Closer

Daehyun's First Sensibility

Between their first japan tour and the other schedules to promote in their neighbors' country, they had to start the production of their first full album.

Yongguk was so giddy to work on this and he put so much effort in it, that he sometimes didn't sleep for days. No wonder that he had to breath through a mask after some concerts, because his body was telling him to take it slow.

Daehyun appreciated the leader's hard work, but he was very worried too. Even though he worked as hard and strained his voice for the sake of this album, he felt like Yongguk pushed himself ten times more.

They would always end up being the last in the recording studio, the others' having done their job for the day and leaving to get some food or rest and relax their bodies and minds. But not Yongguk and Daehyun. It became a habit for them to stay behind and sometimes work on four songs at the same time and do it all over even though Yongguk seemed satisfied at first. But both of them wanted to do better and when the leader wasn't a thousand percent happy with the outcome, Daehyun would try again and again until it was perfect. There was no "okay" or "it's fine" for either of them.

That is why they came to like working with each other. No matter how much they strained the other by wanting to do it all over, they loved doing this. And in a way they loved doing this with one another.

But one day it wasn't going well at all. Daehyun didn't feel good and had trouble with a certain part of a song and got so frustrated he wanted to rip out his vocal chords. Although Yongguk was a very patient person, he soon started to get annoyed at the singer.

"Daehyun! For god's sake!" Yongguk slammed his fist on the table.

"I know, hyung! Ahh!" Daehyun grabbed his headphones and removed them from his ears harshly.

"For the umpteenth time, I said go lower with your voice when reaching that part!" Yongguk's voice got louder. He reached for his head and ruffled through his hear violenty.

"DON'T YOU THINK I KNOW THAT?!" Daehyun yelled at the leader and was about to punch the wall, but he remembered he still needed his hand, so he refrained from doing it and just pumped his fists into the air and screamed.

Yongguk got surprised by that and turned the sound of the recording booth off. He watched Daehyun pointing at him and moving his mouth widely and closing his eyes tight while screaming some more, only it couldn't be heard. Yongguk felt bad for turning the sound off, but Daehyun didn't even notice and just continued throwing a fit.

But then suddenly the vocalist fell silent and just stared at Yongguk for what felt like an eternity. And then Yongguk saw something he would've never thought he would witness.

Daehyun started crying. At first it was a single tear trailing down his cheek, but then more followed and soon he would hide his face in his hands. Yongguk's eyes widened and he didn't know what to do at all, so he the sound again. He heard Daehyun sob really loud and that's when instinct took over. He got up from his chair and moved to the booth, opening the door.

"Yah..." Yongguk said with a low cautious voice.

Daehyun turned around, so he faced the wall, not wanting to show his face.

"I-I... a-and..." the vocalist started, but the words would just come out randomly through hiccups.

"It's okay, Daehyun." Yongguk came closer, raising his hand to put on Daehyun's shoulder, but he hesitated for a moment.

When the younger let out another sob, he finally placed the hand on his shoulder and squeezed it lightly.

"It really is okay, Daehyun. I think we are both overworked and said things we didn't mean." The leader tried to move Daehyun around, looking at the other. "Come on. Let's go home now." Yongguk grabbed Daehyun's wrist and tugged at it to make him show his face.

Daehyun let his hands fall down, Yongguk still holding onto one arm. "Okay." He moved the free hand back to his face and wiped away the tears.

Still holding onto Daehyun, he guided them out of the booth and to the couch outside, where they had left their belongings.

Yongguk made the younger sit down on it while he turned off the recording system and the computers. When he looked at Daehyun he saw the younger slumped down, his eyes focused on his hands in his lap. He had never seen the vocalist like this.

That's when he noticed that all this time he thought Daehyun was the lighthearted, smiley vocalist, he was actually a complicated and very sensitive person.

"Hyung..." Daehyun still had his head lowered and his voice was almost not audible and a bit raspy from all the yelling.

"Mh?"

"Can you not-"

"I won't tell anybody. Let's get something to eat." Yongguk grabbed their bags and waited for Daehyun to get up. "Maybe ramyun?" He gave Daehyun a small smile when the other finally looked up.

"Okay."

 

Although they were used to sharing rooms with their respective best friend in the group, it happened to be Yongguk and Daehyun in one room after another successful but also stressful concert day.

