Love Someone Like You’re Six.

Love Stages.

Sehun remains stiff on the ground, unable to move until his mother gives him a gentle push and even then, he freezes at one spot. He’s shivering and he swears the building in front of him is growing bigger and bigger. He gulps. He hates this place.

“Sehun-ah,” he hears his mother’s voice loud and clear. She steps to his front and kneels down, placing her soft, warm hands on his shoulders. “Sehun-ah, this is your new school.”

Sehun shakes his head. “I don’t want to go to a new school. I want my old school. I want Jongdae.”

His mother only smiles and pats his cheek gently. “I’m sorry, I know this must be hard on you but I promise we’ll visit Jongdae someday?”

“Jongdae is my only friend,” Sehun mumbles, hugging his stuffed bunny closer to his chest. “Now, Sehun has no friend.”

“You’ll make a new one,” she pinches his cheek and he pouts. “Maybe even more.”

Sehun doubts so but he doesn’t say anything. Seeing how Sehun has stopped talking, Taeyeon ruffles her son’s hair and gets back up. She reaches her right hand out, waiting for Sehun to hold it and he does. “You’ll love it here.”

Taeyeon drags her reluctant son into the small building and when she turns around to check on her son, she notices how he’s just staring ahead. Her eyebrows furrow and she directs her gaze to where her son is focusing. A smirk makes its way onto her lips.

“Go say hi.”

 

 

 

Sehun is nervous. He is shaking but this time, it’s entirely different. He scans the room, rubbing his feet together as he tries not to stare at the boy playing at the corner. His mother has left him to have a talk with his teacher and Sehun really wants her to be back as soon as possible.

He takes a quick glance at the boy and looks away.

“Go say hi,” he whispers to himself but he doesn’t move at all. It took him almost a month to say hi to Jongdae and that was a month after Jongdae said hi. “Go say hi,” he repeats.

“Hi!”

Sehun falls on his bum, clutching his stuffed bunny for his dear life. He blinks as the boy before him glows in the most beautiful light he has ever seen. Gosh, he’s fast. He was at the corner a minute ago. And gosh, he’s pretty.

“Sorry!” the boy says, offering Sehun a helping hand. His hand, Sehun says inwardly, staring at the boy’s little fingers. “Here,” the boy squats down to grab Sehun’s hand instead and pulls him up. “Why were you talking to yourself?”

“I—“ Sehun feels his cheeks burning. He forgets how to speak so he ends up staring at the boy’s huge eyes.

The boy doesn’t say anything too and suddenly, Sehun knows he blew the opportunity to be friends with this pretty boy. He knows this all too well; he at making friends. Jongdae was his only friend.

Instead of giving him the weird look, the boy smiles and Sehun’s eyes widen. “We’re going to be best friends.”

Best friends. He said best friends. “O-okay.”

“But you have to tell me your name first,” the boy gives Sehun a cheeky grin and nudges Sehun’s arm with his elbow, “best friend.”

“S-Sehun,” Sehun stutters. “Everybody calls me Sehun.”

The pretty boy giggles. “Luhan,” he says, “everybody calls me Luhan.”

That evening when his father picks him up and asks about his day, Sehun doesn’t say anything but only smile. His father chuckles and ruffles his hair, making Sehun extra happy inside.

“That good, huh?” his father asks and Sehun nods his head.

When they reach home, he runs into his bedroom straight and pulls out a book he hides underneath his pillow. He sets the book on the floor and grabs his crayons before sitting down.

“I have a new friend,” he starts drawing on the book, tongue poking out between his lips. “No, a new best friend. His name is Luhan.”

When he’s done, he stares at his drawing with a satisfied smile. Sehun leans down again to write Luhan’s name but he realizes that he doesn’t know how to write the pretty boy’s name.

He draws a heart instead.

 

 

 

Luhan was right; they turn out to be inseparable duos. Sehun follows obediently as Luhan guides him everywhere around the round and listens quietly as Luhan tells him stories even when they don’t make sense. When Luhan is happy, Sehun is there to see him smile the biggest smile and when Luhan is sad, Sehun is there to cry first because he’s just that emotional. Luhan calls him silly, giggles as tears threaten to fall but he doesn’t cry and hugs Sehun instead. They end up falling asleep in each other’s arm, tangled up together until Luhan’s mother is here to pick Luhan up. When Sehun opens his eyes, Luhan is no longer there. He feels like crying again but his mother comes on time and so, he doesn’t.

