly sorry!" I bowed down too but... I miscalculated our distance and I hit my head hard on his head. Ouch. We both fell to the ground while clutching our heads tightly.

"Hnnng... i'm so so so so so sorry! I'm such a klutz." I groaned as I peeked at his direction. You are such a failure at life, Sarang.

"Ugh... no worries. I have a pretty thick skull so it didn't hurt that much. Besides, I needed to wake up anyway. That hit made my brain alert..." He gave me a tender smile.

Weird. Why do I feel as if i'm being drawn into his smile? "Um... okay... still, i'm truly sorry for disturbing you. I didn't know that you were here."

"Hehe~ stop apologizing. I already told you that it's okay." He flashed me a grin from ear to ear.

I felt my heart skipped a beat. I felt a sudden rise of temperature on my cheeks. Oh no. I knew I was turning red as a tomato on the spot. Awkward silence. Not good. Not good. Not good. Not good. Thankfully, my phone rang. It was Reika. Thank goodness. Perfect timing.

"Hello? Oh? Finished early? Alright, i'll be right there." I picked up my bag before I bowed to Jungkook again. "I'm sorry, I need to go now. See you around!" I said as I hurriedly made my way to the door. I felt that he was following me with his eyes burt I dodn't bother to turn around.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jungkook looked down from the rooftop and saw Sarang run to her friend. He then shifted his gaze into the horizon... "She didn't even tell me her name..."

He picked up his bag and fixed his wrinkled clothes and messy hair. He needed to be at the practice rooms by 6:30 in the evening or else it would be a hundred push-ups for him.

Remembering what had happened a few minutes ago, he smiled and whispered...

"Thank you."