First Encounter

A Girl Who Reads

Library is the silent witness where Luhan met with this girl for the first time.


This time that girl was sitting quietly in her usual place. Her eyes couldn’t be separated from the book in her hand. She looked so lost in her own world—the world that he couldn’t see. World that exists only in her imagination, alone with her ​​book.

The world Luhan can’t even touch.

 

Luhan tried to remember the beginning of the story when he met a special girl who’s always going everywhere with book in her hands.

One moment, he’s being punished for not doing homework given to him the day before. Then, Yesung Songsaengnim ordered Luhan to go to the library because he was obliged to carry out scientific work instead. Luhan couldn’t do anything for this time, so finally he ended-up with moving his legs lazily towards the room full of dusty books with uninterested looks. While he was busy selecting books as reference material, his eyes suddenly locked with two beautiful eyes framed by glasses in the gap between the two books—right in the opposite rack from where he stood.
 

 

That girl was silent for a moment, she doesn’t seem to realize (or care?) with the presence of Luhan who was watching behind the book shelf. She immediately took the book she needed from rack and went passed from the presence of Luhan who was still rigidly silent.


His mind pictured perfectly a pair of two clear bright brown eyes that obstructed by glasses that framed her eyes.

Her eyes was shining brightly when she finally saw the cover of the book she needed. The imagination about her in his mind gradually made ​​him think that: he started going crazy. He hit his own forehead many times.


In fact, he did not even finish his task because he was too busy thinking about the girl he doesn’t even know her name .

And in the end , his teacher just scolded him in front of the class.

***

Today, he saw the girl again, she was sitting in a chair. Reading the book that she held tightly in her hands, as usual .


Without thinking, Luhan chose to sit next to her. The girl remained unmoved. Indifferent—like no matter the surrounding circumstances.

Luhan sighed. For some reason he felt a little nervous this time. Though he is a famous female idol throughout the school. He could attract the attention of anyone he wants!

But it seems an exception to this girl…


She is different from most of the girl who always screaming at the sight of the ball he kicked into a goal post, or those who always put the goods and chocolates and even love letters in his locker. This girl is cold. Unattainable. Untouched.

She was like having a wall between the real world and the world of her own.
 

This woman is different .
 

Luhan braced up himself to pat her shoulder. Very slowly, of course.
 

She looked unhappy. She tilted his head to glance, want to see who dared disturb her while she was reading a book. Her eyes met with both of Luhan’s eyes. She looks shocked. Then she distanced herself as much as possible from Luhan.

 

Same with her, he's surprised too.

Do I look like a monster in the novel that she read during this time, so that she looked very scared with me?

 

She looked so scared so Luhan tried to stifle a laugh and grin a little.


"Uh no, just relax. I’ll not bite you." Luhan smiled reassuringly. The girl was still not moving. She looked at him suspiciously.

"What is so exciting to read a book?” Luhan asked again after she did not respond to his words just now. His eyes looked at the books in the palm of her hand with the curious looks. "You’re just like living in your own world, i’m so curious. " Luhan end his sentence.

Moment of silence.

 

The girl was still remain silent. She directed her eyes to the name tag on the right side of the man's shirt. Written the name 'Xi Luhan' there. She tried to remember the name of the man in front of her. It seemed she ever occasionally heard that name because Luna mentioned it in one of their conversations.

But she wasn’t very serious giving attention to Luna that time because she was busy with the thoughts in her mind about what will going to happen with the storyline of the next chapter of fanfiction that she had just read.


Without realizing it, he had already reached out his hands. Sweet smile etched on his lips, charming smile from the school's idol.


The girl is finally realized.
 

Gosh , It’s Luhan!  A boy that well-known as one of the populars at the school .

I remember now .

 

"Greetings— " Luhan trying to read the name tags attached on the right side of her uniforms. "Ah.. Yoona -ssi. "


Yoona who had been silent, finally felt a little bit uncomfortable and chose to reply Luhan’s handshake. She tried to keep a distance thereafter. Yoona is not too fond of people like Luhan. Too popular. Surrounded by a lot of people. Too crowded and annoying. While she herself is the type of person who likes being alone.
 

The man smiled warmly, while all Yoona could do was nod her head awkwardly. Then she switched hands to fix her glasses that nearly fell. Voice in her mind was keep hoping maybe after this, Luhan will out from her sight soon. So she can go back to focus on reading again.
 

And when she had looked around, she realized, now all eyes in the room were on them.


Ugh. Great.


Yoona's face looked back at Luhan .

 

But ... If she can be honest ..

Good-looking boy in front of her was like reminding Yoona of the lead character in romance novels she had already read during this time.
 

He is (almost) perfect.