Inspiration (GTOP)

Scripturient

Request for seungseunghyun: GTOP, meet in NYC, Seunghyun is a painter, Jiyong is a musician


The first time he saw him, it was raining. A dark cloud had settled over the skyline and it had been relentless in its assault of the bright city with rain for nearly five days. Seunghyun vaguely wondered why he had bothered to move to New York City when the weather had ended up being nearly the same there as it was in Seoul. He had to constantly remind himself that the art business thrived better here than there and he had many more museums to go to for inspiration. He often found himself inside his friend Daesung’s gallery, staring at whatever art was currently on display. But that day he was looking at a visitor rather than the art.

The man was fresh from the rain, his jean jacket still dripping a bit. When he’d entered, he’d shoved his black beanie into his coat pocket, revealing short brown hair with waved, center parted bangs. A baggy white shirt hung low on his collarbones beneath the jacket, making him look rather small. The gallery was not even close to full that day, so the young man’s boots made noise as he walked across the wooden floor. He wandered slowly, looking at each painting with a tilt of his head.

Seunghyun was intrigued. The other was such a beauty. He was of average height yet looked so small since he was thin. It was obvious he was stylish and from the looks of the accessories which hung around his neck and from his ears, he wasn’t that bad off. But that wasn’t all for Seunghyun. The other had a hard face, seeming nearly unhappy but he could see it in the other’s eyes; there was a sense of fascination and wonder hidden in the chocolate brown. It made the artist wonder if that is what he looked like when was looking at a new piece of art.

Without thinking about it, his sketchbook was open and he was sketching him hurriedly from his comfortable position on the black loveseat. It was nestled into the corner of the gallery, nearly unnoticeable to other patrons. His pencil moved quickly as he glanced between his subject and paper. Before he knew it, there was a perfect sketch of the man’s face, eyes twinkling but lips in a firm line.

“That’s really good.”

Seunghyun jumped, afraid the other had stumbled upon him before glancing up to see the gallery owner. He let out a relieved sigh.

“Can you please not scare me like that?”

“Sorry,” Daesung smiled innocently, his eyes upturned in little crescents. “I enjoy looking at your art. When will you let me display some?”

“I’m not that good, Daesung. My painting is almost as bad as my drawing.”

“You’re very talented, hyung. I wish you could appreciate your skill.” He glanced down at the artist’s drawing and then to the young man staring at a photograph. “It looks just like him. You drew that pretty well.”

“Do you know who he is?”

“No,” Daesung said with a shake of his head. “He’s come in once or twice in the last few weeks I think but I’ve never spoken to him.”

“He’s…breathtaking,” Seunghyun said absent mindedly as the young man turned to look at another photograph.

Daesung chuckled and nudged his shoulder. “Why don’t you try talking to him? You’ve got nothing to lose.”

“My shy and awkward self will just stay on this couch, thank you very much.”

The younger rolled his eyes as he fixed his cuff. “It’s a love seat,” he corrected.

He then walked away, going to check on something. Seunghyun looked up to see that the young man was now just feet away from him, examining a nearly wall size photograph of some extremely zoomed in object. His breath caught in his throat and he quickly slammed his sketchbook shut. As he finished looking at the photo, he turned around and caught sight of Seunghyun on the love seat. A small smile graced his lips with the small bow of his head before he headed for the exit of the gallery. Seunghyun stared after him in wonder as he disappeared out the door.

That night Seunghyun went home and painted until four in the morning, skin covered in bright colors that made him smile. It was the first time he had painted in months and he’d finally produced something he liked.

----

The next time he saw him, Seunghyun wished he didn’t have such back luck. He’d woken up, tired and not really interested in getting out of bed. But after turning over in bed three or four times and being unable to fall back asleep, he decided it was no use. He rolled out of bed and pulled on the first pieces of clothing he could reach; a soft navy blue sweater and some striped slacks. Too lazy to bother putting contacts in, he pulled on his square framed glasses and combed his hair with his fingers before heading out the door. He nestled himself onto the loveseat at the gallery as usual with a pencil and his sketchbook with a yawn.

It had only been about fifteen minutes when the other appeared again for a second time, hair hidden beneath his beanie. It wasn’t rainy but it was chilly, so he was clad in the same jean jacket but this time he had on a Nirvana t-shirt and a pair of skinny jeans. His eyes were covered by dark square sunglasses but he removed them once he was safely in the gallery, hanging them off the collar of his shirt.

Seunghyun stared at him as he walked around, admiring the new collection. Daesung had just brought in a new collection of paintings and some sculptures. The artist just stared at the young man as he went but when he turned to look at a sculpture, their eyes met. The drably dressed man wanted to scream at the bad luck he had. He turned his head away quickly, mouth gaping. The other male stood still for a moment before continuing in his viewing of the gallery. Seunghyun covered his mouth in shock, taking a deep breath in relief. When he turned his eyes back, he found the other man glancing at him suspiciously, quickly shifting his gaze when he saw Seunghyun looking at him.

