Chapter 10 - Free

Corporate Cutie

 

Zhoumi blankly stared at the small vial of arsenic he held in his palm, the poison that would make or break him. It was the only thing that stood between losing his family or losing his friend. He was tempted to empty the contents of the vial down the sink but everytime he thought of it, Xiah’s face and words would pop into his head and he would put the vial away.

 

The more he used it, the easier it got to push his feelings aside and to just do what he was told. He had laced every water bottle in the house with arsenic on the off chance that Ryeowook would drink and get dosed. It was getting harder to dose him since Ryeowook was rarely at home, he couldn’t take the arsenic to work in case someone else got dosed instead.

 

He considered multiple times ending his life and ending his suffering but then his family back in China would suffer without him, he their only chance at getting their lives back. They depended solely on him, with all the weight on his shoulders, Zhoumi felt like letting it crush in and make him disappear.

 

Everything was so messed up now, all he wanted was to work and pay off his family’s debts in China now he has to kill his best friend all because of one man’s petty thirst for revenge. Zhoumi once had an insane idea to convince Xiah’s friends to turn against him but he knew that even though they didn’t agree with his plan of revenge, they were loyal to him and that pissed Zhoumi off.

 

What would it take to bring down Xiah? How many lives would be ruined before he was stopped? How much more of the guilt would consume Zhoumi in its fiery clutches before there was an end to this nightmare? And would there be anyone left on his side to put out this fire for him or would they just watch and let him burn in it?

 

~

I was right about my step-father, he said not a word to me the entire car ride home, but he kept glancing at me with a smug sneer I’d come to fear. It made me uneasy and anxious for what awaited me outside the safety of the car.

 

My heart was palpitating as the car turned into the drive way, the amount of hired men standing on the front steps was alarming to say the very least. The moment the car came to a stop, I was dragged by the collar of my shirt so hard, I found it difficult to breathe.

 

My step-father kept an iron vice grip on me as he forced me through the front door, past my mother, who was undoubtedly shocked by what she was witnessing and, yet she still didn’t intercede.

 

I knew that struggling would only fuel his anger more, so I was cooperative until I saw took note of the familiar door he was leading me to. When I was 8, whenever I got in trouble or did something he didn’t approve of, he would lock me in a room filled with old toys.

 

Dolls with missing limbs and eyes, ripped stuffed animals, clowns that looked too creepy to be considered child friendly. It was always freak me out and it left me with nightmares for days. Sometimes Leeteuk would come and rescue me but other times he couldn’t disobey his father.

 

“You know doing this will not make me change my mind about Sooyoung.” I said defiantly, trying so hard not to show fear, that would mean he wins.

 

In response he grunts and pulls on the collar tighter, making it a struggle to take in a breath. We got to the door, he managed to open it with one hand and keep me in place. The door opened with an eerie creak and groan, like it hadn’t been open in a while, I could smell the mould and dust that has accumulated inside all these years, a sudden thought terrifies me at the number of spiders and other insects that have chosen to make this room home.

 

“My boy, what makes you think this is about Sooyoung?” My step father points out questioningly, hoisting me up and shoving me into the room.

 

I land on the floor with a hard thud, surrounded by a dust cloud, the particles invading my nose and mouth. I swear I could feel stuff crawling on me already and tried not to shudder, turning around to my step-father, who has shut the door so that only a small gap is left. He has that same smug expression from the hotel, his eyes stare into mine and the message is clear to me now, the realisation blindsiding me.

 

This wasn’t about Sooyoung at all.

 

“This is payback.” He says confirming my thoughts, embarrassing him is the same as committing a sin, closing the door with a sinister chuckle.

 

The door shuts with a forceful clack and I’m shrouded in total darkness, the room is so quiet that I can hear the creepy crawlies moving around. I turn myself around and lean against the door, my back firmly on the wood, praying that someone comes and finds me soon. It felt like forever when I head shuffling on the other side of the door, my body tensed instantly as if on guard.

 

“Ryeowook.”

 

A voice says timidly, a voice that used to relax me and sing me to sleep, console me when I got into trouble. The same voice that I wouldn’t have traded for anything in the entire world, a voice that used to be my everything.

 

“Mother.” I acknowledged, standing up and facing the door, putting a hand on it while foolishly hoping she was doing the same thing.

 

“Do you really love him that much?” She suddenly asks, the sincerity in her voice was questionable but I knew she wouldn’t say anything unless she wanted a clear decisive answer and for some reason, she needed mine.

