Saying Goodbye and Hello

There is a Reason for Everything: Find it

                “I’ll have another.” Yongguk waved his now empty glass, the fifth that night, in front of the bartender.

                The bartender, used to seeing many different types at these types of events, kept his comments to himself as he took Yongguk’s glass and began to fill it. Yongguk sighed again as he looked down at his suit, newly purchased for this event but he wished he hadn’t needed to buy it.

               ‘No… that’s not true. I would have happily bought it for this just… this isn’t the position I thought I would be filling…’ Yongguk thought to himself.

                As soon as the whiskey was put in front of him he downed it and put it in front of the bartender. “One more. It’s an open bar isn’t it?”

                “Yeah.” The bartender shrugged.

                “Haven’t you had too many?”

                Yongguk looked to his right where a tall, dark blue haired younger male was leaning on the small counter next to him. There was something about him that tugged at Yongguk to try harder in examining him, but the occasion was putting him off. Honestly, Yongguk didn’t want to think much anymore, hence all the alcohol.

                “What are you, my mother?” Yongguk scowled. He saw the new man’s face drop, sadness and a hint of anger crossed his face and Yongguk felt horrible. Horrible, that he was taking his own feelings out on someone else, wanting them to feel as he did. Yongguk sighed. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said it so harshly.”

                The blueberry haired male forced a small smile. “I understand. Not everyone can be happy at weddings.”

                Yongguk nodded his head and sipped closely at his new drink as he took a closer look at the tall male. “Yeah… weddings aren’t for everyone.”

                “Or just certain weddings.” He sighed.

                Yongguk frowned as recognition hit him. “Aren’t you Jongup’s best friend?”

                He nodded. “And you’re Himchan’s, right? I watched you give the best man’s speech earlier.”

                “Yeah.” Yongguk grumbled as he remembered how difficult that moment was as he tried not to get too emotional, tried not to break down and beg Himchan for a different future that had been set in front of him. The rest of his drink was gone in another gulp.

                “My name is Junhong, but everyone calls me Zelo.”

                “Yongguk.” The pair shook hands.

                “So Yongguk, can I ask why you are sad at your best friend’s wedding?”

                “Maybe you should start.”

                Zelo’s whole body went rigid. He flicked his eyes from Yongguk to the dance floor where Himchan and Jongup were still dancing to love songs. “How did you know?”

                Yongguk sighed as he moved the ice cubes around his cup, watching them clink against the glass. “Your happy mask keeps falling, especially when you look towards Jongup. I thought my remark is what made you sad but you were already sad when you got here. Were you originally coming for a drink? Don’t let me stop you, they are free after all.”

                “Pretty observant for someone who has been drinking all day.”

                “It’s easy to see when you are feeling the same.” Yongguk said matter of factly.

                Zelo shook his head. “Sad, maybe but I doubt it’s possible you are feeling as badly as I am right now.”

                Yongguk scowled again. “Really?”

                “Yeah.” Zelo challenged. “I don’t even know why I’m here.”

                Yongguk scoffed. “You want to talk rough?” Yongguk finally turned towards the dance floor and with the hand holding the ice filled glass, pointed towards the glowing Himchan. “I just gave a best man’s speech at the love of my life’s wedding.”

                Zelo’s eyes widened. “You too?”

                “What?”

                “Jongup… I love Jongup.”

                “Congratulations.” The bartender said dryly. “Now would you mind moving away from the front of the bar? You both are making it hard for other people to get drinks.”

                Yongguk glared at the bartender, not in the mood to play nice, but Zelo grabbed his arm and pulled him over to a nearby table. “Do you want to talk about it?”

                “Do you?” Yongguk asked incredulously.

                Zelo shrugged. “I heard it might help, but I didn’t think there would be anyone else who would understand.”

                Yongguk took one look at the younger boy who looked full of hope that things might get better. He ran a hand through his slightly curly black hair as he prepared himself to lay his heart out to this stranger, because maybe it would help and here was finally someone who might actually understand.

                “Until three months ago, Himchan and I were dating. We’ve been friends since childhood and have- had been dating since college. I was planning on proposing to him soon when he came home one day I told me he had fallen in love with someone from work. Said that he realized he only liked me as a friend and would love me forever but he just knew that he and this guy were meant to be together.” Yongguk unloaded. “We had been dating 4 years yet after only a month with Jongup they decided to get married… who even does that?!”

                Zelo nodded in understanding. “It was really fast.”

                “Too fast!”

                “And I’m tired of all these happy feelings in the air.” Zelo glared at a passing couple who were praising the wedding.

                “I hate how people say they look good together. Sure okay… Himchan looks happy, but he looks even better next to me!”

                “Jongup and I fit together perfectly.” Zelo whined.

                Yongguk exhaled and ran his hand through his hair again, trying to calm down. “Well, what’s your story?”

                Zelo rubbed his eyes. “I guess… I guess Jongup never knew we were dating.”

                “Wait, he didn’t know?” Yongguk asked confused. “How is that possible?”

                Zelo laughed, but the pain was still evident. “Jongup is just like that. I should have said it straight out instead of being too shy to say the words aloud. I thought we had been dating for five months...like I thought it was evident when I initially asked him out. We did everything couples did, but he took it as close friendship since we have been friends since high school, I suppose eight years now, huh?”

                Zelo sighed. “Then one day he came over to my apartment, which we pretty much shared, and he told me he was getting married to the guy he had been dating.”

                “Oh no…” Yongguk looked horrified.

                “I thought it was such a cute way to propose! And then he told me about Himchan and asked what I was talking about.” Zelo groaned and buried his head in his hands. “That was an awkward conversation.”

                “Holy … that’s rough.” Yongguk said shocked.

                Zelo nodded. “I thought I was getting married only to realize I never actually had a boyfriend.”

                “I’m so sorry.”

                “Your situation isn’t any easier, did you buy a ring?”

                “Fortunately no, but I had one picked out.” Yongguk stared down at his glass. “I just don’t know where things went wrong, you know?”

                “Or why he didn’t see me?” Zelo said sadly. “Why wasn’t I good enough?”

                “Exactly.” Yongguk breathed out, happy that someone finally got it, someone shared his pain.

                Himchan started happily talking on the microphone about the wedding and Yongguk wished he had another drink. When Himchan said that he and Jongup were going to be leaving to catch their plane for their honeymoon to Japan, Yongguk almost cheered out in joy, glad he could finally get away. Yongguk stood up so fast he knocked his chair over.

                Zelo snickered. “Yeah, I’m with you there. I don’t want to be here another second.”

                Yongguk smiled at Zelo’s words and adorable laugh. He stopped himself from leaving when he realized he was in fact smiling. A smile. He hadn’t smiled in weeks, months. The last time he smiled was when he welcomed Himchan home, right before he was dumped.

                “Hey, Zelo. Thanks for the talk. I think I do feel better.”

                “Yeah, me too.”

                Yongguk pulled a business card out of his pant pocket. “Please call me sometime, in case you ever need someone to talk to.”

                Zelo looked at the card full of interest. “A music producer?”

                “Do I not seem like the type?” Yongguk asked curiously.

                “No, it’s just not a common profession.” Zelo tried to smile at Yongguk. “Thanks, I’ll text you later so you have my number as well. Call or message me whenever. This… this was nice even if it was just us complaining.”

                The two waved goodbye and went their separate ways, not knowing if they would ever need to call the other, hoping they wouldn’t have to, hoping they could just move on with their lives.


A/N: What do you think so far? I know it's short... but it seemed better in three separate sections.

Hope you enjoy the story~