Prologue

Mutants
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Prologue

 

 

 

The day Dara's mutation shows itself, she's 14. 

She's with her schoolmates at some popular girls house. Youngbae dragged her and Seunghyun as soon as they put a foot on the school gate for about four blocks, murmuring something related to an afterschool party with the cool kids to which they were obligated to attend because if not he would make a complete fool of himself and he couldn't do that in front of his crush. 

(Although both Dara and Tabi knew he just needed their support for when he finally has the guts to speak to Jieun)

 

They're in a living room with a bunch of guys and just a few girls, making a circle and getting ready to play with the vodka bottle someone found over a cabinet with no much alcohol left. The boys  are all from her class, although she hasn't spoke to any of them more than once -and that once being a time when she needed something. The girls are a different matter- she hates them because they're stupid and plastic and she can't imagine how they'll be by the time highschool comes. Probably worst.

Dara is desperate to leave. Her back hurts like hell and she has been feeling really weird all day long, but there's really no use in complaining. Youngbae will beg  her to resist because he just likes this girl  so much and this is his opportunitty to kiss her, how can she be so mean?

Tabi takes her hand, kisses her cheek and she's suddenly all right again. This game is stupid and doesn't want to play it, either, because she already has Tabi and Tabi has her but they can't just watch from the side when Youngbae is about to have a panic attack.

Some dumb guy drags them both to sit on the floor. Tabi holds onto her hand tightly when she turns her head to smile at him, while some fake blonde girl takes the bottle and spins it until it stops in front of mister king of cool kids -Kwon Jiyong. The room explodes into cheers and mocking but Dara is way too distracted trying to know where in the hell is Youngbae.

Dumb boy cheers for some reason and takes the bottle in his hands. He stares right at her, his lips mischievously before spinning the damn thing.

It stops right in front of her. 

 

Tabi pulls her hand in a second as if trying to get her out of there. Dumb kid and the rest of the crew block him to go anywhere while sneaky little Jiyoung makes his move and stands just a few inches away from her face. Fake blond is pulling Tabi off  and she gets distracted, then the bastard  takes the chance and kisses her on the lips, stepping away with a  pompous smile. 
Youngbae materialize near them suddenly looking nervous, just in time to see her loose her temper and  slap the King's face away from hers with all the strenght she has.

Everybody stares at her.

Someone makes a high pitched snarl -probably fake blond- and suddenly she remembers she has a very tall and overprotective boyfriend next to her, who has his hands holding Jiyong's collar to the point of choking him. 

Her back hurts again and the weird feeling is  all over her body. The situation is getting out of control and she doesn't know what to do because ing Seunghyun won't loose his grip on the bastard's neck.

 

She barely has the time to yell "Stop!" when everybody turns to face her.

 

Silence fills the room.

 

All of them, including Tabi, are staring at her with horror and she doesn't know what the hell is going on. Their faces are full of the most absolute shock and she can't think of anything apart from holding onto her boyfriend hand as a way to ask for a ing explanation because every person on that damn room is staring at her face like she suddenly grow two more heads .

Tabi drops her hand, and she feels hopeless. 

 

"Mutant!" somebody screams, and she tries to watch her reflection through the bottle that's pointing at her but all she sees is pink.

Over her head.

Where her hair is supposed to be.

 

She runs to the bathroom with all the strenght she has left and locks the door as soon as she gets in. The mirror is a few steps away but she doesn't want to, doesn't dare to look. She's scared, so, so scared, she doesn't want to look at her reflection because she wouldn't know what to do if what she saw reflected in the bottle is actually herself.

But she has to.

So she moves towards the mirror and closes her eyes. Her hands are  into fists and her lip is probably bleeding from biting it so much.

Dara opens her eyes, but what stares back at her is not something she has seen before. 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter