The Mysterious Man

Garden of Words

CHAPTER 006

I woke with  a start, and turned towards my alarm clock.  

12:31AM.

It was way too late. Or early. 

I couldn't sleep. Each time I tried to close my eyes, my mind was never at ease. I sighed, looking out towards the window, towards the gleaming moon hung on the navy blanket sky. Stars couldn't be seen in Deinter anymore--the pollution caused the air to swell with harmful substances. I let the cool breeze blow at my hair, making strands gently sway.

Would it be crazy to go for a late night walk? I thought to myself. 

I put on my shoes, carefully locking the door behind me. The night was still. A peaceful night. The sidewalk seemed to be a glowing walkway, the road refecting the moon's shine. Everything was quiet--no pets up at night, no neighbors snoring could be heard. 

My feet seemed to take me back to school. Back into the courtyard that was once full of cherry blossoms. 

Chen was no where to be seen, so I stopped to rest on a fallen tree trunk. I closed my eyes, focusing my attention on the crispness of the night. 

SLAP!

I swung my head around, quickly hiding behind the tree trunk. What on earth was happening?

"As a part of the Exoqient Government, I cannot allow you to remain in this place." 
A voice rang out, at first, firm, steady, and powerful. But quickly the tone softened, and it's hard cover was torn. "I thought I told you. You shouldn't be here. You know it isn't allowed." 

"I know." Was that Chen's voice coming from behind from his tree?

"Then, why? You're risking your life. Do you know that the government will kill you if they find out what you're doing? Is that what you want, do you want to die?" 

There was no reply. Only the sound of the leaves rustling from Chen's tree could be heard. Then, suddenly, there was a quiet voice: 

"...No. I can't. I used to, but now, things have changed. I have a new hope, a new reason for staying in this universe just even a little longer." Chen's voice first shook, but then grew stronger. "I'm willing to risk my life to be here, because the reason why I want to live is here."

I stood up, moving slowly to right of the courtyard to steal a glimpse of the conversation happening behind the cherry tree.

"I see. There's no helping it then, I suppose. You're my best friend. I'll trust you to be careful. Here, you requested these, didn't you?" The mysterious man took out some gleaming objects out and stuffed it in Chen's pocket. "Well, I guess I'll see you."

"Thank you. Thanks so much, Xiumin." 

And with that, I walked back towards my home, my head spinning with new information about the government in the Imaginary World. 

Death, killing, punishments. 

What was it like to live there?