Love Someone Like You’re Eleven.

Love Stages.

“Can you believe it?”

Sehun cranes his neck to get a better view of Luhan from the other bed. Well, a better, upside down view of Luhan.

“What?”

Luhan pushes himself up and sits on his bed. “We’re finally done with elementary school!”

Sehun can only fake a smile and returns to stare at the ceiling. Sensing the lack of response from his best friend, Luhan throws a pillow at the other’s direction but misses. He grabs another pillow and hugs it instead, watching Sehun quietly for a few seconds before opening his mouth again.

“I’m not going to be away forever.”

“You’re still going away,” Sehun mumbles, lifting his head as he reaches up and clasps his hands behind the lower back of his head. “But it’s okay, I’m used to it.”

Luhan sighs. “We still have a month left. We can do anything you like together.”

Sehun smiles for real this time and rolls off his back. He throws his legs over the edge of the bed, facing his best friend. “The arcade?”

Luhan returns the smile. “And McDonalds.”

Then, at the same time, they exclaim, “Sleepovers!”

The duos laugh when Luhan decides to hop off his bed and tackles Sehun down onto his. They wrestle for a minute before Sehun pushes him away and they fall back in laughter.

“No one is going to sing me any Chinese songs again.”

“Eh! I’m just moving to another country, I’m not dying.” Luhan rolls his eyes and punches Sehun’s arm. “Mother said we can video call each other.”

“But you won’t be here to hit me anymore.”

Luhan turns his head to look at Sehun. “Isn’t that a good thing?”

Sehun turns his head as well, locking eyes with Luhan. “No. The pain reminds me that you’re here with me.”

“Is that all you’re going to remember about me? The pain I give you?”

Sehun shrugs. “It’s a good kind of pain.”

 

 

 

“When the night has come,”

“And the land is dark,”

“And the moon is the only light we’ll see,”

“SO DARLING DARLING STAND,” Sehun jumps in front of Luhan, “BY ME.”

Luhan frowns. “You just ruined the song.”

Sehun shrugs. “Just trying to point out the important part of the entire song.”

“Eh,” Luhan grabs Sehun by the shoulders and spins him around. They continue to walk to the playground. “Cause when you’re fifteen and somebody tells you they love you,”

“You’re gonna believe them,” Sehun continues the song mindlessly, kicking a pebble.

“And when you’re fifteen, feeling like there’s nothing to figure out.”

Sehun doesn’t continue so Luhan slaps his right arm and Sehun hisses as he glares at the taller boy. “Well, count to then, take it in,”

Luhan smiles in satisfaction. “This is life before you know who you’re gonna be.”

“Luhan, we’re not fifteen.”

“We will be!”

“Yeah, like in 4 years?”

“Time passes fast, Sehun!” Luhan chuckles and wraps his arms around Sehun, squeezing him tightly before letting go. “And before you know it, I’ll be back!”

Sehun nods solemnly. “Yeah…” He sings the last word of the chorus, “Fifteen.”

They proceed to walk in silence, not one of them belts out a random line from their favorite song. When the playground is within their range of vision, Sehun looks over at Luhan.

“Sing me a Chinese song.”

Luhan gives him an odd look. “The lullaby?”

“No. Something else.”

“But you won’t understand.”

Sehun shakes his head. “It’s okay. As long as you’re singing it.”

“Okay.”

“這些年一個人, 風也過, 雨也走。” All these years, alone. The wind has passed, the rain has gone.

“有過淚, 有過錯, 還記得堅持甚麽。” These were tears, there were wrongs. Things we hold dear I still recall.

Their eyes meet when Sehun turns to look at the boy who is fulfilling his request. Luhan is the first to smile. “真愛過才會懂, 會寂寞, 會回首。”

If you've had true love, then you would know. There is loneliness, there are goodbyes.

 

 

 

The day Sehun dreads the most has finally arrive and he’s standing in the center of the stage like an idiot, watching everyone giving his best friend a hug. Sehun huffs in annoyance, wanting Luhan all to himself even though he has hugged the taller boy to sleep last night.

Getting bored by the second, he takes his square academic cap off and sits on the edge of the stage, putting his yearbook down.