Everyday, Sehun remembers to bring something to share with Luhan. The first day of the second week, he brings a bag full of his favorite candies and they eat them secretly because they’re not allowed to have more than one candy per day. When it is naptime, all the other kids are sleeping while Sehun and Luhan have a hard time falling asleep. It doesn’t matter anyway because Sehun gets to hear Luhan sing the most beautiful lullaby. It’s in Chinese and Sehun doesn’t understand a single word but Luhan’s amazing voice is all that matters. The next day, Sehun brings his favorite toy car and shows it to Luhan. Luhan’s eyes sparkle when he holds the toy car for the first time and even though Sehun doesn’t let anyone touch his toy car because he’s afraid they will spoil it, Luhan is an exception. Luhan never had a toy car and he tells Sehun about his mother wanting a daughter, having bought all the baby girls stuffs. Luhan laughs when he talks about his baby pictures, how he’s in dresses and pink socks. Sehun thinks it’s the most adorable thing ever.

It isn’t long until Sehun has the courage to take his drawing book out of his room and bring it to show his best friend. Luhan bounces in his seat while Sehun carefully pulls the book out of his little Mickey Mouse bag.

“What is it, Sehun?”

Sehun quickly places it in front of Luhan. “Open it.”

Luhan does as what he is told and flips through the pages. “Wow.”

“I-I like drawing and I draw anything I like.”

Luhan smiles at the explanation and continues flipping the pages when he stops at a particular page. “That’s me!”

Sehun blushes instantly. “Y-yeah. I drew that the first day we met.”

Luhan gives Sehun a sweet smile and flips the page again. “Oh! That’s me again.”

Sehun blushes even more and nods.

He flips the page once more. “And me.” Flips. “And me.” Flips. “And me.” He laughs and looks up at Sehun. “That’s you drawing.”

Sehun nods. “Drawing you.”

Luhan flips through the entire book and when he is met with empty pages, he closes the book gently and stands up to give Sehun a hug. “Thank you.”

The next day, it’s Sehun’s turn to fidget in his seat while Luhan pulls out a thicker book from his Hello Kitty bag. Sehun gapes at it. “What’s that?”

Luhan slides it closer to Sehun. “Open it!”

Sehun nods and places a hand on the hard cover when Luhan puts his hand above Sehun’s.

“But you have to promise to not tell anyone!” Luhan says and leans closer. “It’s a secret! No one can know except you!”

Sehun gulps, not tearing his eyes away from Luhan’s. He nods again.

“You promise?”

“I promise,” Sehun whispers and Luhan lets go of his hand with a satisfied grin.

“Go on!”

Sehun nods his head once more and turns back to the book. There are unknown words on the front cover and he carefully flips it over. Every page after that is filled with beautiful pictures of weddings. There are flowers, cakes, tuxedos and wedding gowns. Then, he stops at a page with a torn picture of a woman in her wedding dress. He traces the edges carefully.

“That’s my mother,” Luhan says and Sehun looks away from the book to pay attention to Luhan. “I don’t know where my father is and she never speaks about him, but doesn’t she look happy in this picture?”

Sehun looks back at the picture. “Yeah.”

Luhan stares at it as well. “She’s very beautiful. She still is. Hurry, turn the page!”

Sehun listens to Luhan and flips to another page. The page is looking at now has two stick figures, poorly drawn with crayons but Sehun knows it’s a picture of a guy and a girl. The girl doesn’t have anything on and only has an oval shaped head with no face. The guy on the other hand, has a picture of a tuxedo glued onto his stick body and for his face, a cut out of Luhan’s face.

“That’s me and my future wife!” Luhan says excitedly. “I don’t know how she will look yet but she will be very beautiful and then she gets to choose what she wants to wear for our wedding!”

Sehun can only smile awkwardly. “This is very nice.”

Luhan nods. “I know, right? And only you get to see it! Consider yourself very special, Sehun!”

Sehun gives Luhan another smile before shifting his gaze back to the page. He stares at the faceless girl and imagines his face being there instead.

 

 

 

At the age of 6, Sehun wants to be Luhan’s bride.

 

 

#notatopluhanficthatisall