Yongguk was having his asthma again and Daehyun was losing his voice. And because no one could afford another person feeling sick, the patients were put in one room for the night.

The leader was told to use the oxygen mask for at least another half hour when they came back from the concert hall, where the paramedics had checked up on him. So he was now sitting on his bed, holding that ugly mask to his face and breathing in slowly. He just wanted to take a shower and go to bed, but his damn lungs were against him.

Across the room Daehyun was lying in his bed, the covers pulled up to his chin. It looked like he had catched a cold and it wasn't just a raspy voice.

"Are you okay?" Daehyun asked, almost not audible.

"Stop talking and take some rest." Yongguk said, his voice muffled through the mask. He was okay, but it seemed like the vocalist wasn't, worrying the leader.

"I would, but..." Daehyun gulped and cringed his eyes, because it hurt too much, so he motioned for the oxygen machine next to Yongguk.

"Oh..." The leader removed the mask and turned the machine off. "Sorry."

"But you need it..." Daehyun now whispered.

"It's fine. Now rest." Yongguk moved to turn out the lights, so they could go to sleep.

 

When Yongguk woke up, it wasn't because the alarm was ringing or Kang trying to get them out of bed, but because he heard Daehyun whimper in his sleep. The whimpers soon turned into moans out of pain and Yongguk got quite concerned. So he slowly removed the covers and got out of his bed to check on the younger. He couldn't use a sick vocalist for the concert tomorrow.

Daehyun was still wrapped in his blankets and only his forehead was sticking out. Yongguk felt his head and he got a shock, when he noticed how hot Daehyun was.

"." Yongguk walked up and down the dark room, holding his hand against his own forehead and thinking about what to do. Should he get Kang? Or maybe call a doctor? But it was the middle of the night and he was in a foreign country. His japanese was still bad. So he did the only thing he could think of. He moved to his night drawer and picked up his phone. He searched on the internet for methods to bring the fever down quickly.

He read through the results and found some good information. He had to remove the thick blanket from Daehyun and get him a warm wet cloth to cover his forehead.

Yongguk went back to Daehyun's bed and tugged at the blanket. But the vocalist held onto the blanket and wouldn't let go.

"Daehyun. Please, this will help." Yongguk whispered and Daehyun only answered in what sounded like more whimpers.

He finally got the blanket removed and threw it on the floor. He then moved to the drawer and searched for something that was thin and big enough to go as a blanket. He found a big towel and put it on top of a shivering Daehyun. He was sweating heavily and moving back and forth.

"Oh damn..." Yongguk ran to the bathroom and wetted a washing cloth with warm water. He also got a bowl of warm water and went back to the bedroom with both things in his hands. He put the bowl on top of the drawer next to Daehyun's bed, moving the lamp and his tissues aside to make space for it.

"Okay, Daehyun. I got this... I think." Daehyun cringed when the wet cloth was placed on his forehead, but he soon eased up a bit. Yongguk renewed the cloth everytime it got cold and soon Daehyun opened his eyes.

"Hyung?" Daehyun's voice sounded really bad and Yongguk hoped he would be okay for the concert.

"Sh. It's okay. Sleep."

"Drink-"

"I'll bring you something." Yongguk got up and searched for their water boiler. He knew Daehyun well enough to know, that he needed a hot lemon right now. Lots of it, because he couldn't afford to lose his voice.

He found the boiler in a kitchen cabinet under the sink. He was glad they had a small kitchen in their hotel room, because he loved to eat his ramyun without anybody seeing it. He knew they had to diet, but he could and never would stop eating his ramyun. So he started to fill the boiler with water and turned it on.

He went back to the bedroom, because he remembered a fruit basket on the round table and hoped it would inherit at least one lemon. To his luck there were three of them and he grabbed them all and rushed to the kitchen, where the water was already boiling. He cut the lemons with a sharp knife and pressed some of the juice into a cup and then adding the hot water.

Knowing that it would be too hot to drink right away, he also got a glass of cold water for the vocalist. He found a tablet and placed everything on there and balanced it back to their room.

Daehyun was shivering underneath the thin blanket and cringed his eyes together in pain. Yongguk came closer and checked on the cloth resting on his forehead. It was cold again, but also the water in the bowl, so he filled it with a bit of the boiling water for the hot lemon and renewed the cloth.