 

“Yes, Mother and he loves me.” I say with a teary smile, it’s the first time I’ve voiced out my feelings to someone about Siwon. I hear her sigh deeply as if she has confirmed something.

 

“I can’t let you out, but I can try to reason with your step-father.” She says and then its complete silence.

 

My mother has her shortcomings, but I knew deep down she hadn’t rejected me completely, when it had been just the two of us, we had both been each other’s source of strength and comfort. When she had met Mr Park, she always had a smile on her face around him, he had ensnared my mother with charming smiles and sweet words.

 

As soon as they had gotten married, his demeanour changed, and his true self made himself known. A strict, cold man who only measured your worth but how successful you were or could be. I was heavily disciplined for the tiniest of things and made to feel I was nothing unless I became someone powerful and accomplished.

 

I’d always felt sorry that Leeteuk had grown up with a father like that while my own father had been a gentle, kind, understanding gentlemen. It made me wonder sometimes if Leeteuk would have turned out like his father if our parents hadn’t met, I was grateful that he had become the opposite of his father.

 

Leeteuk reminded me very much of my own father and I suppose that’s why whenever I’m around him, I feel safe and protected because I know he would never let anyone hurt me, not even his own father.

 

~

Siwon followed silently behind Mrs Park as they walked through several doors before stopping in a study that he could only assume was Mr Park’s office. Said man was seated at his desk with Yesung standing beside him with an expression that clearly showed how uncomfortable and elsewhere he wished to be.

 

He noticed how Mrs Park’s air of authority and defiance she had displayed outside was not present before her husband, she stood with her head down and hands clasped together, resting on her stomach, being very much a submissive wife. Siwon’s steel gaze goes to Mr Park, their eyes meet for the briefest moment, in those few seconds, the businessman in Siwon deducted that the only way to come out on top and with Ryeowook by his side, was to be level headed and not do anything rash.

 

He knew Mr Park valued status above everything, Ryeowook would mention it frequently and knew how much his lover hated his step-fathers messed up prejudices and beliefs.

 

“What can I do for you, Mr Choi?” Mr Park drawls, smiling mockingly at Siwon and leaning back into his chair.

 

“We both know the answer to that, Mr Park.” Siwon answers stoically, walking forward until he was only a few feet away from the desk.

 

“I’m afraid my stepson is indisposed at this moment.” His thin lips form a crooked smile that sends chills down Siwon’s spine.

 

“What have you done to him?!” Siwon demanded, his eyes widened in alarm for a moment before he composed himself, clenching his fists at his sides into tight balls.

 

“Nothing that concerns you so leave Mr Choi and we’ll forget about this intrusion.” The elder man stands up, fixing the cuffs on his sleeves like it was the most important task to do.

 

“I’m not going anywhere without Ryeowook, sir.” Siwon says defiantly with resolve, standing his ground was the one thing he must do if he wanted his lover back.

 

Mr Park walks around the desk until he comes face to face, toe to toe with Siwon. Both men emitted an air of authority with neither backing down or submitting. Age did not matter in this test of will power, both men’s obvious dislike and disdain for another is apparent on their faces.

 

“Why do you want my stepson? He is useless, that boy can’t do anything right.”

 

Siwon is appalled at how lowly Mr Park thinks of Ryeowook, it took all his self-control and reciting a prayer not to punch the man there and then. Instead he lifts his chin proudly, eyes shining with determination that makes Mr Park scowl.

 

“Not to me he isn’t, Ryeowook is everything to me and so much more for reasons you will never ever understand.” He confesses, wishing that Ryeowook had been here to hear it.

 

Yesung is watching the exchange between Siwon and his employer, a proud smile forms knowing that Ryeowook has chosen one heck of a partner. Siwon has proved just how much Ryeowook means to him and is willing to protect him with all his heart and might, it was clear that the love Siwon had for Ryeowook was as deep as the ocean, endless and plentiful.

 

“That boy ruined my son and he will ruin you too.”

 

Mr Parks words had a warning in them that Siwon found to be unnecessary and couldn’t understand why he thought Ryeowook was so bad.

 

“How exactly did he ruin Leeteuk? Leeteuk is a kind man, he doesn’t judge people the way you do and use them for personal gain. If being around Ryeowook ruins me by making me a better man, I will gladly be with him forever.” Siwon states proudly.

