1924 in NYC with Jonghyun

Explore The Universe With Me

You were scanning the sheaves of your local supermarket, searching for a can of baked beans. It was Friday after work and you had forgotten to go out yesterday so you were stuck during rush hour collecting your needs for the following week. You finally found a can a dropped one into your basket, pulling out your shopping list to see what was next. You saw that you needed a box of spaghetti as well as walked down the aisle and took a left into the next aisle. You bent down to look at the various types of pasta and as you stood up to look at the higher shelves, you caught a glance of the man standing next to you who was staring at a shelf of rice.

He had pale blonde, almost white locks and was a bit shorter than you. He was dressed rather fancy for a simple supermarket run, but you simply thought that maybe he had just come from work before heading home like you. He wore a button-up shirt with a black jacket, complete with a simple crimson red bowtie and black jeans. You bit your lip at how attractive he was and appeared to look at the boxes of pasta, however in reality, you were totally checking him out from the corner of your eye. You got lost in this task for a mount before you heard a wonderful laugh ring in your ears.

“Am I that pretty? I can see you looking.” he laughed, dancing around to your other side. You blushed and hid your head, mumbling something along the lines of ‘I’m sorry, you’re just really handsome’ incoherently. The man grinned and spun you around.

“Hey, it’s all right. It’s a compliment! I’ve always thought it was the bowtie, but maybe it’s my new hair color. What do you think?” he cheerfully said, running his hand through his short hair. You stood again the various pastas and fumbled for words, amazing at the man’s boldness. You stuttered for a few moments before finally settling on not saying anything. He rolled his eyes and pressed his forehead to yours, a smirk gracing his lips as he did so. He repeated his question to you, his tone demanding a quick answer.

“B-body. Your biceps are bulging out of your shirt.” you finally said, blushing an even darker shade of red. He grinned and flexed his arms, proud of how strong he appeared. Looking back to you, he nudged your shoulder.

“Can I tell you a secret?” you nodded slowly suspicious of how odd he was acting. What is this guy, some sort of y freak?, you wondered. He surely can’t be sane and acting like this. He leaned over and whispered into your ear, a smirk gracing his lips.

“Meet me outside of the supermarket when you’re done. I’ll be just to the left, hard to miss me, sickly short asian with white hair. And y muscles, I suppose I’ll add.” he winked and skipped down the as isle. You stood there with your mouth wide open, not knowing what to think. Did that just really happen?, you thought to yourself. What the ? Is this guy bonkers? He has to be. I think I’ll take a different route home this time. 

You finished up your shopping (taking your time, you may add) and checked out by yourself. With your groceries in both of your hands, you carefully stepped outside the supermarket, glancing for a brief moment to see if the strange man was anywhere to be seen. Before you could let out a sigh of relief, a hand grabbed your wrist and pulled you to the side. You were about to let out a scream when you noticed you were still in public and he hadn’t harmed you at all.

“What the hell, you crazy man! Could you be more polite?” you snapped, whining softly. He rolled his eyes and motioned towards this very peculiar blue telephone box. It looked a bit worn and you hadn’t ever recalled seeing this booth here during your fifteen years of residence in this area. You titled your head in wonder, trying to figure out how this got here and why it was here. You reached a hand out to touch it, feeling that it was cool like the chilly air and was composed of smooth wood. However, when you put too much pressure on what appeared to be the door, it opened on its own.

“Go on in.” the man simply said, smiling at the box. He ran a hand down the side, the corner as if it was his lover. You rolled your eyes at this odd behavior and pushed the door opened further, something urging you to explore further. When the door opened fully, you dropped your groceries and nearly shrieked.

“Holy sh-“

“Sugar honey, iced, tea. I know, go on, go in.” his smile was wide and warm. You stepped inside, forgetting your groceries on the ground outside. You walked up a metal ramp to where there was some sort of mechanical contraption. The celling was full of weird wires and lights. This thing, whatever it was, appeared to have a few floors and a few doors as well. But, wait. How could all of this fit into a stupid telephone box? You ran outside and around the box, making sure that what you had just entered was indeed a telephone box. When you assured yourself that on the outside it appeared as if it was a regular booth, you stepped back inside, allowing the shock to settle in.

“It’s…it’s…it’s bigger on the inside!” you exclaimed, running around what seemed to be a control panel. The man laughed and walked up the ramp to join you, allowing the door to slam shut behind him.

“You, indeed. And I am the Doctor.” he stated, flipping a few switches. You turned your head to face him.

“The who?”

“The Doctor.”

“Doctor who?” The man burst into laughter, collapsing onto the controls. He lifted himself up, wiping a tear from his eye and catching his breath. He patted your back and flipped a few more switches, causing a few odd noises to sound throughout the room.

“The Doctor, a time lord from the planet of Gallifrey. I travel all of time and space, anywhere at any time. Even right here in this busy city on this freezing day. So where do you want to go to?” he asked, leaning against the railing. You took a moment to absorb all of the information that he had given you, not quite understanding. So this guy’s an alien, you thought. He’s a time traveller, and he’s ing hot. Today’s interesting. I must be crazy for thinking this but I actually may want to run away with him.

“You can go anywhere? At any time?” you asked. He nodded.

“Take me to Jupiter, present-day.” you said the first thing that came to mind.

“Jupiter’s right now having major sand and wind storms, that wouldn’t be the best idea. Your sinuses will not like it one bit. How about the 1920s in New York City? Talk about a hell of a party!” he grinned, twirling around the room. You nodded in agreement and watched him turn a few levers before pulling down on one exceptionally large one. The two of you jolted back onto the ground as you felt yourselves being tossed into the sky, gravity unable to hold you down. Within a minute this effect was gone and you guessed that you had landed. Jonghyun stood up and ran to the door, slowly opening it up then motioning for you to follow. You ran over and peeked outside.

