1989 in Beijing with Key

Explore The Universe With Me

Author's Note: I feel the need to say that this right here is my favorite point in history ever. I find it fascinating how such a large-scale massacre occured had so much evidence of photos and videos, and the Chinese government denied it back in the day and deny it to this day. When you search Tiananmen Square Massacre on their Google, nothing shows up because they block all information about it. This one-shot focuses on the infamous Tank Man. Here's a video of what he is known for. I highly highly highly encourage you to watch it, it's three minutes long, and I know history is boring, but hE ING STANDS IN FRONT OF LIKE NINE TANKS THEN CLIMBS ON TOP AND TELLS THEM TO OFF like he is so badass you should watch it. Anyways, here's the one-shot. Enjoy!

 

 

The blonde-haired man had told you that he was going to take you to the largest shopping mall of the future, the Beijing Mall. You were excited because you wondered what clothing they wore as well as how far technology had really advanced. You waited patiently by the TARDIS doors, swinging your feat as you sat on the railing. When you felt the box land, you jumped down eagerly, already hearing the foreign voices from outside the doors. Soon enough, the boy walked over and opened the doors for you, taking a look outside to see where exactly he had landed. 

You expected to see hovercrafts, plasma ceilings, and robots floating around everywhere. You didn’t know whether or not to expect if the same stories would be around, but you believed that maybe some of the technology and higher fashion stores would make it. You also expected to see bright colors everywhere, painting the ceilings, walls, and floors; especially the people chatting amongst themselves in the most populated city in the world. And of course the people would have to happy because it was the future and they could probably transport to anywhere in the world they desired-much like you at this very moment. However, you saw none of this whatsoever. In fact, you believed that you saw the complete opposite.

There was no fancy clothes or updated technology; there was a clear lack of color besides for the very bold and bloody red. People were complaining of hunger and appeared weak. Military officials patrolled the grounds with intimidating guns and were warning the people to move while they could. The people looked young and innocent, and above all; afraid. You turned to the Doctor and sent him a fearful expression. You noticed that he too seemed nervous and was chewing on his lip as he scanned the area.

“Uhm, I think we went to 1989 instead of 2089. We’ll just have to be careful, there should still be some beautiful traditional Chinese clothing being sold. It’s all hand-made here, not like your Wal-Mart or Target.” he guided, cautiously stepping outside the blue box. You followed and took in a deeper breath of the people around you. All their signs were in Chinese and you couldn’t read what they said. You nudged the man and pointed to them, asking why the TARDIS’ automatic translator didn’t translate them.

“They could either be ineligible or maybe it’s taking a while for her to boot up the Mandarin translator. In a few minutes you should be able to read them fine. Now let’s go!” the Doctor grabbed your hand and pulled you out of the crowd and onto the hole-in-the-wall filled streets of Beijing, not allowing you to stay behind.

By the time you had reached a street that wasn’t as crowded as the square you had just come from, you didn’t know where you were. The blonde beauty you were with kept muttering about how the people who claimed to sell him only premium silk used fake or imitation. He’d run his hand along the embroidery and click his tongue in annoyance. After several failed attempts, the two of you decided to sit down at a small place and order noodles and dumplings. 

“How do you manage to walk so much? My legs feel like they are able to fall off!” you commented, rubbing your sore calves. The boy rolled his eyes.

“I’m used to it. Running all the time. Sometimes for my life, just casually. If you can’t keep up, bad things tend to happen.” he replied cooly, looking around the restaurant. “Once I walked the entire Great Wall because I had a weekend. Talk about cardio, those steps were not light in incline.” he finished, shivering from the thought. Your eyes went wide, surprised that such a man would even make an attempt. Wasn’t the Great Wall located over mountains and hills? You had never been and certainly never will go.

“You’re crazy.”

“Crazy attractive.”

You slapped his arm, making a sour face. He pouted and fluttered his eyelashes, looking innocently up at you. You turned your head in the opposite direction so that you wouldn’t fall for his trap and admit that he was kinda cute. But from what you had seen so far, you doubted the man was mature enough to handle being hot, much less a relationship. He talked to his own time-teleportation device for crying out loud, is he even remotely prepared for such a thing? You decided to take the easy way out and placed your hands over his own, smiling softly at him.

“Whatever you think, sweetheart.” you cooed, pinching his cheek. Just as his hand flew up to touch his now blushing cheek, the cook came out with your dishes. 

“Aw, look at you two. How adorable, young love. If you want, I have some ginseng wine in the back fridge, complimentary for you.” she smiled, gestured towards the back kitchen. You stuttered in response before the Doctor replied for you.

“Ah, we’ll be fine, thank you.” he smiled politely and the lady walked away, calling to the other cooks about how they had a cute couple today. You hid your face in your hands and didn’t dare to look at the boy. The steam from your bamboo bowl of dumplings was slowly rising to your face, forcing you to sit up straight so you didn’t burn your face. You began eating quickly for the sake of not having to make conversation after the lady’s awkward comment. But you had nothing to worry about because the Doctor took care of that for you.

