Awkwardness

Daehyun's First Sensibility

He was standing on stage next to s, waiting for the announcement of the winner. His nerves were on the edge of crippling and making him a wobbly mess. But he kept his cool. And then he heard their group name.

"Ah yes! B.A.P, Angel. Congratulations!"

He saw Yongguk going up to the front and receiving the trophy, indicating that they really had won today's Show Champion. Their first win in two years. He didn't know what to do and for a second he forgot to move, before he joined the others and listened to Yongguk thanking everybody in their life who had helped the six boys to get where they were now.

Daehyun was really good at one thing. Despite being extremely emotional, he could always keep his cool and just smile brightly at the world. And that was what he did when he was standing on that stage and receiving their first award. Well, it wasn't exactly their first award. They had won a lot of Rookie awards before and he was so grateful for every single one of them, but winning on a music show nowadays meant so much, because you had to literally fight for first place with so many good artists. And winning this meant they were better than the others. Which he thought they really weren't, he just knew his - their - fans did their utmost to have them win and it made him proud.

When they won the second time on Music Bank, he stood next to Yongguk, showing the world his brightest smile and he was close to crying, but he couldn't let his guard down. Not next to his hyung, who he wanted to be strong for and not in front of an audience and a live camera. He bent forward several times, covering his mouth that had started to hurt from smiling so brightly. He didn't know what to do or feel and was inwardly grateful for their leader to be the one talking.

After both wins they were going backstage and greated by their manager, staff members and coordi noonas, who were equally proud of them. But even then Daehyun kept his tears in. They celebrated like it was christmas and their birthdays all at once and even though they had a busy schedule the next day, they didn't care and just went with the joy of it all.

It was long past midnight, when Manager Kang finally brought them back to their dorm to get at least a bit of sleep. Even when it was only two hours.

Yongguk was seated in the front as always, looking down at their Music Bank trophy and smiling to himself. Himchan was giddy reading all the congratulation messages on twitter and the younger members were already in slumber land. Even the always hyper Youngjae was resting his head on Daehyun and letting out mumbled nonsensual words in his sleep. Soon Himchan too drifted off to get some rest.

Daehyun on the other hand was wide awake and he felt like his whole being would burst soon. He couldn't make out if Yongguk was awake or not, but the tears he held in till now were suddenly rolling down his cheeks.

He hated how sensitive he actually was and how he had always put so many emotions in his singing that he started to sob almost every time and then his friends would make fun of him. He got that under control when he started training for the debut and he was glad that the only predebut video of him doing such a heartfelt performance didn't show his face in HD and he could get away with just being very emotional and deep and not a crybaby singing his heart out.

Daehyun knew his fans thought of him as the loud, fast talking and playboyish guy. But he really wasn't like that - at all. Okay yes he liked how he looked and he was a bit proud of himself and how his hard work out paid off. But he wasn't a narcissist and he cared a lot about what others thought about him. He was actually really self conscious and it hurt him, when he read something mean on twitter or somewhere else.

Kang looked in the rearview mirror and he knew this kind of behaviour all too well, that's why he kept silent and just let Daehyun be Daehyun. Sometimes he would accompany him and stay by his side on their way to a schedule and make sure he was alright, because he knew about the boys' emotional state. Funny how fans started to like seeing them together and claiming them as close friends. Well, somehow it was like that. But it was more of a brotherly relationship. He liked being their manager and today he was exeptionally proud of them all.

Daehyun tried to keep his sobs low and looked out the window onto the streets. He was glad the glass was tinted and no one could see the state he was in. He also was glad that he got his contact lenses out of his eyes beforehand. He hoped his senses would come back to him before they reached the dorm and no one would notice his puffy eyes underneath his glasses. But even if someone noticed he would just claim he was really tired and needed some rest.

Once in a while he would look up to the front to exchange glances with Kang and assure him that he's alright, but the next time he did he suddenly looked into the eyes of their leader.

In shock, Daehyun turned his head back to the van's window and hoped Yongguk would look up to the front again and forget about it. But his wish wasn't granted.

"Dae, a-are you alright?"

Yongguk and Daehyun had a complicated relationship from the very first day they met. Equally talented and both very shy - which wasn't very obvious from their live stage images - had trouble becoming closer. It wasn't about them not liking each other, it was more about them liking each other too much and having the same personality. They were always awkward around each other and had this kind of distant respect for one another.

Even though neither of them would ever say this out loud to their beloved Himchan, but his injury during their One Shot promotions helped them a lot to get closer. Fans noticed, the staff noticed and especially the members noticed that the two got along a lot better and were more easy going when around each other. But still, they kept some kind of distance and the members always noticed the kind of awkwardness surrounding the two.

And now here they were, the awkward ones in a very sensitive and rare moment, having to deal with something they didn't know how to handle.

Yongguk had no idea what to say to Daehyun or how to comfort him. He was shocked, when he saw the younger in the mirror, tears flowing down his cheeks and his eyeliner smudging underneath the thick glasses from the contact with the back of Daehyun's hand. So when he turned around and wanted to check on his fellow member he didn't expect Daehyun to look right back at him, making Yongguk blurt out the only reasonable thing he could think of.

