5/

One Last Chance

March 2006

Well. This was awkward.

It was the new kids first night in the dorms with the rest of the group, and everyone was just sitting awkwardly around the dining table, not quite sure what to say. Glancing around Sungmin focused on the new kid – Kyuhyun – squirming in his seat as an obviously disgruntled Heechul stared the poor boy down.

The room was completely silent, an amazing feat considering the people who were gathered, the only noises coming from the kitchen, murmurs of Ryeowook and Hankyung filling the dead air.

Turning his gaze from the boy Sungmin settled on Leeteuk, who was carefully observing him from his seat across the table. He raised his eyebrow, silently questioning his hyung what they should do. Leeteuk gave him a subtle shrug in response, looking at the rest of the silent boys, no one willing to take the first step to start any sort of conversation.

Five tense minutes later Ryeowook and Hankyung entered the dining room, laying heaping piles of food onto the table between them. As the group dug into their food in continuing silence Ryeowook settled into his seat, rolling his eyes at his hyungs before looking at Sungmin, gesturing at him to do something. Giving the boy a nervous nod Sungmin clears his throat, capturing the attention of the group.

“...so, Kyuhyun-ah... are you excited to start performing with us? I saw your audition and you're an amazing singer! It's going to be really interesting seeing how your voice works alongside Ryeowookie and Yesung hyung!”

Kyuhyun looked up at him, eyes wide as the rest of the group turned from Sungmin to him. The boy blushed from the attention, and after a small nudge from Ryeowook he inhaled a deep breath before giving Sungmin a smile.

“Yes hyung, its a scary thought but I'm looking forward to performing on stage with you all, although knowing my luck i'll just end up falling on my face...”

“Nonsense Kyuhyunnie!” Ryeowook exclaimed, hitting the younger boy gently. “You'll be absolutely fine! Besides... if anyone is going to end up falling it would be Sungie hyung.”

“ME!?”

“Yes you! You've fallen at least five times already – once when we were just walking off stage!”

Yesung pouted, glancing at Ryeowook with what he assumed was a sad expression [that just made him look silly rather than pitiful] while Heechul let out a loud laugh beside him, startling the rest of the group. “Wook is right Yesung - you'd probably manage stumble your way off a bridge if you weren't looking where you were going”

As the group erupted into a mess of giggles and teasing, Sungmin glanced back at Leeteuk who was smiling widely at him. Returning the smile as Leeteuk gave him a small nod, he turned back to the group, where Donghae was eagerly talking with an oddly confident Kyuhyun.

“Not to brag but I am pretty much the ruler of all things video games around here, its near impossible to take me down.”

“Well Hae hyung... thats just because you haven't versed the likes of me. Just you wait.”

---

After the very successful [by Sungmin's standards at least] dinner, the rest of the group had moved to the lounge where they were arguing over which video game to play, while Sungmin stayed behind and cleaned up the pile of dishes. Up to his arms in the soapy water he felt someone come behind him, looking over his shoulder before reaching to grab a tea towel, helping dry the dishes as he went.

“Thankyou for helping them get through that Sungminnie. They would've just taken it as an order if I tried and do anything – you did a lot of good for both Kyuhyun and the rest of the group.”

Sungmin looked at the boy beside him, flicking the hair from his eyes he gave him a large smile. “It was nothing really Teukie hyung... they need to start getting along eventually, they just needed a push. Besides, its Ryeowookie orchestrating the acceptance of Kyuhyun more than me – if you should be thanking anyone its him.”

As the finished up cleaning the last of the plates Leeteuk turned Sungmin around, pulling him into a light hug. “You're the one who needs to be thanked' he whispered, clinging to the younger boy, “you've done more good to this group than anyone. I'm so glad I have you around Sungminnie.”

The two stayed in their embrace, before a loud call from Donghae broke them apart. Leeteuk smiled at him, dimple showing as he pulled Sungmin with him into the next room, to the cheers of the group.

 

---

 

[DAY 04]

The dining room was bustling, all the members clamouring to get a seat around the now crowded table, as they waited for Sungmin and Ryeowook to finish up in the kitchen. It was the first time in almost a year that the group in its entirety had gathered in one place, everyone overwhelmed with their busy schedules.

At Ryeowook's request [or rather, his demand], everyone had put aside this one night as a sort of goodbye party for their enlisting hyung. With Siwon leaving alongside Zhoumi for China in the morning, it was the last time that they would be able to gather as a unified group until after the enlistment date.

Sungmin followed Ryeowook into the dining room, everyone letting out a cheer as the plates were placed between them, immediately digging in. After placing the dish on the table Sungmin looked over the filled seats, finding the only available space in the corner beside Leeteuk. Sitting down at the table he sent his hyung a small smile, before turning to find a smirking Ryeowook and Kangin looking at them from across the table. Rolling his eyes he focused on Hyukjae, who was trying to tell some sort of story in between giggles and mouthfuls of food.

“...and it got to the fanchant part of the song and Hae managed to actually forget his own name! He just stood there on stage awkwardly bobbing his head as the fans screamed pretending he knew what he was doing!”

“OI!” Donghae shouted, flicking food angrily at Hyukjae in retaliation as he continued to giggle, clutching his stomach as the food flew over his head. Donghae continued throwing food at him before he suddenly stopped, eyes wide. Turning to the seat beside Hyukjae, the group erupted with giggles as the large chunk of rice completely missed Donghae's original target, hitting Kyuhyun square in the face instead.

“Oops?” Donghae whispered, smiling sheepishly at the unamused maknae as the rest of the group roared with laughter.

Sungmin giggled as Leeteuk gasped, clutching his sides as he tried to stifle his laughter. “You know... I think I'm going to miss this ridiculousness the second most during my time in the army...”

“Yah hyung!” Donghae shouted, “What is that supposed to mean!? We're second best?”

“Quiet down Hae” Siwon sighed, trying to calm his hyperactive friend. “What are you going to miss the most then hyung?”

“Oh well thats easy... my special dongsaeng is what I'll miss most of all!” Leeteuk replied, looking down at his plate with a smile. The room fell silent for a second, members looking around the room before a snort came from Kyuhyun, smirk filling his face.

“Well obviously that rules out Hae hyung... it's most likely me I mean I'm the maknae after all you all adore me.” War broke out over the table once again, Kyuhyun chuckling as his hyungs argued over who was considered Leeteuk's 'special dongsaeng'. 

Sungmin watched on in amusement as Donghae tried to loudly convince everyone that it was obvious it was him,

[“I've known hyung the longest it has to be me!”

“...you do realise thats a complete lie right? Hyukjae has known him longer than you.”

“oh yeah... well it feels like i've known him the longest!!]

before there is a gentle nudge against his shoulder. Turning to face Leeteuk he saw his hyung give him a subtle wink before he casually turned back to his meal. A light blush lit up Sungmin's face, quickly looking down at his own plate until laughter across from his caught his attention.

He looked over at a grinning Ryeowook and elated Kangin, both looking at him in excitement. Giving them a mock glare he threw his own bits of food at the two of them, grinning  as it hit them both directly.

Despite the teasing and arguments around the table, Sungmin still couldn't manage to wipe the smile off his face.