The artist was ready to throw himself out a window over how embarrassed he was. What luck he had that he would look so terribly grungy and get caught staring at an attractive guy. Could he look anymore creepy?

The young man left quicker than he had the last time, casting one sparing glance over his shoulder as he went. Seunghyun couldn’t bring himself to look at him, running his fingers through his hair in frustration. He could officially say he’d come off as a creeper and he just wanted to go home and never leave his bed. He’d never felt so embarrassed. Daesung had about it for days afterwards as well.

----

The saying third time’s the charm was definitely what Seunghyun would use to describe their third encounter. Daesung had managed to actually get his hands on some real genuine paintings by famous artists, some of which were Seunghyun’s favorites. They were to be displayed at the gallery for a month or so and the artist couldn’t wait to look at them up close and personal. They’d be a real motivator for his own artwork. He’d dressed in a button up tucked into some nice jeans with his glasses. His hair was well kempt that night and he thought he looked rather snazzy. Daesung had greeted him with a wide smile.

“You look nice,” he said. “I can’t believe I got these paintings here. The reception is so exciting. I’ve nearly sold out on tickets. I even got wine to be served!”

“Fancy,” Seunghyun chuckled. “I might as well taste a bit.”

“As long as you don’t get all weird, then feel free.”

Seunghyun rolled his eyes as he took a glass of wine. He took a sip just as Daesung thought it would be a nice time to mention something else.

“By the way, that guy you like to stare at is here too.”

The artist nearly choked on the wine, trying not to spit it out. He turned around quickly before his eyes fell on the other man he’d found himself watching before. He was dressed a little nicer than he’d seen, clad in a light blue button up and white skinny jeans with some shoes that looked rather expensive with gold designs on the sides of the black patent leather. He was chatting with someone shorter beside him, a man with a dark Mohawk and tanner than average skin. Seunghyun couldn’t help noticing that the other man had a nice in those jeans and he quickly hoped that he wouldn’t catch him staring again.

“You should talk to him,” Daesung encouraged again. “Just see what he’s like. It’s not like you have to become buddies.”

Seunghyun shrugged, encouraging his friend to go play host with the other patrons of the gallery. Daesung left him alone and the artist wandered, staring at paintings he’d only dreamed of being near. He tilted his head at one particularly, holding his wine glass close to his chin.

“Why would he use these colors here?” he said quietly to himself.

“I’ve always wondered the same thing about this one myself.”

The artist jumped some and looked to the side. Standing beside him was the man he’d been admiring from afar.

“A-ah…You’re a fan of Warhol?”

“I love his work. It’s so creative. I really like Haring’s work though.”

“Did you see some of the pieces? They’re just over there.”

“Oh, really? I didn’t know there would be Haring as well!” the other said excitedly.

Seunghyun couldn’t stop himself from smiling as the shorter man looked around him eagerly. The other then looked to him, their eyes meeting.

“I’m sorry. I should introduce myself. Kwon Jiyong.”

He offered his hand and Seunghyun took it firmly but gently, smiling as they shook.

“Choi Seunghyun.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Same,” the artist smiled. “Are you an artist or something?”

“No. Not at all. I just really enjoy art,” the other chuckled as he sipped his wine. “What brings you here?”

“My friend is the owner of the gallery. I’m an artist though.”

“Oh, really? Have you sold anything?”

“N-Not exactly,” Seunghyun said embarrassedly.

Jiyong’s eyes widened a little and he quickly looked away. “I’m sorry. That was probably rude of me.”

“Don’t worry about it.”

“What kind of art do you do?”

“I’m a painter mostly. I just sort of do whatever strikes me.”

Jiyong nodded, seeming intrigued. “That’s really cool. I wish I could do something like that.”

“What do you do?”

“I’m a musician,” he said with a sweet laugh that was music to Seunghyun’s ears. “My partner and I came together tonight, actually.”

“Oh. That must be exciting.”

“It has its ups and downs.”

Seunghyun nodded some before he could find nothing else to say. Jiyong shifted on his feet, looking down into his wine glass. He then looked up at the other.

“I’m going to go check out that Haring artwork. It was nice chatting with you, Seunghyun.”

“It was nice meeting you, Jiyong. Have a good time looking at the art.”

“Likewise.”

Jiyong wandered past him and Seunghyun released a breath he didn’t know he’d been holding. Despite that the two had seen each other twice and Jiyong had noticed him both times, he didn’t appear to remember him at all. The artist was both grateful for that but also a little disappointed. He spent the rest of the evening staring at Basquiat paintings until closing. As he followed the rest of the crowd out, he caught sight of Jiyong talking with his short friend and a heaviness settled into his chest for an unknown reason. He ended up at home, sitting in front of a canvas and painting with dull blues and grays until the sun came up.