“How silly of her! Can’t a boy and a girl go out for lunch together without being called a romantic couple? I mean I knew we’re a couple, but not in that way! Guess with all the protests things have been really bleak.” he said, slurping his noodles nosily. After this comment, the two of you didn’t speak for his eyes appeared deeper, as if he was deep in thought.

- - - -

“What do you think? I like the royal blue but the Chinese red also looks stunning on me.” the boy asked, holding a traditional Chinese silk shirt to his chest. The two of you had finally found a place that sold authentic silk clothing, and you could already see the boy’s eyes lighting up in delight as he picked at the clothing around him. You laughed as the shopkeeper complimented him no matter what he was holding, saying that everything looked stunning on him.

“Both! Both look good on you! It must be so hard to choose, you should buy both, sir!” she cooed, handing him the royal blue shirt that he had just put back. You laughed as he tried to put it back, but the shopkeeper insisted that he buy it. He turned to you and nodded at the lady. Your eyes went wide.

“Purple! I have a purple dress just for you, miss!” she brought a dress to your dress, complimenting you immediately on how well it matched your lovely skin tone. You politely asked her to put it back, but the Doctor halted your words and paid for all of the clothing. You didn’t notice how much clothing you had actually bought until you heard her say how much yuan it cost and how many bags you needed. The man smiled at you and wrapped a scarf around your neck, murmuring something about how beautiful you looked.

You couldn’t help yourself but to place a faint kiss upon his cheek. 

He pulled away in surprise, red filling his cheeks. Everything was happening so slowly, yet so quickly. Should I?, you thought. I think I will.

You leaned in and captured his lips for a moment, lifting a palm to caress his cheek and another to curl in his hair. Soon enough, the moment ended and he pulled away in complete shock.

“Wh-what was that!” he exclaimed, nearly falling over in surprise. You bit your lip and turned around, heading back in the direction of the square where you had come from.

“It’s nothing, just nothing.”

It was something.

- - - -

The two of you stood dumbfounded at the street corner in a crowd of people staring at the scene before you unfold. A group of nine tanks were rolling down the street towards the group of protesters in the square. As they drew nearer, you felt your heart race and you began to sweat nervously. You didn’t want to appear out of the ordinary because of all of the military you could be dealing with, it just had to be the strict Chinese. 

“Look at all those poor people down there, protesting peacefully. Did they know that it would lead to this? They’re probably going to get killed.” you commented, watching with sad eyes. The Doctor nodded at your side, his hands gripping the shopping bags tightly. His brushed his blonde hair back and took a deep breath, handing you a small silver key. 

“This is the key to the TARDIS. Walk across the subway platform underground and make yourself safe. I need to do something.” Not wanting to stay there a minute longer, you nodded and look off to find the subway opening.

When you got into the TARDIS, you noticed that the hanging TV was showing the street that you were just on. There, before your very eyes, stood a single man with shopping bags in front of the tanks. You watched as he refused to let the tanks pass him; taking a few steps left if the tank went left, taking a few steps right if the tank went right. When the tank came to a halt, you saw him climb up onto it and speak with the driver, his bags swaging as he made aggressive arm movements. You could practically hear his words of protest against what they were about to do, his words that would try to save thousands of lives. After what was only a few seconds, he climbed down from the tank and stood to the side; watching.

The tank began to move forward again. The blonde again stepped in front of it and refused to let it pass, standing with his shoulders high and his feet spread apart in a power stance. The man from the tank arose once more and screamed at him something that you were unable to hear. You bit your lip in fear that he would be arrested or worse, be killed right there. In contrast, he walked to the side and through the crowd without making any retorts to the military official. You anxiously waited to hear the doors open, for that sigh of relief.  And soon enough, with a large thud! of him kicking the doors open with his boot, it came.

“What the hell just happened?” you asked. He put the bags down and shook his head, not answering. You asked again. He sighed loudly and leaned over his forearms on the dashboard, shaking his head to himself. Finally, he stood up straight and looked you in the eyes.

“Look, I was raised by my grandmother who raised me to be the best man I could be. In an hour, over two thousand will be killed and over nine thousand will be injured. Although I want to go out and save every single one of their lives, I can’t. I wish I could, just for her. It . It really, really, .” he closed his eyes for a minute. A shot was fired outside and you saw him flinch, his hands squeezing the edge of the dashboard. You looked down as another was sounded, the noise terrifying and depressing. You took the blonde’s hand in your own and leaned on his shoulder, offering any comfort at all to him. He leaned his head onto your own and chew on his lip, probably deep in thought. You raised his hand to your lips and planted a firm kiss on the back of it, silently telling him that you were there to support him. He looked down at you and smiled weakly, his fingers caressing your own gently in his own form of appreciation.

“So, where to next, my lady?”