When the words were out and Daehyun turned away, visibly ashamed, Yongguk felt even more uneasy and lost. Should he just turn around and pretend nothing happened or maybe ask again? He shifted his gaze to Kang and he saw him shaking his head so Yongguk turned around one last time to look at Daehyun and then back to the front.

Daehyun wanted to die right on the spot. He never let his guard down in front of any of the members. No matter how close they were, the only people who saw him cry were his family and Kang. And their manager was already a great exception. He hoped that Yongguk wouldn't try to ask about this matter again and just let it be, because it wouldn't help their relationship one bit. They just had become closer over the production of their first full album and Daehyun didn't want this to be ruined by such an awkward situation. A guy crying in a car full of other guys. Great.

He tried really hard not to sob even louder and bang his head against the window.

 

As soon as they were in front of the dorm, Daehyun was the first out of the van, not caring for waking Youngjae and the others, because he had to climb out of the back to get outside.

Yongguk watched Daehyun from inside and looked at Kang again.

"Is he alright?"

"Yeah. He's just really fed up with all the emotions inside him. You know, he tries to hide his sensitivity in front of you guys. Especially you, Gukkie. He admires you and this situation just now made him feel mortified. So don't ask about it, okay?" Kang padded Yongguk's shoulder and waited until all of them were out of the van to park it in the garage under the building.

Little did Kang know, that Yongguk had already seen Daehyun cry before and his concern was actually about him getting so fed up more than once.

 

The next few days went by with no further events and soon both Daehyun and Yongguk had forgotten about what happened that night. They were all too busy to be thinking about private matters. They had constant schedules, performances, radio and tv show appearances, special occassions and their next world tour was coming up for which they had to train.

Today was the recording for Weekly Idol and they all were excited to be on the show again as it was always fun to be with Doni and Koni, even when they were humiliated in front of millions of viewers. But no one cared, because it was just for the sake of some good laughs and a happy audience.

Back in the dressing room, Yongguk and Daehyun sat next to each other. Both busy being prepped for their appearance. Some retouches here, a bit of bb cream there and good to go.

When Daehyun looked at Yongguk through the mirror, he gave the leader a short smile and got off from the chair, before sitting down next to Youngjae.

Himchan came up behind Yongguk and noticed that their silent leader was exceptionally silent today.

"Everything okay? Don't forget to be loud and funny today or you'll get picked at by Doni!" Himchan said with a bright smile, grabbing both Yongguk's shoulders and shaking him lightly. "We know you're Mr. Shy Guy, but today it's Bright Guy, okay?" Himchan winked at the leader in the mirror and squeezed his shoulders one more time before letting go and joining the two youngest in the corner, who were watching something funny on Junhong's iphone.

Yongguk looked at himself in the mirror adjusting his beanie he was wearing and ruffling through his bangs that got longer by the day which he hated so much - but the fans loved it so he kept it long. He stood up from his chair and right at that moment the PD noona came in to tell them to get ready and they all lined up at the door to go out into the studio.

They all were standing in front of the white set, listening to their introduction and cracking up at the jokes. When it was finally their turn to appear on screen, they jumped on set and made their funny entrance.

Even though the group ended up standing and sitting in their respective ages, Daehyun ended up standing next to Yongguk. And although they didn't do it on purpose, they would always keep some distance between them. No matter if it meant Daehyun would slightly move the other way or that they would avert each others gazes. They kept their smiles on and had quite the fun during the show, but everyone who had a close eye on them could notice these things. Especially when Yongguk stared at Daehyun during the random dance part.

In their awkwardness they were perfectly in sync. Standing the same, doing the same hand motions, looking at the other when the other wasn't, moving away from a spot when the other was going there. Things only visible for die hard fans and people who knew them quite well. Sometimes both would forget about all this and have so much fun they even laughed together and touch the other randomly.

Daehyun and Yongguk would never forget to smile and it was no lie when they would say they had a lot of fun.

It was going really well, even after Yongguk's humiliation of his low introduction and the tiring random dance section. But then he ended up holding hands with the one member he was the most awkward with.

They were playing a game where they had to make the other member fall by pushing their forehead and Yongguk and Daehyun neither expected to end up as the finalists. Daehyun let out a sigh and Yongguk even said out loud that he wondered how he got there.

Of course it wouldn't be Weekly Idol, if they wouldn't have to do some kind of fan service. In a way it was Himchan's and Youngjae's fault, because they didn't miss to point out that the two finalits were the most awkward in the group.

Daehyun didn't really know why he said it, but to make their awkwardness even more aware to the outside world he pointed out - mainly looking at s - that he never had touched his leader's forehead before.

So while Yongguk and Daehyun prepared for the game, making sure to avert their eyes, Doni suddenly asked them to hold hands and look at each other.

That's when Daehyun again felt the urge to say something out loud, namely that it wasn't that awkward after all. But everyone knew that it wasn't like that.