----

Seunghyun stared at the portrait sitting in his sketchbook. It was yet another of Jiyong’s beautiful face and was only one of many that were now on his pages since that night in the gallery. He’d been spending more days on the loveseat waiting for the musician to come in for just a little while. His sketches were rough and different but they were all much better than he would ever expect. Every time after he drew the man, he would end up at home painting for hours on end. He’d actually been running out of room to store all of the canvases he had been filling. That was why he was there that day, waiting for Daesung to come chat with him. He ran a hand over his face before closing his sketchbook and hiding it in his bag as Daesung approached.

“What can I do you for?”

“I kind of need a favor…”

“Rent time?”

“Yeah…I also need some more art supplies.”

“More?”

“I’m almost out of canvas.”

“You had like a year’s worth of canvas!”

“It’s…gone.”

“What?! That’s crazy. So, what is it you need me to do?”

“I was wondering if you’d maybe sell some of my paintings for me…just a few so I can make rent.”

Daesung tilted his head as he considered it. “Well, there is someone trying to buy the gallery’s space for the next few weeks.”

“Oh, I don’t want to impose.”

“No, actually, they don’t want to pay that much for the full space. If I give you some of it, that may convince them to pay the slightly smaller price for the rest. And I won’t charge you because we’re friends. I can’t wait to see the paintings.”

“Thanks, Daesung. You’re a real pal.”

Daesung smiled. “I’m only helping you acknowledge your talent.”

----

The following week the gallery was filled rather nicely for the opening of the new showing. Daesung had printed flyers and passed them out all around the city, Seunghyun’s name printed in a corner. The turnout seemed pretty satisfying to Daesung and Seunghyun was nervously pacing the small section of the gallery where his paintings were hanging. He had selected those he was willing to part with and here they were with little price tags on their frames. The rest of the gallery were filled with prints by a young artist by the name of Seungri that Seunghyun was unfamiliar with. His art wasn’t really his style. Daesung was wandering around and the artist was left alone to toil in his nervousness at having his art on display. If it couldn’t get worse, Jiyong had just walked through the door and Seunghyun felt his heart speeding up.

“Hey,” Jiyong greeted with a small smile.

“Hey. Fancy running into you here.”

“I’m actually friends with the other artist,” the shorter clarified.

“Oh…that’s cool.”

“Although, if I’m being honest…I mostly wanted to come because I saw your name on the flyer. You’d said you were an artist but you hadn’t sold anything so I was curious to see your style.”

Seunghyun’s cheeks flared red just a little but he managed a smile. Jiyong proceeded over to the paintings, looking at them carefully. He then looked over at the other.

“I really like the colors you use. Care to enlighten me about this one?”

“It’s just something I painted when I was sad. I tried to make a physical shape for an emotion.”

“It’s impressive. I really get a feeling out of it. It sort of speaks to me.”

Seunghyun was completely embarrassed by Jiyong’s compliment. He tilted his head as he tapped his fingers against his lips, examining the painting more. They stood in a comfortable silence for a while until another man approached, looping arms with Jiyong.

“Hyung, here you are! Why are you over here?”

“I was just looking at the art.”

“This art is weird. I can’t believe they’re displaying this at the same time as me.”

“Just because you don’t understand the art doesn’t mean you should say that.”

“But it’s so weird. They should have put something up that was more my style, don’t you think?”

“Seungri, the artist is standing right here. You’re being very rude.”

Seungri’s eyes drifted over to Seunghyun and he raised an eyebrow. “Oh. I didn’t realize. My apologies. Come on, hyung. You need to see my stuff.”

Seungri pulled him away and Seunghyun visibly frowned at the other’s attitude. Jiyong gave him a sympathetic smile as he was dragged away.

“Sorry. I’ll see you around.”

Seunghyun waved after him before going to find something to drink. As he hung out alone for the rest of the night, he only got an earful about Seungri’s Strong Baby painting. When he went home, he angrily painted Dead Baby.

----

Daesung was thanking people for buying pieces of the artwork when Jiyong approached him. The gallery owner automatically recognized him so he put a smile on his face.

“Hi. How can I help you?”

“I was interested in purchasing a painting.”

“Oh, which one?”

“That one, actually,” he said, pointing toward the painting he had earlier conversed with Seunghyun about.

“You want one of Seunghyun’s paintings? Wow.”

“Is that a bad thing?”

“Oh, no. I just didn’t expect that.”

“Is he not selling well?”

“It’s doing all right. We don’t exactly have a large influx of gallery goers so sales are hard in the first place. He’s small name as well. I’m actually surprised that Seungri wanted to do his show here. The gallery is so unknown. That Warhol night a while back ago was the best time I’d ever had.” Daesung sighed some. “Sorry. I’m rambling. You wanted that painting?”

“Yes.”

“Ah, that one is a little pricy.”

“How much are we talking when we say pricy?”

