Art of Death - Kyumin

Dumb Ways To Die

Sungmin was looking around an antique shop. He just move in town to pursue his degree on photography, and he was looking for a camera... in an antique shop. He was what everyone call hipster. At first he didn't really know why he was labeled like that, but he realized that it was because of his clothing. He really can't blame them if they call him a hipster because of his clothing style. It's better than being a fashion terrorist anyway. In time, he just embraced that title and became a full-blown hipster. Of course, choosing that path in life requires dedication to own at least one vintage thing, thus he's here now looking for a usable camera.

After looking some more, he spotted an old portable camera on a glass display. He went closer to inspect the thing, but he can't since it was enclosed inside the glass.

"That one was cursed." A boy said.

"What do you mean?" Sungmin asked the nerdy-looking kid.

"They said that people who were captured by that camera would die."

"How about if I use it on non-living things?"

"I don't know. I haven't tried it yet."

"Do you work here?"

"My family owns this place. I'm Cho Kyuhyun."

"I'm Lee Sungmin. Does this thing still work?"

"Do you wanna see for yourself?"

Kyuhyun took out the keys and unlocked the camera. He gave it to Sungmin, who handled it carefully.

"Whoa! It doesn't need batteries?" Sungmin observed.

"Yes, but you still need film to use it."

"That's fine. Care if I try it?"

"No, go ahead. Just don't point it at me" Kyuhyun joked.

"I don't like taking photos of people anyway." Sungmin saw that there was a film inside. He then focused the camera across the room and clicked the shutter."

Kyuhyun looked closely at Sungmin as he was biting his lips while trying to see if the camera still works. He wondered how it will feel if he kissed it. He was imagining thing when he was distracted by the lights from the camera.

"Well it seems like it's still working. I'll take it."

"Okay." Was all Kyuhyun said.

"Uhm, how much does this costs?"

"Nothing. I'll give it to you for free. My great-great uncle actually made it himself. It was passed on to me as a family heirloom, but I don't want it. You can have it and the rest of the sets I have in the storage room."

"Are you sure?" Sungmin could not say no to free stuffs, but it was still Kyuhyun's heirloom.

"Yes. Wait, I'll just grab the other things."

Kyuhyun really was serious. After giving Sungmin the carrier bag, set of lenses and some unused film, Sungmin hurriedly left before could Kyuhyun change his mind.

"I hope there's something wrong with the camera." Kyuhyun told himself.

"I'm the only one who could fix it. If it's not working, he'll come back for sure. How else am I going to meet him now? I didn't not even get his number."

 

Back at the dorm, Sungmin tried to ignore everyone and headed directly to his room.

"Hey Sungmin!" One of the students called him.

"Hey... what do you want Kangin?" Maybe Sungmin needs to develop his social skill more.

"Calm down. We are just going to have some party at my room while the dorm master is out."

"Count me out. I don't like parties. I'd rather be alone."

"That's the spirit! I'm not actually inviting you. I'm just asking if you'd be available tonight to be the on the look-out. We don't have to worry at all."

"And why would I do that?" Sungmin retorted. He have to step up for himself.

Kangin leaned closer and whispered in his ears.

"We don't want the master to catch us right? You know how awful he gets when we disobey the rules." The guy faced him, their faces just inches apart. "I'll get this. You can take it back after the party." He got Sungmin's camera and left.

 

Sungmin begrudgingly sat at the lobby with his mp3, waiting for their dorm master's arrival. He can't let anyone just take Kyuhyun's camera away. He was not even intending to use it since it was something important for him. It was Kyuhyun's camera and Kyuhyun gave it to him himself! Unknown to Sungmin, the people in the party started using the camera, taking selfies until the film was all used up. After that, they just toss it somewhere in the room.

Around 1 am, Sungmin got tired and decided to get some sleep. He still needed to retrieve his camera, so he went to check the room where the party was held. Everyone was passed out.

"That's weird." Sungmin mumbled to himself.

He walked around, trying to avoid clutters and people on the floor. When he spotted his camera on the couch, he had mixed emotions. He was relieved to see it in one piece, but was mad because they dared use it, when he doesn't even want anyone near it. He left the room immediately after getting the camera back.