You noticed men in trenchcoats and women donning beautiful dresses with stockings. Everyone appeared just as busy at they did in 2014 however much happier to be busy. To the right of you two men were sitting at a table in front of a small café, drinking coffee and reading the paper. To the left of you a group of young schoolgirls were giggling happily, the younger of the group skipping as they spoke about their middle school crushes. You stepped outside and noticed that your outfit had changed to match the time period, as you now a wore a crimson red dress that flowed down to a bit past your knees. You also had your hair pinned up and wore black mary janes on your feet. You felt timelessly beautiful and smiled to yourself at this unique feeling.

“Follow me!” the blonde said suddenly, pulling your arm to follow him as he ran to the left past the schoolgirls. You ran for only two blocks before coming to a stop outside a pharmacy. He calmly walked into the store and went up to the cashier, you following to stand beside him.

“Hello sir, I was wondering if I could make a purchase of some dark chocolate.” he said, leaning on the counter. You tilted your head at his odd request before the man behind the counter nodded, pulling out a chocolate bar.

“Will your lady need one as well, sir?” he asked, nodding his had at you. 

“Of course!” he wrapped an arm around your waist, pulling you close to his well-built chest. You bit your lip at how warm and strong he felt, easily falling into his side. The cashier handed the two of you the chocolate bars and asked for 74¢. You were about to hand over three quarters, however the man stopped you and handed him the exact amount in change. He thanked the two of you and the blonde lead to to a door where it read “STAFF ONLY” in the back.

“Your coins are from the 2000s, that hasn’t happened yet. Plus we are in 1924. I just paid about ten dollars in today’s currency.” he whispered, placing a light knock on the door. The window opened and a tall man stood, staring down at the shorter. The Doctor grinned and presented the two bars of chocolate and the man behind the door allowed the two of you in. As you descended a staircase to where you heard live music, you gasped in shock.

“Did you just get us into a speakeasy? Are you nuts?” you exclaimed quietly, your eyes wide with disbelief. He nodded, leading you to the bar and pulling a chair out for you.

“So? What’s the worst that can happen?” he sat down and hailed a bartender. “Hello, good man. Would you care to fetch me a tall glass of cranberry juice? With a wedge of lemon too, please. And for the lovely lady, she’ll have a glass of orange juice with extra orange.” he smirked at you and tossed three dimes down on the table. The bartender gave him an odd look but took the coins and began to make your drinks. 

“Isn’t the point of going to a speakeasy to get your hands on alcohol? I think you just defeated the purpose.” you stated, warming up to his odd personality. He laughed and shook his head in the negative.

“I just like the parties. Everyone here is so happy. The band is playing, the people are dancing, and the workers are doing something they like. Not like your modern-day, where music isn’t performed live, people don’t dance because they can’t, and people are stuck in jobs they hate. I come for the happiness, I don’t need alcohol.” he finished, basking in the warmth of the speakeasy. You bit your lip as you ran your eyes over him, losing yourself in his handsomeness. You couldn’t help yourself! You had not a single drop of a cocktail and you already felt drunk over how hot he was. You managed to bring yourself back to reality before he noticed your stare.

“Let’s dance.” he commanded, taking your hand like a gentleman and leading you onto the floor. You giggled and took both of his hands, dancing like the other couples did that surrounded you. You swung your hips and allowed him to twirl you every now and then. His hands guided you to the rhythm and helped you quickly look like you were from this era. By the time the song was finished,you were giggling over how much fun the foxtrot was compared to grinding on unknown boys at a club in 2014.

“You’re quite the dancer, eh? Can you sing, too?” you asked, adjusting to the new song. He blushed a pale pink and nodded.

“I don’t like to be boastful, but I do love singing. I’d say that it is one of my talents besides for being able to travel wherever and whenever.” he smiled at you, twirling you around.

“Sing for me, then. I bet from all that traveling you do you know this song.” you laughed, leaning down to press your forehead to his. He sighed and began to sing softly, his voice sounding like everything beautiful and wonderful and amazing. He stopped singing once the song finished and pulled away, a faint grin on his face. 

You looked into his eyes and noticed that they held incredible depths, unlike any other. They were filled with unlimited memories, both good and bad. His eyes of hot chocolate were filling you to the brim with something that could only be described as the feeling of falling in love. You wanted to kiss him so badly, too. He had perfectly pink lips that were beginning to be kissed. Just as you were beginning to lean in, a loud whistle sounded throughout the room.

A group of policemen had stormed in through the door. The strange man grabbed your hand and pulled you out the back door, narrowly missing the flood. Loud shouts and yells were heard from the building as the policemen ordered everyone to put their hands behind their heads because ‘the jig was up’. You ran for your life until you miraculously made it back to the blue box you had arrived in. You immediately collapsed onto the ground and attempted to catch your breath, the Doctor appearing to not be affected in any way.

“Okay, so where to next?” he nonchalantly asked, flipping switches. You stood up and leaned against the railing tilting your head at him.

“Are you crazy? We just got nearly arrested! In 1924! I want to go home!” you crossed your arms, giving him  a stern look. The blonde strolled over to you and ran a finger across your cheek, the heart-warming smile appearing on his lips once more.

“Then tell me why your heart is racing so incredibly fast, pumping with blood that is absolutely filled with adrenaline, begging you for more because it felt so freaking good.” he tilted his head, looking into your eyes. “Tell me.” You sighed loudly in defeat.

“I want to go to Easter Island and makes friends with the Rapa Nui tribe.” you finally said. The blonde laughed and returned to his controls, sending to the two of you off onto another adventure.