“Five hundred bucks.”

Jiyong released a huff of air. “Damn…That’s a little out of my price range.”

“I’m sorry.”

“That’s alright. I guess I can’t take it home with me. I hope someone will buy it.”

“Thank you for your interest.”

“Not a problem. Can you tell Seunghyun I think he’s really talented?” Jiyong sighed and his heel. “Have a nice night.”

Daesung bid him good bye and immediately rushed over to Seunghyun, who was hiding in a corner.

“Seunghyun.”

“What?”

“That guy you like wanted to buy one of your paintings.”

“He did?! Which one?”

“That one,” the younger pointed. “He said you were talented.”

“How much did you ask for?”

“Five hundred like we agreed.”

“What did he say?”

“That it was out of his price range.”

“Why didn’t you sell it to him for cheaper?!”

“How was I supposed to know you’d be okay with that?!”

Seunghyun sighed. “If he comes back, sell it to him for cheaper.”

“Alright. He knew your name at least.”

“Yeah. We’ve chatted a few times.”

Daesung merely smiled at his friend’s shy smile.

----

Just as he was asked, Daesung waited for Jiyong to return. He was even telling people the painting had already been sold just in case the other would come back for it.

“I’m sorry, that painting’s already been sold.”

The person thanked him and walked off. Daesung turned to go back to the front but found Jiyong waiting just in front of him.

“Oh, hello again.”

“I came to ask about that painting again, but you just told that woman it was sold, so…” the other said sheepishly.

“You really came back for that painting?”

“Yeah. I just got paid and I figured I could skim a little off the top. I tried to tell myself I didn’t need another painting but I just kept thinking about it…That’s too bad.”

Daesung smiled some. “Wow. I didn’t think it was that important to you. In all honesty, the painting is still for sale. I’ve been lying until you came back.”

“R-Really?”

“Yes. Seunghyun really wanted you to be able to get it.”

“He did?”

“He even told me to sell it to you for cheaper.”

Jiyong seemed shocked. “So, how much are we talking?”

“How does $300 sound?”

“I’ll take it,” Jiyong agreed, getting out the bills and offering them.

Daesung took them with a smile. “Thanks for your patronage.”

“Thank you. I take it I have to wait to pick it up?”

“Yes. We’re only showing Seungri for another week, so I’ll give you a call to let you know when to come pick it up. Could I get some contact information?”

Jiyong agreed and offered him his contact information. The musician then left happily and Daesung only smiled. After closing the gallery, he headed over to Seunghyun’s loft not too far away and knocked. There was no answer for a few seconds before Seunghyun dragged open the door with some difficulty, looking a mess with his hair sticking out every which way and wearing an apron which was splotched with paint.

“Are you working right now?”

“Yeah…” the artist admitted with a sheepish smile.

“Mind if I come in for a second?”

“No. Come in. Just be careful of the canvases.”

Seunghyun stepped aside and headed back towards his work station. Daesung shut the door and followed him. As he made his way after Seunghyun, his mouth fell open at the amounts of canvases that were scattered around the apartment. The elder man had returned to painting and the gallery owner stopped on the other side of the canvas.

“These are all filled?”

“Yeah.”

“Wow…” Daesung then regained his composure and smiled. “That guy you like came back.”

Seunghyun stopped painting and looked at Daesung. “So?” he said, trying not to sound eager.

“He bought that painting.”

“How much?”

“Three hundred.”

“You could have sold it to him for $250!”

“Seunghyun! He was willing to pay all five hundred for it!! He was happy to pay the three hundred! You need the money.”

The elder nodded some, not wanting to argue. He began to paint again, focusing on his brush . Daesung, curious, stepped around so he could see.

“No! Don’t!”

But it was too late and Daesung was staring at Seunghyun’s painting of Jiyong. It was beautiful, flattering, and colorful. His mouth dropped open in shock.

“Oh my god…that’s beautiful.”

“It’s embarrassing.”

“How many of these have you done?”

“Maybe three or four…”

Daesung went over to a small section of the canvases that covered the room and began to pick them up, looking at the paintings.

“Why don’t you let me display these? There are so many! You could make so much money.”

“I’m not well known. No one would want to see it.”

“Seunghyun,” the young man fumed. “Fine. I’m taking these.”

“What?! What are you going to do with them?”

“I’m going to get them matted and framed so I can put them in the gallery and sell them for what I think they are worth.”

“D-Daesung…”

“No arguing. I’m taking these. If you don’t want me to take some, get them now.”

Seunghyun scrambled to move the canvases he didn’t want Daesung to take. The other grabbed as many as he could carry and then gave Seunghyun the money Jiyong had paid.

“Thanks for all the paintings. See you later.”

Seunghyun watched his friend leave, pocketing the money he’d been handed. He returned to his stool and stared at the colorful Jiyong painting. He ran his hands over his face as he sighed.