 

One week later after the party, all those who attended the party were hospitalized. They were experiencing severe headache and loss of sight. Their suffering didn't last long because they all died not long after. Sungmin remembered the topic about the camera's curse. He really did not believed it, but he's having a change of heart. To make sure, he tried to develop the film himself. After the long and tedious process, he was able to see the people who used the camera- everyone who attended the party. He can't believe what he was seeing especially because there was a picture of Kyuhyun in a suit.

"He looks more hipster to me, but gosh he looks so hot in black and white."

 While Sungmin was forgetting his dead acquaintances and ogling on Kyuhyun's photo, something clicked on his mind.

"If this is Kyuhyun, then he must be- no way! He cannot be dead!"

Sungmin grabbed the camera and Kyuhyun's photo and went to the antique shop. It was 9 pm, just in time before they close.

"Hey you're back! Is there something wrong with the camera?" Kyuhyun greeted.

He was surprised to see Sungmin. He was about to close the shop, but he's willing to stay just to accommodate the other male. Sungmin didn't greeted back. Instead, he walked closer to Kyuhyun. When they were standing, facing each other, Sungmin pinched Kyuhyun on the cheek, hard.

"Ouch! What was that for?" Kyuhyun now rubbing the sore cheek.

"I didn't know dead could still feel pain."

"What are you talking about? Who is dead?" Kyuhyun started to feel weird about Sungmin.

"You." Sungmin pointed.

"ME?! Why would you want me dead?"

"Are you alive then?" Sungmin confirmed by placing his ears on Kyuhyun's chest. Yup! A great excuse to hug your crush and found out that his heart would beat erratically when you do it.

"Y-Yah... I told you already that really I'm alive." Kyuhyun doesn't know if he would mind their close proximity or not. Sungmin might be cute, but if he has some loose screw in the head, forget it.

"Just making sure. Anyway, how can you explain this." Sungmin showed the photo.

"Where did you get this?"

"I developed the film on the camera. Those bastards snatched it from me, used it without my permission, and now they are dead. If the curse was real, how come you're still alive?"

"This is my great-great uncle... so this is how he died."

"You mean that's not you?"

"I admit we do look like a lot. I'm just more handsome, but no, his name was Marcus, an engineer who wanted to invent battery-less camera. I don't know how he did it. I tried modifying it, but I don't have the right tool to open some parts of it."

"Why would you give it to me then? Do you want me to die?"

"You said you don't like taking pictures of human, I thought you could use the camera better than anyone. I'm sorry I didn't really believe the curse either."

"It's okay. I just feel guilty about the death of those people."

"I am just as guilty as you. We really cannot do anything about it anymore. We can't just tell them that a simple camera killed them."

"I guess so."

They were quiet for a while, trying to console themselves.

"Do you want to see my invention?" Kyuhyun suggested.

"You invent?" Sungmin beamed.

"Yeah. I actually love music, so I'm trying to create my own set of headphones and earphones."

"Really? Can I try them? I love music as well."

"Sure! It's in the basement. Let's go."

 

 

 

"Are you sure we could scare those two?" Donghae asked.

"They are in a dark place, doing things they are not supposed to do in public. If someone interrupted them, they would be surprised. If we would add your eyeless form, we could make them scream for sure!" Hyukjae explained.

They approached the two kissing guys and materialized their ghost forms.

"Boo!" They shouted at the same time.

"Who dared to stop us?" The smaller male said. All of the openings on his head- eyes, ears, nose and mouth, started bleeding when he turned to the two other ghosts.

"I don't wanna scare anymore. It's scary!" Donghae said while hugging an equally frightened Hyukjae.

"Min, don't mind them. They are just collecting screams." The lanky one said.

"But Kyu~ We were close beating the longest kissing record! We've been kissing for only 50 hours. We are 9 hours short." Sungmin whined.

"We could do it from the start again." Kyuhyun wiggled his eyebrows.

Sungmin latch himself on Kyuhyun, ready to kiss again. Before Kyuhyun connected their lips once more, he showed his bloody figure to frighten the two ghost away.

"Wait are you Cho Marcus? It's me Donghae! Your friend, remember?" All of Donghae's fear evaporated after seeing an old friend.

"I'm Kyuhyun, Marcus was my great-great uncle. Now excuse us." Kyuhyun started kissing Sungmin again.

"Wait... great-great uncle? How long have you been dead exactly?" Hyukjae asked.

"It's not easy to get scream, you know!" Donghae defended himself.

"But you look scarier than me. How else am I going to make anyone scream?"

 

 

 

a/n: I threw all the logic and law of physics writing this fic... XD