02

Crap.

a/n: warning: mild cursing

p.s: I really love arrogant!Jongin a lot /laughs

             If Yixing were to describe in four words what his life is, it would be ‘My life is ed.’ Ever since the quick phone call with Jongin, he’s been sitting on the same couch, staring at Kris’ artwork (thankfully it wasn’t one that Kris made) he gave him when it was his birthday, pondering over why he gets into these awkward social situations. He has no desire to get involved with anyone from his company or their family members; he wouldn’t even get involved with the bosses’ son if the boss demanded him to, even if there was an annual bonus and a promotion in stake.

            But wait, Yixing did get involved with his bosses’ son without even getting told to.

            Boy is he ed.

            Yixing knows he should say no. He knows he should decline, say something like ‘I made plans with my friends last week and I completely forgot about it until they called me a few minutes ago!’ or just not say anything and hope he doesn’t run into Jongin, ever. Like that’ll happen. If he’s the son of his boss, chances are he’ll swing by the office from time to time or he’ll be at the office full-time because he’ll be working at the company. There is no way he can get out of this, not at all.

            Maybe he should just quit his job. It’s only one dial away to the office. All he has to do is say ‘Hey, I know I called earlier to say I’m taking the day off, but I’m calling again to say I’m quitting. Bye!’ It’s such an easy thing to think of. The reality is, they’ll laugh and say ‘Haha, Yixing, that’s funny! You’ve been working here for about three years, a couple more years and you’ll be as important as the manager!” or, if he did say he was serious and he did quit, Kris would call him right away and shake his slender finger in front of Yixing’s eyes, going on a rampage about how ‘We promised each other that we’re in this together,’ and remind Yixing of their promises they made of making a life for themselves in a new country and talk Yixing’s ears off.

            There really is no way out of this. By the time Yixing is almost done with his debate against himself, it’s an hour before the date (is it alright to call it a date if he doesn’t even want to go? It feels more like he’s being forced to go, rather than wanting to go). Once he’s in the bedroom, he grabs his blue dress shirt, black tie, and black pants, changing into them as he navigates through the house to clean himself up, like brushing his teeth and styling his hair. After collecting yesterday’s clothes and carelessly dumping it into the laundry hamper, he puts his jacket on and heads for the door.

            He’s about to walk out when he bumps his head against a body part. Yixing thinks it’s a nose, or a chin.

            “Nice, great to see you missed me.” Yixing looks up to see Kris with a scowling expression on his face, eyebrows perked up and lips turned down.

            “Sorry Kris. Kris?”

            “Yes, it’s Kris. I’m right here. You can see me; this isn’t another one of your dreams.”

            “No, I mean yeah, I know you’re Kris. What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

            “I came by after I heard you weren’t at work. I brought you chicken soup and tea.”

            “I’m not sick though?”

            “I can see that.”

           “Right.” Silence follows, both of them looking anywhere but each other to make it less awkward than it really is.

            “Anyway,” Kris coughs, clearing his throat, “I guess you’re alright. I was worried because you never miss a day of work so I thought you might’ve been sick.”

            “Kris, I’m fine,” Yixing laughs at Kris’ behavior. He’s a great friend, a huge flirt, and the way Kris worries about Yixing ever since they’ve met has always been cute to Yixing. Of course, he doesn’t see him in a romantic way because, come on, Kris is always with somebody new every week. It’s impossible to keep up with someone who won’t ever slow down.

            “Do you have somewhere to be? I don’t want to be a bother if you were about to go out.”

            “I actually don’t want to go. It’s bothersome, really.”

            “Bothersome?”

          “More nervous than bothersome. I want to go. It just seems really tiring. I haven’t seen him for about five days.”

            “Are you talking about President Yang’s step son? The ten? The one who came to the office today?”

            “He came to the office?”

            “Yeah,  but that’s not the point so forget I said that. The point is, why don’t you want to go out on a date, which is probably free of expenses, with a guy who scores off my hotness scale? He’s more than a ten.”

            “Everything isn’t about looks,” Yixing rolls his eyes.

            “Tsk,” Kris clicks his tongue, “Think of it as a free dinner. Hurry up, get your in your car and drive to wherever you have to meet him and have a good time. Even if you two don’t become a thing, think of it as gaining a friend.”

            “Gee, thanks Kris for making me think I’m already friend zoned. You’re a fantastic guy.”

            “That’s my job. I’ll be in your house eating my chicken soup and drinking my tea and will stay up until you come home so you can tell me everything. I’ll see you later, Xing.”

            On that note, Kris walks past Yixing and straight into the house, locking the door. He yells a “Hurry and leave! Don’t forget to use protection!”

            Yixing’s eyes meet with his neighbor, a lovely, old lady by the name of Mrs. Park, and swore, at that moment, he has never been this embarrassed as he is now to have a friend like Kris. He took Kris’ advice anyway, not because Kris is his best friend since he was a fetus (him and his mom are best friends since high school). It’s because what Kris said was right. Yeah, maybe he and Jongin will never pass the stage of friends. It was a one-time deal. It won’t happen again.

            Right?

            Yixing went into the restaurant, swallowing his opinion of one-night stands and marched right into the place. He has nothing left to lose.

            Right?

            He was quickly escorted by a flustered waiter, who seemed more nervous than Yixing probably was. He wondered how it’s possible for someone to be more nervous than he was and that’s when he saw Jongin. His chin was propped on his hand, elbow resting on top of the table. His other hand tapped the table in irritation. Jongin’s eyes snapped open when he heard the waiter tell him his guest was here.

            Yixing quickly loosened his tie. This was going to be one long night.

            “You’re pretty lax on time,” Jongin sat up straight. He crossed his legs in a highly manner, his hands interlocking on top of the table.

            “Yeah,” Yixing let out a shaky laugh, “It’s been a long day.”

            “Really? What were you doing today?”

            “You know, work.”

            “All day?”

            “Yeah, all day. Work is tough, but I have to make a living!” Yixing tried his best to be cheerful and careful with his words, putting on his brightest smile. Jongin, however, did not seem to be amused. He seemed as if he were mentally burning Yixing at the stake, alive.

            “That’s funny. I was supposed to meet with a Zhang Yixing today about a few things at an office, but he wasn’t there.”

            “Oh, really?” Crap, this is really bad. Yixing is screwed big time. Why did he just remember Kris saying that Jongin came to the office today? And why did he forget that the boss told him he was going to have someone swing by to talk to him about statistics?

            “Yes, really,” Jongin leaned forward, “And you weren’t at your own workplace.”

            Yixing hummed a reply. He also silently prayed for his life.

            “By chance, you aren’t the same Zhang Yixing, right?”

            Yixing got up from his seat and did what Yixing would do in this situation.

            He ran as fast as he could out of the restaurant and to his car and drove back to his house. He didn’t even care that he might have broken the speed limit half of the time.