After that he helped Daehyun sit up and drink some. The vocalist was visibly having a hard time swallowing and with every gulp he would cringe his face.

"What are you doing? Why did you have to get sick now?" Yongguk said with a low voice, not in any way accusing, but just feeling bad for Daehyun who had to probably sing in this state. They couldn't cancel the concert now and they couldn't just let Daehyun stay behind. He was the main vocalist and they needed him.

"I-I'm..." Daehyun touched his throat and scrunched his face. "... sorry." 

"It's not your fault. But I don't know what to do if you can't perform with us tomorrow. I-... We need you!" Yongguk cleared his throat, wondering where that just came from. Well of course he needed Daehyun, he was the main singer in this group. But his words somehow had another conotation he himself couldn't classify. "Just... rest. Okay? You don't have to come to the rehearsal tomorrow. Just drink the hot lemon and lots of water and keep away from thick blankets. It won't make it better - I checked it up on the internet!" Yongguk said proudly and at Daehyun's confused look on his face, Yongguk noticed how stupid the remark was. "Never mind." Yongguk rubbed his neck, looking around the room and after some moments of deciding what to do he got up from Daehyun's bed and went back to his own.

When he was finally under his covers, he heard Daehyun's scratchy voice saying something that sounded like "thank you". Yongguk looked up to the ceiling and a small smile crept onto his face.

He really hoped Daehyun would feel better the next day.

 

Their busy schedules kept them from talking about anything that had gotten them closer and in situations no one would ever say out loud in the prescence of another member or the staff. But the way they looked at each other knowingly, trying to be normal but always cautious, it was no wonder people thought they'd become even more awkward around another. The members thought it was because of what happened at the Weekly Idol broadcast, but the two knew better.

Yongguk had kept quiet about seeing Daehyun cry and he would continue doing so. Even though they had never talked about it, not the first time and especially not the second time when even Kang ordered him not to, Yongguk kind of knew why Daehyun was like this. 

They had a lot more in common than he thought they had and he slowly grew more fond of the other. He not only respected Daehyun for his work ethics, but also his will to stay strong and not show his inner feelings to everybody. Yongguk knew this all too well. 

 

All six members were sitting around a table, staff, managers, production team and the CEO present to discuss their world tour. Yongguk was so happy to go back to America and finally go to other countries outside Asia. He wanted to meet all his fans from abroad and he was giddy to get started. He happened to sit next to Daehyun, who seemed as excited as him.

"Okay, guys. Let's discuss the song list for the show." The executive producer held a sheet of paper up and waved it around for everyone to see. "We have the concept of 'Earth needs...' and the posters were already a great success. We got so many people taking part in the game to win that price! Now let's come up with a good show!"

Everybody in the room started clapping and then they began thinking about how to bring the show about.

"How about we sort our songs according to the posters we did and have a special VCR for every 'Need'?" Yongguk suddenly suggested. "Actually that was what I had in mind when I brought to mind the idea for the six words on the posters." 

The executive producer looked at Yongguk for a moment, before looking at the CEO, who nodded in agreement and when Yongguk saw approval coming from both sides he smiled happily.

"Can we have solo stages again?" Jongup, who normally never talked during those meetings, was now half leaning over the table and looking at everyone with excitement. "I wanna do a dance performance!" 

"Oh yeah, that's a good idea, I wanna do that too!" Zelo added and smiled brightly.

"Okay guys, let's think about which songs to pick first and then the special stages. I think we should go with 2 or 3 songs per 'Need' as this will already be a lot to perform! Plus your solos and the occassional encore, this will be a really long concert."

"Do you guys think you can handle this?" Kang asked from behind. Yongguk turned around and nodded at his manager.

"Yeah we can do this." Daehyun suddenly said and smiled at the crew and then at Kang. Yongguk looked at Daehyun from the side and without knowing what he was doing he squeezed the vocalists' thigh affectionally.

The younger looked down in surprise and widened his eyes at Yongguk's hand on his thigh. That's when the leader noticed and removed his hand quickly, his ears turning red. He hoped no one had seen this action, but everyone was too immersed in discussing the song list and the course of the concert.

Both of them didn't dare look at each other for the rest of the day and when they finally came back to their dorm they went in different directions, making sure not to cross their ways.