----

Seunghyun sat quietly on the loveseat as usual, sketching. The gallery was closed that day since the art was being traded out for new ones and people were coming to pick up their purchases. He was tired from painting until dawn yet again but Daesung had asked him to come over so they could look at the paintings he was planning to display. He sleepily rubbed at his eyes as he put down his pencil. He felt the loveseat sink beside him and looked over to find Jiyong beside him. His eyes widened in surprise and he leaned back a little.

“Hey. This is a cozy little spot. I never would have noticed it.”

“Y-Yeah…I hang out here a lot. What are you doing here?”

“I came to pick up my painting. Daesung gave me a call, so yeah…”

The musician appeared a little nervous, his hands wringing together in his lap and then sliding over his pant legs to pick at the hole in the knee. He looked up at Seunghyun and smiled just a little, looking every bit adorable and Seunghyun had to will himself not to blush profusely and calm his jittering heart.

“I’m really happy I could get that painting. Thank you,” he smiled. “Do you maybe want to grab coffee some time?”

Seunghyun’s mouth dropped open and he nearly struggled to breathe. He nodded wordlessly. Jiyong smiled at him, getting out a pen and looking at him expectantly. The artist nervously got out his sketchbook, making sure to open it up to a blank page without revealing his sketches. The musician scribbled his number down and then got up, going to obtain his painting after giving him a small good-bye. Seunghyun stared at the number in a slight daze. When he looked toward the door after the musician, Daesung gave him a thumbs up.

----

Another art show selling Seunghyun’s paintings came but Seunghyun had still yet to call Jiyong. He couldn’t bring himself to do so with confidence. He’d dialed the other once but hung up after one ring. He felt nervous as he paced around the gallery, wondering if he’d run into the other. It was unusual but there were more people there than expected and a lot of them were liking his art.

“Hey.”

Seunghyun nearly spilled his champagne at the sudden voice next to him, but composed himself as he gazed at the smaller man.

“H-Hi.”

“You never called,” he said immediately, “Did I come on too strong or something?”

“N-No, I…I’m honestly not very confident. I couldn’t bring myself to actually call you, I was so nervous.”

Jiyong laughed, covering his mouth with his hand as he smiled. “That’s so cute.”

Seunghyun smiled sheepishly, drinking some champagne. He looked around and saw more people were coming in. “Wow. There are a lot of people here tonight.”

“I sort of asked all my friends to come and check it out. Daesung mentioned that the gallery doesn’t get many visitors.”

“You invited all these people?”

“Well, I invited my friends and asked them to invite their own. Apparently it worked.”

“Thank you so much.”

“No problem. So, want to tell me about these new paintings?”

Seunghyun agreed and followed Jiyong over to his own artworks, talking about his inspiration and technique as the young man asked and put in his own input. After the showing was over, Jiyong was set to head home but he lingered behind for Seunghyun. The artist had helped Daesung close up and, after pulling his jacket on, headed outside.

“Good job tonight,” Jiyong congratulated.

“Thanks. You just hanging out?”

“I wanted to schedule our date since you’re too chicken to call.”

“O-Oh. Good idea.”

Jiyong withdrew his phone and offered it to him. “Give me your number so I can call you later. Are you free Friday?”

“Friday sounds good,” the taller agreed, taking the phone and entering his contact information.

“Let’s meet at eight at that bar,” he pointed over his shoulder, “Friday. You better show up.”

He poked Seunghyun in the chest sharply with a small smile. The elder blushed a little and offered back the phone. Jiyong took it and then tiptoed to press a kiss to the man’s cheek. He gave a sheepish smile and, with a wave, ran off, leaving Seunghyun to stand dumbfounded on the sidewalk with his eyes widened as he blushed.

----

Seunghyun tucked his checkered button up into his jeans as he looked at himself in the mirror. He was going to meet Jiyong in half an hour and he needed to look his best. He put his belt on slowly to distract himself. Then it was about fixing his black hair in just the right way and deciding whether to wear his glasses or not. He decided to skip the glasses after nearly five minutes of deliberation and checked his watch to find he only had ten minutes. He cursed as he grabbed a coat and ran out the door, heading for the bar. He made it just in time and managed to find Jiyong with ease. The other was sitting at the bar with a drink already, clad in a loose fitting black button up and some faded and distressed jeans. He waved at him with a smile and motioned to the stool beside him. Seunghyun sat down beside him and smiled.

“Sorry, I’m late.”

“No. You’re right on time. I’m just early.”

The elder nodded and ordered a beer for himself. He took a drink before looking at Jiyong. “So…”

“So.”

He bit his lip nervously and then looked at him. “How did you come to become a musician?”

Jiyong smiled some. “I’ve always loved music. Actually, when I was little I had this traumatic experience when I worked with a label and we released one single. Then they suddenly cut my contract and I swore I would never work in the business again. And bam, here I am in New York, working on my debut track to be an idol.”

