Spring

Hoarfrost

The four seasons all have some date they start at but none of them ever start or end as scheduled. Baekhyun idly blew out a sigh towards the frosted window pane. Flurries of snow still flitted past the window.

 

Spring-

Baekhyun smiled at Chanyeol. He was currently on stage, singing with their mutual friend, Yixing. They were practicing for the school's performance night. Baekhyun was seated at the piano bench, placed a little to the left of the stage. Their voices worked in harmony and Baekhyun wasn't sure if he loved anything more than Chanyeol's voice or the gentle strumming of his fingers on the guitar.

When they finished practicing- they only booked the hall for a proper rehearsal for 2 hours- Chanyeol shared a goodbye hug with Yixing before he linked hands with Baekhyun. He sighed contently, that full, heart- about- to- burst type of feeling he got in his chest was his favorite feeling. He always felt it when Chanyeol was near and he was 100% positive it was love. 

 

They had planned to order takeout and just lie around, enjoying each other's company. Baekhyun had begun to hate spending noisy nights out, to dislike nights that weren't quiet and that were without Chanyeol. Perhaps he was obsessed, too attached to Chanyeol. It was a thought that occasionally crossed his mind. 

As Chanyeol began to nod off, his head lolling around to rest lightly on Baekhyun's chest, he ran his fingers through Chanyeol's short hair. They had dyed it together, very unprofessionally, in the bathroom of their dorm. Chanyeol's was a dark earth color while Baekhyun had gotten something lighter, it was almost golden. Surprisingly, their amateur dye jobs had come out perfect. Chanyeol began to snore softly.

They had met at the school cafe, on one of those rare days where the cafe was almost empty. Baekhyun usually had to share a table with some stranger, which he didn't mind at all; half of his friends had come about from the result of table sharing. And he had seen Chanyeol sitting at a table right at the back, squeezed between the window and a table full of rambunctious freshmen. He later learned that Chanyeol had been writing music. 

His face had been the definition of concentration and although there had been a dozen free tables around, Baekhyun had ordered a cup of cafe au lait and sat in the seat opposite. Then he had asked for his name. Chanyeol had black hair then, and he was wearing a scruffy looking hoodie and torn jeans. This was last autumn. 

Baekhyun let himself lose his train of thought as he thought about how much he loved Chanyeol, allowing himself to drown in the heart- bursting feeling, the warmth and smell of Chanyeol.

 

They had woken up cold, and Baekhyun was the first to wake. But as he moved, his hand fell from where it had rested on Chanyeol's nape last night and down his back, successfully rousing his sleeping partner. The smell of sleep was thick and Baekhyun swore he could still see a hint of hoarfrost on the windows although they were well into the middle of spring now. 

Baekhyun had prepared breakfast for them as they separated ways, Chanyeol heading first for the bathroom. Baekhyun made toast and eggs, with a side of milk and juice, settling on a traditional American breakfast. When Chanyeol came out, his hair still messy and wet, he pecked Baekhyun lightly on the cheek as he settled down for breakfast. 

 

They were both lying next to each other, Baekhyun curled around Chanyeol with a leg thrown over his waist. They were both , on account that they had just had . Baekhyun was now slowly drawing circles on Chanyeol's stomach as he listened to Chanyeol enthusiastically talk about what he and Yixing had planned to wear and what backdrop to have during their performance. Baekhyun snuggled into Chanyeol's side, his head coming to rest on the left of Chanyeol's chest, lulling himself to sleep with Chanyeol's heartbeats.

 

It was a lazy day at school. Baekhyun liked it. He tangled his fingers with Chanyeol's as they watched the documentary being projected. Chanyeol turned to him and grinned, his teeth blinding Baekhyun a little. Chanyeol gripped Baekhyun's fingers tighter. Baekhyun smiled and sighed contently as he turned back to the screen.

 

Their days had become never ending repeats of the last day. They woke up, left for class, met up for lunch, attended classes again, came home, had dinner, then maybe had . Baekhyun liked how routine their lives had become, how secure. He liked it stable, because it meant that Baekhyun would never have to lose that delightful feeling in his chest. 

 

 

image creds