An Iris for You

Garden of Words

CHAPTER 005

The morning light was too bright. I slowly strolled to school, knowing I was late. I had dirt smeared on my face and hands, and as I entered the classroom,  felt everyone's eyes on me.

"Nice of you to join us, Ms. HyoJin," My teacher sarcastically drawled. "Of course, you're late. Again."

Kai looked at me curiously eyeing the soil; I could feel his stare from the right side of me. I motioned over to him: let's talk later.

DIIIIING! The bell suddenly rang and the class rushed out. Kai walked over. "Here's the list of stuff you missed."  He piled a huge stack of books on my table. Lovely, what a way to greet me. 


"Why are you covered in dirt? Something about those blossoms?" He looked at me and saw my confused look, and took that expression to be sadness. "Even though it's sad think of it this way: we get a new ART facility!" Kai smiled imperiously and looked out the window towards the courtyard.

I squeezed his hand. "Kai, you're my best friend. I-I have something to do. Cover for me for next period, alright? I need to make sure of something there. I promise, I'll come back after I'm done." I know I was begging.

"Ditching again? ...Ugh Hyo. Promise me then. You'll come back soon. I know you're heading towards the cherry blossoms, but construction will start soon and it's going to be dangerous there. Next time, let me come with you."

I blew a breath, making the bangs in front of my face flutter. "Fine."

I quickly grabbed my school bag and hurried out from the classroom, down the steps. I pushed open the exit door, and there I was again, into the cherry blossom courtyard. It seemed magical here. After the rain from yesterday, the area here seemed new and refreshed.

"Hey! Mr. Cherry Blossom!" I called. "Wake up, it's seven thirty already."

Chen stirred, and opened on sleepy eye at me. "Who ARE you?"

I stared at him. Then, I grabbed my pack and dropped it on Chen, who spluttered and sat up. "A random girl who has to ask you something important."

"I was kidding, HyoJin. And don't call me Mr. Cherry Blossom, it makes it seem like...I'm a weak pansy or something." He pouted, his lips curved in a ever so slight frown.

"Oh." I looked at him. Suddenly, Chen's hand reached out and pulls my hair lightly.

"Glad to see ya. What's up?" He yawned.

"Chen...do you know that this place might be cut down? I mean, buildings are going to be placed here. What will happen if your tree cuts down?"

Chen didn't reply, and just smiled. A sad smile. But after awhile, he responded, "That's never going to happen. Why is my tree the last one standing?" He looked to me with a devilish look in his eye.

"I don't know." I looked around and faced Chen. "But hey! You know...yesterday, I know you didn't feel the best. So I brought you something." From my bag, I pulled out two uprooted blue irises.

Chen stared at me like I sprouted two heads. "Why the heck is that in your bag? I mean--"

"Shut it and help me plant it," I started to laugh. "Here." I handed him a garden shovel and hoe. "You know what irises mean?"

He smiled at the flowers, holding the petals near his face. His lips brushed against the soft petals and curved into an upwards grin.

"Friendship."

Paper-Flower-Wedding-Bouquets-5.jpg