"Birthday Discussion"

Hybrid Sanctuary

*Sigh* Next Monday (a week from today: December 5th to be exact) is my 23rd birthday, and due to a hefty inheritance from my father, I'm at a loss as to what I want. I already have everything I could possibly desire! An endless supply of money (I'm a billionaire), a big and spacious house (a mansion actually), tons of clothes, and countless amounts of shoes. So what am I suppose to tell my best friend tomorrow? Sam comes around this time every year to chat with me about my birthday wishes. He believes it'a important to spend time with people on their 'special' day (which is why he comes instead of just calling) and to drag people to find that perfect something (instead of just sending a random gift in the mail). We've been doing this routine since middle school, so I don't want to disappoint him by drawing a blank! But SERIOUSLY! I can't think of a thing... Maybe I'll just blurt out the first thing that comes to mind when he asks THE question...
 
              "You should get a pet" Sam deadpanned, as we sat around my kitchen counter drinking cocoa (another pre-birthday tradition). "E-excuse me?" I sputtered, choking on my beverage, which led to me basically hacking out a lung. When the coughing subsided, I looked up expectantly at Sam, waiting for him to repeat himself. "Get-A-Pet" he enunciated slowly, "you live in this big mansion all alone, and frankly, that worries me. What if some burglar or murderer breaks in? You'd be completely defenseless and then dead! I don't want to lose you, so you need some 24/7 protection. I'd tell you to find yourself a man, but you're too socially awkward, so a pet is the next best thing! Preferably a big guard dog." "So what if I'm alone? Maybe I like it this way, I mean, I've been taking care of myself for 6 years now. I'll be fine, so quit your worrying!" I definitely wasn't expecting to have THIS conversation today... "See, this is exactly what I'm worried about! You're WAY to comfortable with your loneliness! Always expect the unexpected and don't get too comfortable with life. If you do, it'll throw you into a loop and crush your calm. Not only that, but you may become one of those loony hermits who are convinced inanimate objects are their only friends. I can't let that happen to you!!" Sam yelled as he shook me, violently, by the shoulders. "SAM!" I screeched, snapping him out of his meltdown, "that isn't going to happen so stop being a drama queen. Don't worry, I'll never replace you with a rock" I joked. "Seriously though, I can't get a pet. I'd be too afraid of doing something wrong. What if it was thirsty and I put it outside thinking it needed to pee? The poor little creature would die of dehydration! What if it got sick? I wouldn't know cause I don't speak animal. No, there's too much of a communication issue for me to get a pet." Sam stared thoughtfully at me, fingers pinching his bottom lip in concentration. After what felt like an eternity of squirming under his piercing stare, he finally spoke, but what he suggested left me speechless. "Buy a hybrid." A hybrid? He wants me to buy a slave? 'Cause if we're being completely honest here, that's what most hybrid businesses sell them for, slavery. Keeping slaves is WRONG, so I can't believe her suggest such a thing! "I know what you're thinking, and before you go off on a rampage, just think about it for a second. You'd be fulfilling my wish of companionship for you! Not only that, but since your against slavery, you'd be saving some lucky hybrid from a lifetime of horrors. Just free it after purchase!" Well, when he puts it THAT way, it does seem like the perfect choice. Buying a hybrid means i'll be helping myself and someone else... But it'll also be weird having another living creature, besides myself, to take care of. It'd completely change the life I've gotten used to... Is it worth it? "I'll have to think abut it" I stated, earning a nod of understanding. "Okay, but remember, the boyfriend option is still open" he commented, wiggling his eyebrows. Arg! Just 'cause he's happily married, doesn't mean he needs to concern himself over MY love life! 
 
                                   -Friday-
 
I can't believe I'm actually going through with this! Taking in another living creature is a HUGE responsibility, but if it gets Sam off my back, I'll do it. There's now way I'm going to 'find a man' to appease him. Quietly, I followed the shop owner down a grimy, dimly lit hallway. Shuddering in disgust, I cringed away from the random piles of garbage and dirt that seem to be littering the corridor. I can't even begin to imagine what kind of creepy crawlers are inhabiting the rotten heaps of trash. The odor that permeated the tight corridor made my eyes water and had me gagging on air. Just as I was about to call it quits and run out if the building shrieking like a banshee, we arrived at the hybrid holding cell. Taking a calming breath (through my mouth 'cause I'm not smelling that stench again), I stepped into the room to begin the choosing process. One glance around the room had my chest thumping painfully. Out of the nine hybrids the store possessed, only one wasn't cowering in the corner of its cage. All of them appeared to be males and looked as if they haven't eaten a proper meal in weeks, bones prominent all along their bodies. Clothing hung in shreds loosely along their slight skeleton-like frames, showing off various scars and bruises covering the surface of their skin. One of the poor creatures looked close to death, slumped in the corner of his cage sporting a pale parlor. While I was observing the condition of each poor soul, the store owner explained to me that there were 4 'exotic creatures' and 5 'normal' hybrids. Apparently, all are well-behaved and will listen to my every command. Ignoring his useless information, I kneeled down in front of the first cage to my right. Inside the metal contraption cowered a wide-eyed bunny. Shaking in fear, he sat scrunched up in the farthest corner, arms wrapped around his legs protectively. "Hey little fella" I cooed soothingly, "what's your name?" When he didn't answer, the store owner bashed his door in warning, causing the bunny-boy to drop his ears in fright. "K-k-kyung-g-soo" he stuttered in a quiet voice. "Well, I'll leave you here to make your choice. And remember, if decide hybrids aren't for you, I have an extensive selection of common household pets on the other side of the store." With that said, the owner turned and waddled his way back to the front desk. I openly glared at his retreating figure for a while, contemplating murder. When he was no longer in sight, I schooled my features to a look of kindness before turning back to Kyungsoo. To my complete surprise, I found him pressed up against the bars of his cage directly in front of me, hope shining from his eyes. Smiling at his hopeful expression, I bent closer, "so Kyungsoo, how would you like to come home with me?" Instantly, he nodded violently, causing me to giggle at his eager adorableness. "Okay" I cooed while ruffling his hair through the bars of his cage. Slowly, I stood and made my way down the row of cages, glancing at the names on the doors. 'Xuimin the Hamster... Luhan the deer... Baekhyun and Chen: Cats... Panda Tao... Suho the Merman... Kai: Panther...' Finally, I stopped at the last cage. This one contained the half-dead hybrid I was observing earlier. Looking at the nameplate, I gasped in shock, 'Kris: Lizard'. No wonder he dying! It's too cold down here for a reptile! Taking one last look around, I marched to the front desk in determination. "Well, hello again customer! Did you make a decision?" Nodding in confirmation, I leaned in closer to the tubby owner, "I want to purchase ALL of your hybrids." 

 

Haha, first chapter posted!! I thank you my wonderful subscribers ^_^ Hopefully this didn't disappoint everyone. The next chapter is completed, but I'm going to way to post it til I get some feedback. So comment and subscribe if the story seems interesting to you!!