Seunghyun chuckled a bit. “Couldn’t keep your own promise to yourself.”

“I guess not. I really wanted to become a musician. I didn’t feel like I was meant to do anything else.”

“Why are you here if you haven’t debuted though?”

“They decided to send us here to train and record the mini-album. We’re almost done. It’s coming together nice.”

“That’s really cool. They must have a lot of faith in you.”

“We’re pretty talented if you ask me,” he chuckled, sipping on his beverage.

“I’d like to have a listen sometime.”

Jiyong giggled some and then looked at him. “How did you decide to become an artist?”

The elder man looked up a moment to collect his thoughts. “I don’t know. I guess I just thought it would be something nice to do. I was really shy when I was younger and I always admired art. Specifically Warhol and Basquiat, you know? I decided to go to college and I took a lot of art classes. My teachers told me I was pretty good, so I applied for the art program and got in. I did a transfer program over here and I liked it so much, I stayed.”

“How long ago was that?”

“About two years.”

“You don’t miss Korea?”

“I do. I miss my family…but New York is so liberating and different. Art can be a lot more outrageous here.”

“Outrageous, huh?”

“Weird art is cool.”

“Is that what inspired Dead Baby?” Jiyong chortled. “I was rolling the other night when I saw that. Seungri would have freaked.”

Seunghyun blushed a little. “I…yeah…that was childish of me.”

“Nah. It was totally cool. You’re supposed to put your emotions into your art. That’s what makes it great.”

“Are you sure you aren’t an artist?”

“Not like you. I’m an artist with sound,” he replied smugly.

The painter grinned and nodded, changing topics with ease. The two chatted as they drank for nearly two hours before Jiyong decided he was done drinking. Seunghyun, being the gentleman he was, offered to walk him home. They walked a few blocks, passing by Daesung’s gallery, before coming to a tall apartment complex. Jiyong turned to look at him when they were standing on the steps.

“Do you want to come up for a little while?” he asked with a little quirk of his eyebrows, putting his hands on Seunghyun’s shoulders.

The artist blushed. “I…uhh…well…”

Jiyong giggled some and leaned forward, pressing their foreheads together. “I’m not going to jump you, Seunghyun. I’m nicer than that. I thought I could play my demo for you.”

The artist wanted to laugh but the hammering in his chest wouldn’t stop. He instead felt himself smirking and apparently the look worked because Jiyong’s expression became one of surprise. The musician pulled away, his cheeks tinted pink, and opened up the front door to the complex. He led Seunghyun up a few flights of stairs before pushing open the door to his small, one bedroom apartment. It was somewhat clean, the floor at least tidy but there were clothes strewn all over the furniture. Jiyong scrambled to clean it up, throwing all of his clothes into his bedroom door and shutting it. He pushed back his hair nervously as he smiled at the taller man.

“Sorry for the clutter.”

“It’s quite alright,” Seunghyun said, sitting down on the couch gently.

Jiyong went over to his stereo and picked through all the CDs stacked on top of it. He moved a few before finding the one he wanted. While he put it in, Seunghyun looked around the apartment. When he got a good look at the place, it was pretty nice. There was a cool colored theme within and all of the furniture was black leather. One of Seunghyun’s paintings was hanging on the wall in the living room, looking like it belonged there. Another was hanging in the kitchen. He looked down in embarrassment just as the music came on. It was a loud and energetic rap that was obviously Jiyong’s voice due to the nasal tone. Seunghyun closed his eyes as he listened. Despite the harsh sound, Jiyong’s lyrics were deep and meaningful. Once the rap had finished, a random CD of instrumental tracks came on. The artist looked over at Jiyong, who was looking at him with a slight blush.

“It was my first demo. I swear I’m a lot better now but I can’t find any better ones…”

Seunghyun merely smiled, shaking his head, before reaching out and taking Jiyong’s face into one hand. The singer fell silent in surprise, looking at the artist in expectation, before he opened his mouth just a little. The elder male leaned in and captured his lips while Jiyong’s hands slipped around his neck. They kissed for a few moments and Seunghyun felt like fireworks were exploding in his chest, heart pounding harder than it ever had. When they pulled back, Jiyong had a small smile.

“I…uh…was that okay?”

“I liked it,” the musician laughed. “I think I wanna do it again.”

Seunghyun laughed before kissing Jiyong again, holding his face firmly in his hands as their lips met over and over. They lost track of time of how long they kissed until Jiyong was nearly slumping into the other, exhaustion overtaking him. Seunghyun smiled lazily, pressing more kisses to his lips.

“I have to go.”

“You can stay.”

“I really can’t.”

Jiyong’s eyes showed a glint of fear in them as he looked at the artist. He wanted to ask why but he couldn’t open his mouth, not wanting to sound desperate.

“I need to get home. I don’t want this to get messed up by moving too fast. If you still want me to stay over next time, I will. I have to be a gentleman on the first date.”