He stares silently as Luhan smiles at their classmates and adults who are just mesmerized by the kid’s adorableness. Luhan has always been the center of attention, he’s used to that, even Sehun is used to that. Sehun hates sharing, but when it comes to Luhan, he shares everything with that boy.

Sehun isn’t sure if he likes the idea of sharing Luhan with anyone.

But Luhan isn’t his.

“Sehun!” said boy blinks in daze and looks up at the person calling him. “Why did you take off the cap?” Luhan grabs the cap left aside by his best friend and puts it back onto Sehun’s head. “You look handsome in it!”

Sehun smiles. “You too.”

“You’re lying,” Luhan pouts, adjusting his cap. “It’s too big for my head, it keeps slipping down. I almost can’t see anything!” Sehun doesn’t say anything and Luhan continues, “I panicked because I couldn’t see you.”

“Better get used to it,” Sehun mutters and Luhan frowns at the reply. He hits Sehun again, as usual. “What?”

“Stop being bitter!” Luhan snaps and grabs Sehun’s hand, pulling him off the stage. “Come on! We’re going to have our group shot soon!”

Luhan drags the reluctant Sehun to the crowd and soon enough, they’re called to stand in lines to get their group picture taken. Everyone is asked to stand according to height but Luhan doesn’t want to be separated with Sehun so he bends his knees a little, taking his place behind his best friend. They soon take their place, some sitting and some standing behind the seated ones. Luck isn’t on Luhan’s side that day because the photographer orders him to stand instead and Luhan unwillingly drags himself to the back. Quick enough, Luhan squeezes into the middle, standing behind Sehun’s chair.

“Ready! 3, 2, 1.” The camera clicks. The photographer takes a look at the picture and smiles. “Alright! Now do a random pose everybody!”

Sehun holds up a peace sign, remembering what he promised Luhan last night. Sehun tries really hard to look happy.

“3,” Luhan chuckles at the sight of Sehun’s retarded peace sign. “2,” Luhan looks up and smiles. “1,” Luhan wraps two arms around Sehun’s neck, surprising Sehun in the process and-- click.

“Okay! That’s all for today!” the photographer announces and everyone cheers, throwing their square academic caps all over the place.

Sehun is about to get up when Luhan plops himself down onto the chair next to Sehun. “Did you smile?”

“I did, until you—“

Luhan chuckles. “Can’t wait for the picture to come out. Oh!” Luhan holds his yearbook out. “Please sign it!”

Sehun takes it and flips to the back page.

“No! Don’t sign there,” Luhan shrieks, taking it back. His eyebrows scrunch up as he flips the book.

“But there’s—“

“You’re special,” Luhan says and presents the book back to his best friend. “You sign here.” Sehun looks at where Luhan is pointing. “Here.”

Sehun frowns. “Luhan, this is a page dedicated to you.”

“So?” Luhan questions. “Hurry, sign.” He hands over his pink pen.

Rolling his eyes, Sehun grabs the pen and signs it anyway. “Oh,” he realizes something and hands his yearbook over too. Luhan pulls out another pink pen from his pocket. “You can sign wherever you want. I’m not letting anyone sign my book.”

“Meanie,” Luhan remarks with a soft giggle. “I’m gonna sign on your face.”

When they’re done, they exchange yearbooks and look down at their own.

Luhan smiles, tracing Sehun’s neat handwriting. “Please come back soon. Don’t grow anymore.” The taller boy laughs and looks up at his best friend. “Shortie.”

Sehun huffs, kicking his legs playfully. “I’ll grow taller!”

“If I listen to you… if I return fast and if I don’t grow taller, what about you, Sehunnie? Are you going to do what I say too?”

Sehun looks down at the page again and reads Luhan’s message in pink. He thinks for a moment before lifting his head and looks at Luhan again. “Yeah, I’ll be a happy kid.”

Luhan smiles at that. “Good.”

 

 

 

At the age of 11, Sehun wants to be whatever Luhan wants him to be.

 

 

 

Lyrics from

1) Stand By Me - Ben E King

2) Fifteen - Taylor Swift

3) 朋友 (Friends) - 周華健 (Emil Wakin Chau)