 

Mr Park scoffs in disgust, before he can reply, the door to his study opened with Leeteuk and Kangin rushing in, both with red faces and slightly frazzled expressions. While his employer was occupied, Yesung took the keys to Ryeowook’s prison and quickly left the room, he passed Ryeowook’s mother, who gave him a knowing glance and nod. Once he was out of the study, he ran like his life depended on it.

 

In the study, Leeteuk stood in front of his father, he was hesitant to talk. He had stood up to his father on countless occasions but the nervousness and anxiety he felt each time never went away. He swallowed the bile in his throat, reassuring himself that Ryeowook’s future and happiness depended on him.

 

“Father, let them be together. There is no need for this, to make Ryeowook suffer and be unhappy.” He pleads, hoping for once in his life, his father will listen to him.

 

“You are a fool! Too many times you have stood against me in defence of that brat! He made you disrespect me!” Mr Park spat angrily, glaring at his son in disapproval.

 

Kangin notices Siwon was going to say something and quickly grabbed hold of his arm, gesturing not to intervene. Leeteuk took another step toward his father, he could feel his resolve weakening by the second, the longer he stayed with his father, but he had to hold out, for Ryeowook’s sake.

 

‘Ryeowook is not to blame, you did that yourself. You are too hard on him, nothing he does pleases you. He tried so hard to make you accept him but you pushed him aside and made him think he was nothing unless he became a somebody. After mother died, you were like that with me too, pushing and demanding me to do better, to exceed. I just wanted a life, Father! You need to change the way you see the world before you lose yourself and me, Ryeowook wants to live his own life, at his own pace. Why can’t you accept that both of us will never be you or what you had envisioned?”

 

Leeteuk took a deep breathe, he hadn’t meant to make a long speech but once the words left his mouth, they just kept coming and coming, his true feeling in every word he has spoken. He waited for his father to respond but all he received was a glare that could make hell freeze over.

 

“You have the gall to speak to me like that?! I knew that brat would be a menace the first time I laid eyes on him. Watching you coddle him like you were his mother disgusted me! That boy will do as I say, or he can leave this family forever!” Mr Park shouted furiously while Leeteuk eyes his father with pity.

 

“Then I’ll leave.” Comes a soft voice.

 

Everyone turned around to see Ryeowook in the door way with Yesung beside him, Leeteuk saw the downtrodden expression on Ryeowook’s face and his heart sank realising he’d heard every word his father had said. He watched his step-brother walk up to them, coming to stand beside him. Ryeowook gave Leeteuk a half-hearted smile before giving his attention to his step-father.

 

“I’ll leave this family and house, if I have your word that you will not interfere with my life ever again.” He proposed with an anxious yet unwavering expression, Siwon had stepped forward to stand beside him, grasping one of his hands and holding it tightly.

 

“Fine but once you leave this house, you will never see or speak to your mother again for as long as I live.” Mr Park commented with a malicious smirk, his gaze as equally malicious, only more spiteful than anything else.

 

Ryeowook was tempted to surrender and just to his step-father’s bidding but his one chance of happiness and freedom were at stake, could he never see his mother again? The woman had done so much for him growing up but he knew she was a changed woman from the day she met Mr Park. She was still his mother and he loved her, but she was only the shell of the mother she used to be and he was surprisingly okay with not seeing her or talking to her again.

 

It still baffled him as to why Mr Park loathed him so much, as a child, he’d done everything possible to please the man, to get some kind of recognition from the man but Mr Park’s heart had already turned to stone.

 

“Agreed.” He said, kind of relieved that once he stepped out of this house, he would never have to see this horrid man ever again.

 

He turned around and walked to the door, pulling Siwon along with him, he passed by his mother. She made no move to stop him, with a heavy heart, Ryeowook accepted that she had already let him go. It made his heart ache a little bit, his eyes felt prickly from unshed tears. No words were spoken between Siwon and Ryeowook until they had left the house and were in Siwon’s car.

 

Once inside, the dam in Ryeowook broke and tears poured freely down his face, Siwon immediately gathered him in his arms, embracing him and holding him against his chest as he cried his heart out, the younger feeling the consequences of his decision all at once, like a tidal wave.

