IV

Logical Progression
"WHAT DO YOU MEAN HE DOESN'T WANT TO GO??!" the voice at the other end of the line asked loudly, and to avoid damaging his tympanic membrane, Mr. Lee held the handset well away from his ear.  He had just told his father that his son did not want to go to the meeting. 
 
...And this is the kind of situation we find in the Lee household on the crack of dawn of Saturday morning.  Father and son battling it out on the phone while Lee Byunghun, a.k.a. LJoe, was comfortably snoozing on his bed at the dorm.  Since his grandfather asked ~more like told~ TOP Media to clear his schedule for today he had nothing to do.  s already left for their schedules and he intended to make good use of the peace and quiet.
 
The discussion with his parents last night ended but he knew it wasn't going to be the end of it.  His grandfather was authoritarian to the last drop and only softens up when his grandsons does aegyo. 
 
Lee Byunghun, "LJOE", doing aegyo??! ~what?!~  You're surprised to know this, I see.  But the aegyo concerned is not the typical cringe-worthy aegyo he does on broadcasts; smiling tenderly at his grandfather with batting eyelashes usually does the trick...but even that has its limits as he had found out before on several occasions. 
 
The sun was up but Lee Byunghun was still busy lounging on the clouds and feeling a quiet breeze when he was brought back to his bed by the incessant ringing of his phone.  Sensing that it might be important, he grumpily d for it and groaned out an answer with his eyes still closed.
 
"Byunghun, Dr. Park called.  Abeoji is in the hospital. Come quick!  I'm already on my way."  The panicked voice of his father woke him up instantaneously.  He shoved aside the blanket covering him and got a hold of his clothes and putting them on hastily.  He hailed a taxi and kept muttering silent prayers while on the way to the hospital. 

A few minutes later, both father and son arrived at the hospital and hurriedly went in, heading straight to the information section.  Before reaching it however, Dr. Park conveniently walked out and greeted them with a bow as he pointed his finger to the right where the seats for the waiting companions of the patients are located.

An old man who was sitting alone stood up.  Back straight.  Slicked-back whitening hair.  Crisp suite.  Sharp eyes.  Smirking thin red lips.   "Good!  Both of you are here. Now, come on." and the old man walked briskly to the front entrance with both his son and grandson following behind scratching their heads.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eunji was in the kitchen putting away the groceries when her mother came in with a worried look on her face.  Behind her Eunji's grandfather made himself known.

"You look busy?" he asked.

"I'm helping with lunch and dinner.  We're celebrating Minji's ranking at school, she's 2nd place overall." she answered nonchalantly.

"Appa..." her mother trailed off looking at her father.

He put his hand on his daughters shoulder and gave a reassuring squeeze.  "Eunji, come with me, we need to talk." he said.

Eunji somehow knew this was coming.  Her decision of not going to the meeting will eventually lead to her grandfather seeking her out and talking about it face to face.  He always says that talking is the best way to settle things and to clear up misconceptions. 

Her mother took over in preparing the things needed for lunch and embraced her daughter in a brief hug before shoving her out to follow the old man.  She followed her grandfather who walked to her room and stood at the door waiting for her to catch up. 

When she opened the door, he looked around and nodded.  The room was clean, the bed made, no loitering clothes around.  Two bookshelves heaving with books ran along two of the four-walled room, with still more books on the floor stacked one on top of the other in a teetering pile.  One side of the bookshelves were dedicated solely to cds, arranged in order of preference.  Under the bed he could glimpse more books.  The wall across her bed has the first Super Junior SuperShow poster, the only poster that can be found in the entire room.  By that alone, he can tell his granddaughter's ideal type.  Clean cut, gentlemanly guys.  He knows this because she's had that poster ever since she was little and it was never put down nor replaced; and also because he asked her about it one time.


< Flashback:

Eunji~ah, what is that poster?

Harabeoji, it's SuperJunior!  Don't you know who SuperJunior is?

Oh~ So it's Super Junior huh?!  Why do you like them?  Isn't DongBangShinKi more popular?

Yes, my classmates like DBSK.  But I love SuperJunior more.  I'm going to marry them all someday!

Eunji~ah, first you need to understand why you like them so that you can marry them and won't sway when other more handsome idols come.

Oh okay~  I like Leeteuk~oppa because he takes care of the members very well.  Heechul~oppa is very honest.  Yesung~oppa has a very powerful voice.  Sungmin~oppa has a very sweet voice and a very sweet smile and very sweet aegyo and he likes danhobak.  Donghae~oppa is very handsome.  Eunhyuk~oppa is very good at dancing.  Kangin~oppa is very strong.  Shindong~oppa is very funny.  Siwon~oppa is a gentleman.  Kibum~oppa is a good actor.  Ryeowook~oppa's voice is very smooth.  Kyuhun~oppa's voice is very sincere.  Hangeng~oppa is very athletic.

So you want all those characteristics for a husband?

Can I guy have all of them?

Eunji~ah, for my special baby~doll, I will find the man who has all these traits, just for you.


> End of Flashback.


 

"Harabeoji, I will not go."  Eunji stated frankly when both of them entered the room.

Her grandfather sighed.  "I'm sorry baby~doll, but this is a commitment. And I promised you didn't I?"

"Promised me what?"  she asked.

"That I will find the guy you will marry, the one with all the best traits that you like."

"And you think this guy is your friends grandson?"

"Do you think I will lie to you?"  her grandfather asked.

"Harabeoji..."  she called with a very audible sigh  "I love you but this is not fair and you know it.  How can you expect me to just give up my dreams and marry him like it is the most normal thing in the world?  Arranged marriages are a thing of the past.  Please cancel it."

Her grandfather took the time to walk to her small table and sat in the chair.  "Mr. Lee is my brother in all but blood.  He and I served in the war together and each of us took care of the others family when we were called in separate stations after the war ended.  A simple thank you, however heartfelt, can never repay the debts we owe to each other.  That's why we decided to permanently bond the families together." 

"I understand all that, but why does it have to be by marriage?  There are other things that can be done!" 

"Like what?  Give me an example and if it's good enough I will cancel the arrangement." her grandfather challenged.

She was caught and she knew it.  There was nothing in the world that can permanently bond two families together other than by marriage.  She tried hard to think of a way out but the things she thought of were feeble.

Her grandfather took her silence as a sign.  "I know this boy ever since he was young.  Mr. Lee even brought him to the house a few times and both of you played together, I don't know if you remember.  But I promise you, baby~doll, he is a good kid.  Now, come on, there's no harm in meeting him first, right?"

Knowing that her defense was lost, she stood up to get ready.  Meeting him may not be that bad after all but it doesn't go to say that she will obligingly agree to this marriage arrangement.  Her grandfather may have won the argument for today but she will win the war tomorrow.  This she swears!


 

~to be continued~
next chapter:  the case argument of the old men vs the young people