Scream - Eunhae

Dumb Ways To Die

It was a foggy and dark morning, and a lone figure was standing at the edge of an old bridge. Hyukjae tried to put on a straight face as he wipe his snotty nose with his left long-sleeve. On his right hand, he was holding his hand phone. Just minute earlier, that same phone was used to call his girlfriend, or rather, his ex-girlfriend. They broke up on the phone because the girl can't face him anymore.

He had his own business and was well off in life. He doesn't really have any vices and was a very good son. However, after he lost Choco, his precious dog, he started neglecting everything; his business, his health and those people around him. No, Choco did not die, she was just... lost. Since he neglected his business, now he doesn't have any source of income, making him penniless. His parents thought it was just part of his perfected April fool's plan, so they just "went with the flow" and did not worry. The break up was the last straw, and now he was decided to end his miserable life alone.

He closed his eyes and took a deep breath. When he opened it, he realized that he was so high up that he can't even see whether he's going to land on the water or on the ground. His knees started shaking. He tried to hold onto anything, but he can't find a sturdy handle. Suddenly, a pair of hands grabbed him from the back. He tried to look behind and saw a very effeminate man.

"Thank you. I don't know what came to my mind when I climbed here. I don't wanna die yet." Hyukjae shipishly said while showing his gummy smile.

"Do you wanna build a snowman?~" The man sing-sang

"Huh?"

"But there's no snow, so I guess I'll just Let. It. Go" That was the last words he heard because the man pushed him off the bridge.

"Ahhhhhh!" Hyukjae kept on screaming and flailing with closed eyes. It seemed like he really was on a very high bridge; he just kept falling down.

"Are you done screaming?" The voice asked him in an irritated note.

He stopped screaming and coughed wildly. Damn! Screaming could really damage your throat. Good thing he's already dead. Wait, what!? He looked around. He was in an ancient temple decorated with only red and black. In front of him a guy sitting on a throne displaying a very bored face. What caught his attention was the neon lights that says 'After Life,' since it doesn't really fit the scene.

"After... life?" He murmurmed.

"Yes. As you see, you are dead now, and you are under my mercy." The guy said while checking his nails. His voice sounded like a recording. Hyukjae thought that he probably says that a lot.

"W-Wait! You were that guy that pushed me off the bridge!" Hyukjae pointed accusingly.

"That's a nice name, but it's too long. Call me Heechul. I'm your Heenigami."

"Heenigami? Do you mean Shinigami? The Japanese death god?"

"Exactly! However, unlike normal Shinigami, I'm way more attractive and dangerous. Hence, I call myself a Heenigami."

"Anyway, why did you pushed me off the bridge? I just don't get you."

"About that, Choco, your dog, passed away this morning. She was eating a knife-shaped cardboard. The cardboard was coated with wet paint and ketchup. She died of poisoning."

"You have to kill me because my dog died?" Hyukjae felt more confused... and sad.

"Not really. There was nothing left on your life-time anyway. I just wanted to see you cry. You look funny. For the record, I was just trying to balance the earth. If you lived longer than that, more problem would occur."

"So this is it? What happen next? Can I see my dog?"

"Do I look like Google to you? One question at a time. First, this is not the end. You could actually choose your own ending. Second, you have to fill a certain scream quota, so you could go wherever you want. Third, it's totally up to you if you want to see your dog again. Just a warning, you could only decide one destination."

"Are you talking about heaven and hell?"

"Heaven, hell, resurrection, reincarnation, anything you like. But there's a certain price."

"Price?"

"The scream-quota. For animal heaven, you'll need about 500 screams."

"Does my last scream count? My throat still kinda hurt." Hyukjae asked while feeling his throat.

"Oh no. You need to scare people and make them scream."

 

Hyukjae was traveling around with his ghostly body, which looked like a wet monkey since he fell on the river when he died. By the time he went back, it was already night. There were no one near the bridge, so he decided to go elsewhere.

"Are you lost?" A voice from behind asked.

This was Hyukjae's chance! He didn't realize that making people scream would be this easy. He tried to suppress his gummy smile before turning around. He put on his most gloomy face.

"My dog. Have you seen my dog?" He asked in his most eerie voice.

"Ahhhh!" The stranger screamed. "Oh my gosh! Are you alright? I'm sorry, but I didn't see any dog. You're so wet. My place is just near. I can help you."He blabbered.

"Eh? No, I think I can manage on my own. I'll just look for my dog some place else." He did made this man scream, but Hyukjae doesn't really know what to do next.

"Wait! Did I scare you? I'm sorry. I just..." The stranger said almost crying. "I didn't mean to. I'm so sorry. Please let me help you find your dog."

Hyukjae felt guilty, but he cannot say that he was already dead and so his dog. Now he felt bad for using this guy as his first victim.

"You said you live near here. I could use some rest. It's already getting late."

"Sure! Uhm..."

"Oh. I'm Lee Hyukjae."

"Lee Donghae." They both shook hands. "Nice meeting you."

 

The boy-man named Donghae was leading him in an old apartment building in a secluded area.

"Are you sure this is where you leave?" Hyukjae asked.

He felt uncomfortable, but he realized he's already dead. It's just that, you can never tell that Donghae could stay in a rundown building, alone, far from the civilization. Okay, that was just exaggerating, but there's something Donghae was not telling him.

"Hey Donghae, can you hear me?" Hyukjae asked again.

Donghae picked up his pace to avoid answering Hyukjae. He also tried walking to a more darker area.

"Are you sure we're not lost? Are you even listening?" Hyukjae had enough and grabbed Donghae's shoulder to turn him around.

"I said can you- Ahhhhhh! You don't have eyes!"

"Yes! My first scream!" Donghae fisted on the air."

When Hyukjae realized what Donghae had said, he crossed his arms.

"Did you just used me to fulfill your scream quota?"

"How did you know?" Donghae asked while trying to locate Hyukjae.

'You can't see huh?' Hyukjae thought.

"W-What's that b-behind you?" Hyukjae asked.

"W--What? Y-Yah... don't scare me!" Donghae said while trying to turn around.

Hyukjae smacked him on the head.

"Ouch! What's that for? Can't you see I'm a ghost?"

"Exactly! Then what are you afraid of? You can't even see anything?"

"Hey you're right! How did I not think of that?... Wait. You're not afriad at all?" Donghae then returned to his "normal" self to look at Hyukjae.

"Too bad. I'm just a ghost like you."

"Does it mean your scream doesn't count? I'm back to nothing?" Donghae started crying.

"Oh man, 500 screams would take me forever in this case." Hyukjae groaned.

 

 

a/n: I don't know why I'm writing this anyway. XD