Siwon’s hands were his head and rubbing circles on his back to comfort him. Time passed and Ryeowook’s sobs had alleviated down to soft sniffles, his eyes red rimmed from crying so much, tears stains on his sunken cheeks. Ryeowook lifted his head from Siwon’s shoulder and looked up at him, his heart flipped at the love and concern he could see on the elder’s face and he knew that even though it hurt, he had made the right choice.

 

He slowly leaned forward, his heart hammering as he pressed his lips to Siwon’s, the elder responded instantly, both pouring the love they felt for each other into the kiss. Siwon coaxed Ryeowook’s mouth open with a swipe of his tongue, the younger opened his mouth for Siwon to slant his lips over to deepen the kiss.

 

They pulled apart to catch their breath, Ryeowook’s cheeks turned pink as Siwon caressed his jaw. Ryeowook gazed lovingly at Siwon, bringing his own hand up to cup the elder’s cheek and giving him a bright smile.

 

“I’m free, Wonie.” He whispers as Siwon closes the gap, connecting their lips together again for another heated kiss.

 

~

At the office Heechul and Hyukjae were in the younger’s office, the pair pacing around the room, waiting anxiously to hear of any news. Hyukjae had enough of walking around and sat at his desk, his gaze going to his phone every few minutes. Heechul unceremoniously flings himself down on the couch, the smack of the leather echoed in the quiet office.

 

“Everything is okay, right Heechul?” Hyukjae’s words were dripping with unease and insecurity. Heechul heaved a deep sigh before replying to his worried friend.

 

“Have faith in Siwon, Hyuk.” He said in a flat tone even though he was just as worried about Siwon. Yesung was supposed to keep him informed but the texts stopped coming an hour ago and Heechul was beside himself, close to ripping his hair out.

 

Donghae stood at the door, unsure if he should go in or not and disturb them with work related stuff. He was sure that Siwon wouldn’t want them dwelling and just focus on the company, so taking a deep breathe, he knocked on the door and entered Hyukjae’s office. Taking note of the expressions that greeted him as he walked in, he went to Hyukjae’s desk, putting down the folder he brought with him down in front of his boyfriend.

 

“What is that?” Hyukjae asked curtly, Donghae was taken back by his boyfriend’s sour mood but quickly pushed that thought aside to the back of his mind for later.

 

“It’s the contract Bangtan Corp sent over, the signatures are on it as well as a list of agreements for you to go over.” He tells him, leaning over to open the folder so Hyukjae could see the paperwork.

 

Hyukjae scans the paperwork before him briefly, not really in the right frame of mind and closes the folder, looking up at Donghae.

 

“Anything else?”

 

“Well when I was on the phone with their secretary, the name Xiah Junsu came up.” Donghae paused when he noticed Hyukjae’s jaw clench slightly and Heechul had also had the same reaction.

 

“Xiah Junsu, why am I hearing his name and Bangtan Corp in the same sentence?” Heechul demanded, getting off the couch to stand beside Donghae, gesturing for him to continue.

 

“The secretary mentioned that he’s tried on multiple occasions to meets with the CEO’s, but they keep refusing to meet with him once they heard through a source how much he hates Choi/Lee Corporation.” Donghae revealed.

 

Hyukjae let out a frustrated, irritated sigh, Heechul looked like he wanted to hit somebody, Donghae stood still, not sure if he should leave the office, it was rare to see both of them angry like this.

 

“What are we going to do, Hyuk? He promised he would destroy the company and it seems like he is finally making his move.” Heechul notes calmly, although Donghae could see his right eye twitching.

 

“Nothing yet, not until we know for sure it is the same Xiah we are thinking about.” Hyukjae replies sombrely

 

“Should we tell Siwon about it?” Donghae suggests only to have the two of them shout at him in unison.

 

“No! No one tells him anything!” Hyukjae ordered, his hard gaze on Donghae, who nodded meekly and shuffled to the door, leaving the room.

 

Hyukjae knew he would have to apologize on his knees later to Donghae but right now he couldn’t let his personal emotions get in the way. They now had a big problem on their hands, the Xiah they knew had vowed to do anything and everything to destroy the company back then, Hyukjae had seen the crazy, driven look the man had in his eyes after they had taken over his company. It wasn’t a hostile takeover or a personal vendetta on their part, the company was losing money and stocks, so Choi/Lee Corporation had bought them out, gave all the employees jobs at their company so no one would be jobless but Xiah has seen it as a personal attack and fled the country after his vow to ruin them all.

 

And now it would seem he is back and ready to make his vow a reality.