Business

Bound

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 34 :Business

 

“Are you still mad at me?” Myungsoo asked, his eyes darted towards her as they made the ascent up to the abbey.

“No. Not anymore. I'm more worried about how I won't trip in this dress.”

“Always one for clever snipes, Naeun.” He tutted.

“You are at no liberty to comment. Guys have it easy and just look at me!”

“You're beautiful. As always. I'm surprised you were still single when I met you.” He laughed, taking her hand and kissing it. As if it could reassure her.

Maybe it did a bit. Just a bit.

But she still huffed and adjusted her skirt. The dress was intricately designed and she was afraid that it would tear being worn by someone as clumsy as herself. It was an exquisite creation of gold brocade, lace, embroidery and cream chiffon artfully draped and tucked like a mermaid's tail at the bottom. She wore no jewellery except for the teardrop pearl earrings Chorong had given her. Though she was hesitant at first to wear them , they were after all,  a gift and they suited the dress so well. Maybe she could forget the intentions behind it for one night.

Maybe she could forget everything for one night.

 

Naeun relaxed visibly, letting her rigid posture drop and her hands unclenched. Instead her hands naturally entwined with Myungsoo's.

“You're more handsome than usual tonight too.” She complimented him softly, though she did not look at him so blatantly. Myungsoo wore a classic suit, with a cream coloured bow tie matched the fabric of her dress, the pocket square neatly stuck in his front pocket was embroidered with glittering laurel leaves that looked like the ones she woven in her hair.

“Thank you. Eunji picked my suit as well, to compliment your dress.”

Naeun chewed on her lip. Shouldn't she be the one to match him?

He frowned and touched her shoulder. 
“I know… I'm frivolous and a terrible boyfriend for splurging uncontrollably for you. But I love you. Besides, you spend money on me too.” He shrugged.

“I'm sorry. For saying what I said earlier.”

“We can't always have the same opinion, mon coeur. What relationship would that be?”

“I know. I just- I don't deserve this. Any of it.” She gestured towards the dress.

“You deserve everything, Naeun. You deserve more than what I can offer. You deserve a life of ease and luxury.” He pinched her chin in between his thumb and forefinger, tilting her face towards him.

So lovely. So beautiful.

 

“I would very much rather have you.” Naeun smiled, meeting his lips in a chaste kiss.

“You already have me.” He answered, tugging her towards the abbey.

 


 

When they stepped into the large space, the place was alight by chandeliers. There were large vases of flowers, plumes of feathers and cornucopias spilling with shiny fruits under the dark walls.

A long table was set for a banquet in complete silverware, with white swan napkins and crystal wine glasses all polished to a shine.

They were ushered to a seat on the left side near the head of the table and Myungsoo composed himself. There was an elderly British gentleman to his left and a Chinese diplomat in front of him. The three seem to be engaged in a heated discussion over new tax rulings and Naeun kept quiet by his side, quietly glancing at the people around her.

A pair of brown eyes flashed at her but they disappeared quickly in the din of the room. Those eyes. They were oddly familiar. Hauntingly familiar.

She shook her head and stared down, memorising her place setting to get her mind of how unfitting she felt. Myungsoo squeezed her hand.

“Are you alright?” Myungsoo leaned in to whisper in her ear.

She nodded and just in time a seemingly important person clinked a glass to call everyone's attention.

The man's speech was short, thanking everyone for coming and how honoured he felt that many global economic leaders were gathered to pursue a joint effort to better the world. Or at least… something along those lines.

 

“What is the project?” Naeun whispered to Myungsoo.

“It's a lot of projects really- an animal conservation park in Uganda, wartime relief for the middle east, negotiation and dialogue campaigns involving the UN and NATO, orphanages, cancer research. ”

“Wow, that's a lot. Is the Kim corporation heavily involved?”

“We are this year. My mom and Woohyun have been making a lot of effort to give back to the community. My mother wasn't born to a rich family and you can say Woohyun has always been the most compassionate of us brothers, especially since he met Chorong.”

“You're compassionate too, Myungsoo.”

“Ah… I'm not that good.” He shook his head shyly. The starter was served shortly and the main course followed suit. Naeun ate quietly, trying her best to appear as demure as possible though all she wanted to do was stab the meat with her knife. Myungsoo noticed and snickered next to her.

When the other room opened up, Naeun waited patiently as Myungsoo put on a practised charming smile as he was patted on the back by men and fawned over as the youngest Kim by the elders. Naeun kept steadfastly at his side when the ladies started to approach him, she glared at many who tried their very best to ‘subtly’ flirt with him.

 

“Smile. You look like you want to kill everyone.”

“I wish.”

“I think it's cute that you're threatened.” He smirked, leaning in and pulling her close.

“I do not feel threatened.” She hissed under her breath.

“Dance with me.” He pulled her to the dance floor.

“Why?” She protested.

“Because you want to.” He smirked, knowing her well. She blushed at the thought of them dancing on the balcony on his birthday and let him drag her.

He rested his hands on her waist and she followed his lead, falling into the slow pattern of the dance.

 

“I miss it so much. Dancing. But I like this more. Dancing with you, it's a whole other feeling.”

“I avoided all the events… I hated it, to be honest. It was just another way for the rich to brag. And I was never an important part of the family for it to be compulsory.”

“You're very important, Kim Myungsoo. More than you know it. I'm sure your family thinks so too. Every member is important in a family.” She smiled up to him and he kissed her hand.

“You would be the best mother ever.”

“Aniya. Your mother raised you well.”

“Ah really… I don't see myself with anyone else in the future.”

“So confident.” She chuckled, slapping his arm playfully. She naturally leaned her head against his shoulder, laughing slightly and flushing pink. Myungsoo couldn't help but laugh with her. But she immediately composed herself.

 

“They're staring.”

“Because you are beautiful when you laugh. And when you smile. And when you breathe.” He grinned and twirled her around.

“Myungsoo!” She squealed, looking like a picture perfect doll, her dress beautifully catching the light.

“Don't do that! People are staring.” She said seriously , though she was still laughing.

“Let them. So they're jealous of us.” He whispered in her ear, gently pressing his cheek to hers as they waltz into a new song.

“Why would they be?”

“Because don't think I didn't glare at all the guys that stared at you to.” His voice lowered only for her ears and she felt him smile tightly.

“You're cute when you're threatened.” She said, pulling away from him as the song faded.

 

“Myungsoo! It's been a while since I've seen you!” An man with grey eyes and greying hair greeted him in french with a slight Belgian accent.

“Good evening, Mr Rosseau, yes perhaps it's been awhile.” He put on that charming smile again that made Naeun want to roll her eyes. But she didn't. Instead she played the perfect role of the compliant and timid plus one.

“Send my regards to Lee Howon too, he's quite popular with my daughters. They seem to adore him. And of course you to.” Eunji would scoff at that.

“Is he now?” Naeun's interest piqued and Mr Rosseau laughed heartily.

“Don't worry yourself dear, my daughters are barely in high school.” A lady spoke, linking arms with Mr Rosseau, who she assumed was Mrs Rosseau.

“Oh umm, sorry. Pleasure to meet you.” She bowed slightly, a rosy colour dusting her cheeks, seeing how flustered she was. Myungsoo smiled and patted her head affectionately.

“You two look so well together. Don't you think so, Horace?” She turned towards her husband.

“They certainly do make a handsome couple, a very striking pair indeed.” He nodded.

“I have to go to the comfort room.” Naeun ducked under her hair in embarrassment and slipped away from him, fanning her red face.