So when they did finally look into each others' eyes they both started to laugh uncontrollably, making the whole set crack up.

No one really noticed both of them saying they're okay, but they surely weren't.

When they gathered themselves again and held each others hands once more, Daehyun visibly had a hard time keeping it together.

Yongguk started pointing out the hardships Daehyun must've had while recording and that he reduced the high notes for him. For the outside this seemed like a random talk, but both knew Yongguk actually meant it, because he knew that Daehyun was straining his voice a lot and getting sick constantly.

For the audience it was just a cheesy remark, making both their ears turn read during the action, indicating for the others the awkwardness. But for the two holding hands it was an inner turmoil to be having such a talk in front of so many people.

When Koni asked what Yongguk was talking about, Daehyun used that moment to let go and jump around to get himself together, because this was really getting embarrassing. But as soon as Yongguk held out his hands he immediately grabbed them again, both forgetting that they should be hesistant about this.

Daehyun didn't know what to say so he said the only thing that came to his mind, that Yongguk did a good job with the album - which was true. Daehyun could've said something else, something more private, but he didn't want to say what he really felt during a show recording.

And then something happened that took both by surprise. In a moment of affection, Yongguk hugged Daehyun. It only lasted two seconds and soon after they were standing a few meters away from each other, complaining and talking themselves out of this awkwardness. But inside, both of them were having some emotional troubles. Having to deal with butterflies and some kind of nervousness they couldn't and shouldn't show.

After that they still had to do the game, so with red ears and embarrassment written on their faces, they proceeded with it and Yongguk ended up winning.

The price was special meat and Yongguk regretted winning, because he knew Daehyun's love for food. Even after that stressful moment, he still thought about the younger member. Daehyun was sitting on his chair again, showing jealousy and greed for the food. But in all honesty, at that moment his entire body was shaking and the only thing he wanted was talk to the leader and say what he really wanted to say when they held hands.

The rest of the show both would go with the flow and laugh and react, but Yongguk would constantly look down on his lap when sitting, or going to the back and then focus back on the action that was going on. Daehyun on the other hand got really immersed in what was going on and he visibly had a lot of fun. At one point he would even get Yongguk's glass of water and drink a sip, suddenly remembering what this meant he got back to his senses. Every time the two got closer they would make sure to put a gap between them again.

When the show finally ended they quickly went back to the dressing room and got their belongings. Both of them were busy putting their jackets on and stuffing their backpacks, when Youngjae and Himchan started to laugh out loud and reminisce in today's recording.

"I wonder if they will really sing the part of 1004 on their respective shows!"

"Yeah yeah! Oh my. I cannot wait to see the broadcast! Especially Bang leaders' and Daehyunnies' encounter! So awkward haha!" Youngjae was getting really excited and pointed at the two members.

"Did you see them? They both turned red, so funny!" Himchan's voice got louder and louder.

Both Daehyun and Yongguk cringed at the remarks and tried not to look at each other.

When the excitement finally died down, the four members left the room, leaving the leader and Daehyun behind.

The latter was busy removing his contacts again, hoping no fans would see them, because no one should know he still had to wear glasses.

Yongguk was sitting on the couch, looking at the black screen of his phone, thinking of what had happened today. Before he could say something, Kang suddenly came in and pointed out that they would leave in five minutes. The leader got up from the couch and grabbed his bag, sliding his phone into the front pocket of his jacket. He looked at Daehyun who was putting on his glasses and stuffing his contact lenses into his backpack.

"You know. You look good in glasses." Yongguk cringed at his own comment, wanting to facepalm himself quickly making his way to the door.

He didn't expect Daehyun to follow him though and grab his wrist.

"Hyung, the thing I said earlier. That wasn't everything. But I couldn't- because- and the cameras..." Daehyun let out a deep sigh.

Yongguk concentrated on the doorknob in his hand, fully aware of Daehyun's hand around his wrist.

"It's fine. I mean- everything. Uh... you know last time in the van..."

Daehyun suddenly let go of Yongguk and was about to grab the doorknob, when he noticed he was putting his hand above Yongguks. They both stared at their hands, standing next to each other and the air getting stiff.

Daehyun removed his hand and cleared his throat, before letting out a short "Mhm". Yongguk opened the door without saying anything further and Daehyun slipped through it, leaving the older behind.

He stood there for another second, before opening the door more and moving out, closing it again behind him.

 

_________________________________

Okay so this is a lot of... nothing... haha. Yeah I know this is super awkward - just like those two xD but this is just a build up for part 2 (and maybe 3?) of this short fic. I still have to pick up on the things that happened at the concert - with Dae crying and Bang praising Dae and some other stuff.. so~ please anticipate! BANGDAE LOVE <3

Oh and about the glasses - I have no idea if this is correct, cuz no one ever sees Dae with glasses. But he had some predebut and I constantly see him cringing his eyes and rolling them which is a common thing to do for people with contact lenses, so I think he still has glasses for when he's at the dorm maybe. I don't know. I just wanted Dae+glasses xD