That seemed to appease Jiyong and the musician walked him to his door, leaning against the doorframe. They shared one last lazy kiss before Seunghyun bid him good night and headed home in a daze, confused on what exactly had just transpired that evening.

----

Once they’d kissed, Seunghyun had no qualms about calling Jiyong and inviting him out on another date. The two fell into a routine of dates, ending up back at Jiyong’s apartment and making out for hours on end. They spent a lot of time talking about art and music which Seunghyun loved more than anything else, proving Jiyong really was the perfect man for him. They always ended up back at Jiyong’s apartment because Seunghyun was too scared of him discovering his paintings. Some mornings Seunghyun would find Jiyong so beautiful in his slumber, the light falling on him just right, that he would slip out of bed and draw him. The musician begged him to draw him on numerous occasions, but he always declined. As their time together grew longer and longer, Seunghyun became less and less aware that eventually their time would come to an end.

----

“Seunghyun, please draw me just once. I want to see it!”

“Jiyong, I told you,” the artist laughed as he removed his glasses to run a hand over his face.

Jiyong pouted and slithered into the elder’s lap, wrapping his arms around his neck. “Please. Please, it’ll mean so much to me.”

“It’s not a big deal.”

“Yes, it is. I need something to remember you by,” the smaller whimpered as he pressed his face into Seunghyun’s neck.

The artist froze for a moment at the words and then looked down at the other. “What are you talking about?”

“My flight back to Korea was booked. I’m going home to debut.” Jiyong was quiet a moment. “My visa is going to expire…I have to go.”

The artist gulped. “I…I had forgotten…that you’d leave.”

Jiyong’s eyes welled with tears. “Seunghyun,” he cried, pressing his face into his shoulder even more.

His body shook some as he cried. Seunghyun held Jiyong close, trying not to cry himself as he rubbed his back gently. After they’d both calmed down, the artist pulled back and looked into Jiyong’s eyes.

“Okay. I’ll show you.”

The younger looked at him confusedly but Seunghyun reached into his bag and withdrew his sketchbook. He offered it to the younger, who gave him a quizzical look.

“Look at it.”

Jiyong opened up the sketchbook. The very first page was of him. He gasped some as he took in Seunghyun’s sharp lines, his use of shading and crosshatching, and the immense detail. It was almost like looking at a photograph. He turned the page and found two more. His fingers kept turning pages and all he found was himself looking back at him, looking different yet the same in each one. He gaped at the artist.

“When did you--?”

“I’m always watching you. You’re the greatest inspiration I’ve ever had.”

Jiyong felt his eyes well up with tears again and he cried, tears crinkling the edges of the pages. Seunghyun held him tight, tears slipping from the edges of his eyes.

----

“Please, do me this one favor,” he begged.

Daesung shook his head. “I would never turn you down, you silly man. I’d be more than happy to help you out.”

“Thanks, Daesung. Really.”

“It’s the least I can do. Bring them all over and we’ll set it up.”

“You’re a life saver, Daesung.”

Daesung rolled his eyes and pushed his friend some with a light laugh. “You’re too romantic for your own good, I swear.”

Seunghyun merely smiled.

----

Jiyong tugged on Seunghyun’s hand as the elder pulled him down the street against his will.

“Seunghyun, I have to pack. I have to have everything ready by tomorrow. I don’t have time to go out.”

“It won’t take too long. Please. You’ll like it.”

Jiyong huffed but didn’t fight, following the other down the street. They reached the gallery and it was all lit up, open for business. The musician quirked a brow.

“I didn’t know Daesung was having a showing tonight. Who’s it of?”

“Why don’t we go inside and look?”

The younger looked at him skeptically. It seemed odd Seunghyun wouldn’t know but from the way he had said it, he did know and wasn’t telling him for some reason. It was like he was implying he would like it but he’d have to look for himself. The musician sighed in frustration and followed the elder into the gallery. His eyes widened as his breath left him at the sight.

The gallery was filled with paintings of him. Every single piece had some sort of homage to Jiyong. A large sign hung by the door labeled “The Art of Choi Seunghyun—Muse of Perfection.” His eyes pricked with tears as he grew closer to each painting, taking in the artistic quality Seunghyun had given to his own face. It was like looking at a version of himself that wasn’t truly him in any way; only a reflection of how Seunghyun saw him. Each was beautiful and different, unique and heart wrenching. Some were warm with bright colors while others were sad with muted color palettes. Others presented him as a figure of inspiration, appearing as a hybrid of a bird and person or as a god-like mythical figure, while others showed him at his most simple, when he laughed or smiled.

“Seunghyun, you…you made all of these?”

“Yes,” the artist nodded. “Do you like them?”

“I love them…but how did you have the time?”

