Winter

Hoarfrost

Winter- 

 

It was a few weeks before Chanyeol and Yixing's performance and Baekhyun had stopped going to their rehearsals entirely. It wasn't that Baekhyun no longer wanted to support Chanyeol, it was just that they didn't have fixed times to practice anymore. Now, they were snatching up every moment the practice room or theatre was free. Baekhyun had stopped texting Chanyeol to ask where they were practicing and he had stopped lying on their bed, letting himself fall asleep to the smell of Chanyeol's shirt when practice ended late.

 

Chanyeol was the one who had suggested they have a full- dress rehearsal for fun, even if their performance outfits only consisted of ironed button ups and fitting slacks. He thought it'd be fun. So when Chanyeol arrived early and sat on the stool, patiently waiting for Yixing to appear, he had to be honest to himself and admit that he had not expected Yixing to comply with his request. Chanyeol himself had asked Baekhyun to pick out the best button up he had and to pair it with the slacks he thought fit best. Then he had squeezed Baekhyun's arm before he kissed his temple and left.

 

Now, they were up on the stage and Chanyeol couldn't stop smiling whenever his and Yixing's eyes met. 

 

Baekhyun bought the tickets at the small booth outside and grinned as Kris slapped the hand holding his wallet away and paid for both of their tickets. Kris draped his arm over Baekhyun's shoulder, squeezing it as they walked away from the booth.

 

They both arrived at their doorstep at the same time. Baekhyun smiled at Chanyeol as the taller reached out to unlock the door first. Before they stepped inside, Chanyeol bent a little to peck Baekhyun's temple. They went their own ways as soon as they stepped in, Baekhyun heading to the kitchen and Chanyeol plopping onto the couch and taking out his phone. Their shared dorm room was quiet as Baekhyun silently moved back and forth in the kitchen and Chanyeol tapped away on his phone.

 

They were one of the first to perform during the performance night. Baekhyun stood beside Chanyeol, occasionally glancing up at his boyfriend who occasionally glanced at Yixing. Baekhyun tugged on Chanyeol's hand as he wished him luck. Chanyeol gripped onto Baekhyun's hand tightly before he let go and Baekhyun walked away without either of them looking back.

Baekhyun smiled as he sat down next Kris, who smiled back and placed a hand lightly on the small of Baekhyun's back. They settled down as the lights dimmed and they both leaned towards each other as they shared idle chatter. Baekhyun noted the excited, wide- eyed, look Kris was sporting as they continued to talk, his hand flying up to pat or grip onto Baekhyun's forearm more than once.

When Chanyeol and Yixing got on stage, they linked their hands as they walked. They bowed to the crowd before they retreated back to their stools. Adjusting the microphones, they disconnected their hands as they glanced at the crowd and started playing. 

Kris watched Baekhyun as he watched almost in awe at his boyfriend and Yixing on stage. The lights of the stage illuminated his features and his lips were parted slightly as he sang along quietly. Kris kept watching Baekhyun, the performance almost falling on deaf ears. Almost because the only thing he could hear was Baekhyun singing quietly. 

Chanyeol and Yixing were not looking at the audience like how they had planned. Instead, Chanyeol couldn't seem to find the will to tear his eyes away from Yixing. They were smiling at each other, their eyes sparkling from the stage lights. They had practiced the song a thousand times and their fingers flew on autopilot as they focused on each other.

Baekhyun smiled and stopped singing as he watched Chanyeol perform, the crinkles in his eyes never disappearing and the grin he wore only becoming wider. Kris dropped a hand on top of Baekhyun's.

Performance night ended happily, with everyone who attended satisfied. Kris and Baekhyun exited the theatre later than everyone else. At the back of his mind, Baekhyun thought about going backstage to congratulate Yixing and Chanyeol but as Kris continued to share his thoughts about the night, Baekhyun thought that perhaps it would be better if he did not go.

 

Back stage, Chanyeol and Yixing were busy helping clean up after they'd put their equipment back in their rightful places. Soon, everyone had cleared out and only a few lingering students on the catwalk fooling around with the stage lights were left. Chanyeol slung his guitar over his back as usual while he waited for Yixing to finish up putting away the microphones in the supply cupboard. When Yixing turned around, he smiled widely, and congratulated Chanyeol on their smooth performance. Chanyeol stood only a few inches away from Yixing.

Without waiting for Yixing to finish his sentence so Chanyeol could congratulate him right back, he leaned in, and with both hands awkwardly hanging by his sides, and kissed Yixing gently. Not so surprisingly, Yixing returned the kiss and draped a casual hand over Chanyeol's neck who drew him closer with his hands on Yixing's hips.

 

Kris had invited Baekhyun into the dorm he had to himself. And as Baekhyun sat on the counter with his knees drawn up to his chest, Kris smiled a gummy smile before he leaned in to peck him on the cheek lightly. Baekhyun flinched, but Kris only smiled slightly before he went to get them some coffee. Baekhyun listened to the clinking of mugs and thought about Chanyeol's soft lips and Kris's slightly chapped lips. Were Chanyeol's lips even soft anymore? When was the last time they really kissed? He thought about the peck Chanyeol  had left on his cheek, the soft touch he had left in his heart.

When Kris returned several minutes later, he leaned forward to place Baekhyun's mug onto the counter beside Baekhyun. Then he leaned onto the edge of the counter with a hand supporting him and the other holding his own mug. Baekhyun watched as Kris blew onto his mug softly, watching the steam dissipate. Baekhyun drew his hands up from where they rested on the counter and held Kris's face softly. Kris watched with a blank face, his lips still parted from when he was cooling his mug. Baekhyun leaned in to kiss him and Kris placed the mug back onto the counter as he used his now- free hand to trap Baekhyun to the counter.