II

Logical Progression
In the previous chapter, a pretty loud discussion went on in the Lee household, shaking the walls and making the floor tremble. *exaggeration*  And just in case you've forgotten, the reason for it was TeenTop's mischievous-rapper's impending loss of singlehood. 
 
Lee Byunghun is going to get married.  To whom, he doesn't know.  How it came down to marriage (not even a quasi-arranged marriage where parents introduce a potential spouse with the outcome eventually up to the two people concerned) he doesn't know either.  What he does know, for sure, is that HE IS IN TROUBLE!

In his thoughts, idols don't get married at the age of 21, not if they know what's good for them.  Management has a ban on dating, more so for marriages.  Shinhwa is managing themselves and is old enough to get girlfriends and get married but they're still single.  In short, management is not going to allow it, period.  Besides, TeenTop is supposed to reach the top and at 3 years they still have a loooooong way to go.  And more importantly, what about his Angels, his LJjangs.  It took sweat and hard work to get them to trust him and love him, he cannot disappoint them.

So after much silence, the puzzling tale of his "marriage" began to unravel itself as both his parents (mostly his father) told the story of how his son will not have a choice but to get married:  The story goes that he disappointed his own father by marrying his wife.  Apparently, it was arranged that he was supposed to marry someone else, the daughter of his best friend.   Because during those times, in a show of customary friendship and loyalty, the two patriarchs made a pact to marry their children to each other to preserve and exemplify their family's commitment to each other.  But he disobeyed and wed Mrs. Lee in a secret ceremony, and his supposed spouse, after hearing of what he did, also got the courage to wed her beloved.  
 
Notwithstanding, their fathers were furious and tried to severe all ties with them but their mothers implored both to see reason and to accept the situation, but somewhere along the exchange of heated words and anguished statements was the agreement of having one of their children's children consummate the fateful adherence and allegiance in order to tie the families together forever and ever.

And so now we return to the scene of palpable tension ---
 
"...It was said in the heat of the moment!  We were in chaos, there was shouting, crying, cursing.  I don't think I even understood what he said!  I just said yes to get it over with.  I never thought he will take it to heart."  Mr. Lee explained to his son.
 
Byunghun was speechless.  *face palm*  Looking from his mother to his father.  Throat too dry to even swallow his saliva.  How can this be?  This is the modern age.  Arranged marriages don't happen anymore, right?  Right?!! 

"I didn't even remember it anymore until he called me to his office last month to remind me.  I mean, he was so fond of both of you, his grandsons.  How can he stand to make any of you unhappy?" his father said.

"Last month?!" Byunghun asked.  "You already knew since last month and you're only telling me now?! Why?"   There was something fishy about this, fishier than it already is!

His mother interjected, "Byunghun, appa has been discussing this with harabeoji since then.  Halmeoni and I have been talking to him too but harabeoji is intent on going through with it.  And it was set that your going to meet with your bride-to-be on Saturday."

"Huh?! But Saturday is tomorrow, isn't it?"  Byunghun asked and tried to remember the names of the week...today is Friday, yesterday was Thursday, and so...tomorrow is...Saturday.  Can they be wrong, maybe they meant the next Saturday or the one after that.

"Yes, we'll meet them tomorrow." his father confirmed.  "Abeoji already called Andy-nim to clear your schedule and let you go."

And just like that, Byunghun's imagined relief of having to postpone the meeting and convincing his grandfather of the cancellation of this madness was swept away, completely obliterated.  'POOOF!'  'BOOM!'

Being controlled by the company is fine, being told what to wear, how to act, what to say...all this is fine; management knows better about this things and it helps their idols to be known and be popular, and in return management receives their incentives.  Showbusiness IS a business after all.  But being controlled by your family is another thing.  Arranged marriage does not benefit anyone except for those who organized it.  And for what?  So they can get personal gratification and satisfaction while the others involved in their scheme is all miserable? 

Byunghun does not stand for such things!  And WILL NOT stand for such things!

His father can try to frighten him, his mother and brother can try to coax him, his grandfather can even drag him or beat him BUT he will not give them the satisfaction of willingly submitting to this...this...delusion!  Because, he knows that when you do things you're not willing to do, it always ends in regret and disappointment.  And Lee Byunghun made up his mind a long time ago that he will not live his life in regret.

"I'm not going!" he told his parents firmly and with a voice that brooked no further argument.

His parents looked at each other and knew that there was nothing further to discuss.  Their son has determined that he will not go.  There is no doubt in their minds that tomorrow is going to be the longest day of their lives.



~to be continued~
next chapter:  meet the heroine