“I’ve been making them for months. Since I first laid my eyes on you, you inspired me. I was embarrassed to show you, but I wanted you to see how much you’ve affected me before you leave. I wanted to you to know that I love you and it all shows within my art no matter what I do. I’ll miss you more than anything I’ve ever missed before.”

Jiyong cried, hugging Seunghyun tight and holding him close. The artist smiled and showed him around the gallery, telling him about each painting in detail until no one was left in the gallery except for the two of them. Jiyong picked a favorite and Seunghyun made sure Daesung would have it prepared to go to Seoul with the young musician. Then, Seunghyun took Jiyong back to his own apartment for the first time and they made love for nearly the entire night. As the younger lay in bed, sleeping soundly, Seunghyun painted on his easel until the sun was fully up and illuminating the room with powerful rays.

----

It rained the day Jiyong went back to Korea. Seunghyun took him to the airport since he’d insisted. Jiyong couldn’t stop crying, hugging the older and gripping the painting he was taking back with him as close as he could. Seunghyun merely encouraged him not to cry, rubbing his back and carrying his bags for him. They were checked but Jiyong refused to separate from the painting he held in his arms, neatly wrapped for safe travel. Even if all of his luggage was lost by the airport staff, he couldn’t risk losing his painting. Once he was left only with his painting, carry on, passport, and boarding pass, they finally had to say good-bye.

“I’ll miss you,” Jiyong managed out, having stopped crying finally.

“I’ll miss you too. Call me when you get there.”

“I will. Promise you’ll watch my debut, alright?”

“Of course. I’ll support you in every way I can. Don’t worry about me. Focus on your career.”

Seunghyun nudged Jiyong toward the line but the other looked at him, distraught. He really didn’t want to go, but if he didn’t, he’d be giving up his dream. The artist took a deep breath, leaning forward to kiss his forehead.

“Go, Jiyong. You want this. I won’t ever forget you.”

Jiyong couldn’t bring himself to say good-bye. He merely nodded, feeling his eyes fill up again as Seunghyun blurred a bit. He tiptoed and pressed their lips together for a final time before getting into line. Seunghyun watched Jiyong until he had passed through security and into the terminal, losing sight of his brown hair he’d grown so fond of. The artist returned to his car, finding it was now pouring. He couldn’t help but feel that the weather was matching his feelings.

He painted from the moment he got home and late into the night, waiting for Jiyong’s call which never came.

----

Months passed and Seunghyun’s fame grew due to his series of Jiyong paintings. Actual businesses were contacting him, eager to get an original piece for their lobbies, offices, or conference rooms. Seunghyun was happy, since he no longer needed to worry about making his rent on time or begging Daesung to sell a few paintings for him when he needed help, but he felt empty all the same. He’d been contacted by Jiyong a few times and had even been mailed a copy of their first single. Seunghyun had been mentioned in the “thanks to” section which warmed his heart. But the empty feeling filled his heart, missing Jiyong’s sweet kisses and the familiar dip of the bed beside him.

----

“I’ll really miss you. Make sure to come back and visit,” Daesung said with a small smile, offering Seunghyun his hand.

Seunghyun shook his head and embraced his friend. “I’ll miss you as well. I promise I’ll come back to visit you in a few months. This is what I need to do though.”

“I understand,” the smaller man nodded. “Go get him.”

And with his boarding pass, passport, and painting in hand, Seunghyun proceeded into the terminal so he could board his flight.

----

He’d only gotten five feet out of arrivals area before he heard the scream of his name. He looked and barely caught sight of Jiyong before he was captured in a bone crushing hug. The artist laughed but twirled his lover around as they hugged tightly. Once he put him down, he grinned.

“You didn’t miss me too much, did you?”

“Only every moment of every day.”

Seunghyun couldn’t stop himself from smiling even more. He then held up the wrapped canvas a bit. “I come baring a gift.”

Jiyong grinned. “I can’t wait to see. Oh, and there are already people asking me about how to contact you. I’m pretty sure establishing yourself here won’t be difficult at all.”

“As long as you’re with me, I don’t care.”

Jiyong giggled, his now blond hair falling into his face. Seunghyun pushed it away before leaning down to capture his lips. The other melted into his touch and for a minute, they didn’t care about anything going on around them. They then left the airport hand in hand, ready to begin their new adventure in Korea together.


Yay! It's finished! I really like this one~

I was having a hard time figuring out what I'd make this about, but I actually had a dream about GD recently and when I woke up, I had the idea. (You can read about my dream in my blog if you are curious) I don't have much to say about this other than it was fun and I know more about being an artist than being a musician, so it was more about Seunghyun because of that lol And sorry for the small amount of angst right at the end there. We needed some conflict lol

I apologize for lack of but I've been lacking in the inspiration to write any ^^; I still hope it was fluffy enough for you! Or cute at least :<

I have these visions in my head of Seunghyun's paintings and I really wish I could draw well so I could make them because they'd be pretty cool in my opinion lol