Chapter 6

Time Waits For No One

“ Woah... Jangmi noona must have really love him huh? “ asked Sehun.

“Of course she loves him, we do too. Still do. Thinking bout it makes me think how unfair this world is. He had a chance of living,he even had the perfect kidney match. Do you know it’s not even easy to find a perfect match? He was lucky enough to have found it but he just didn’t made it through the operation.” Lay said softly while trying to brush off the sad memory.

“But we all know he’s in a better place now, because he no longer needs to suffer.” Minzy said with a soft smile.

Sehun gave a nod and lay down on his bed while thinking bout Jangmi,how she went through all the pain of losing someone close and how she changed because of the incident.  Somehow Sehun had this urge to see the real and old Jangmi but he’s not sure how is that gonna happen. He thought of Jangmi the whole time he laid down until he soon fell asleep.

 

*  *  *

“Oppa,I’m here. I just got back from the hospital,it’s painful and tiring as always though I’m still alive right?” Jangmi said with a chuckle while she slowly sat down on the grass next to Luhan’s tomb.

Jangmi has been visiting Luhan’s grave everyweek ever since he left. There were times when she even went everyday for a week. She knew he was no longer in this world but she felt like only he understood how she always felt so she would always visit his grave and talk hours with him. Although she’s close friends with Lay,Minzy and Amber somehow she just shut everyone out ever since he left.

“There was a new kid today, I think he’s younger than me though, I’m not sure either.Remember how we always welcome the newbies in our ward and kept gaving them advice and encouragement?” Jangmi said with a small smile and softly laughed.

“Those were the days eh oppa?And no, I don’t want to those things to the new kid,or to any newbie. You know how we talked bout this before.It’s just no longer the same without you.” She said as she slowly wiped his tiled grave.

Jangmi always seem to know what he would answer, whenever she visited his grave,she talks to him as if he’s there. There were times when she went to visit his grave with his parents, they can’t seem to understand how she talks him as if he’s answering back to her. There are times when the felt like she was losing it when she’s talking to his grave but at the same time she’s pretty much sane. They were no one to judge, they love her as much as if she was their own daughter.

Two hours had passed and the sun starts to set. “Ahh...I wish you were here oppa...everything was so much easier when you were here you know?” Jangmi said while looking at his grave.

“If only you were here...How am I ever going to live like I used to?” Jangmi said as she shook away the grass from her pants and slowly walked away.

 

*  *  *

 

“Hi, I’m here to volunteer for the day.” A young man said to one of the nurse on duty.

“Ah,you must be Do Kyungsoo from Konsei Hospital am I right?” the nurse answered.

“Yes I am.” The round eyed boy answered softly.

“Well nice to meet you, I’m the head nurse of this hospital, my name is Ms. Oh Jin Hee. Now would you  follow me, I’ll show you around the hospital and what you could help with” the nurse answered as she rose from her desk and lead the way while he followed behind.

Ms. Oh brought him to one of the wards which was the chilrdren’s ward.

“Since you’re new, you can just keep the kids here company. Try talking to a few of them or cheering them up,I’m sure you know how it feels to be sick and lying in bed.” Ms. Oh said as she stood at the door with him.

“Um..about..that..could y-“

“Keep your sickness a secret?Don’t worry I will. Just so you know, there were volunteers before you who were also sick. I think what you guys are doing is wonderful.” She answered with a warm smile.

“Thank you. May I ask though,are there any other volunteers here now?” He asked curious.

“Yes ,they come whenever they can,but almost every week we’ll have at least 2 to 3 volunteers in. But for now,you’re the only who’s having a sickness.” She asnwered bluntly as if reading his mind.

He gave a small nod.

“So Do Kyungsoo ssi, you may try this children’s ward for now, as you get use to the hospital’s surroundings and how thing work around here,you can go around the wards.”

“I see, and you can just call me by my nickname D.o.” He answered.

“D.o?Well alright then. Anyways goodluck on your first day here,if you have any trouble or you need anything,you may find me at the reception.” She answered with a warm smile and walk out of the room.

D.o still stood by the door and looked around the ward. There were 6 kids lying on their beds. Some were asleep so he walk towards the corner of the room trying not to wake the kids.

“What am I suppose to do now...?” He thought to himself. At that very moment he felt a pair of eyes on him. As he turn to see who was staring at him he saw this little boy staring at him.

“Hello,what’s your name?” D.o said as he aproached the kid’s bed.

“My name is Daeho. Park Daeho.What about you ahjussi?” the kid answered while giving a toothy smile.

“Ahjussi? Hey kiddo,do I look that old to you?” D.o laughed and took a chair sitting down beside Daeho’s bed.

“Hehe, so what’s your name hyung?” Daeho asked again.

“My name is Do Kyungsoo but you can just call me D.o hyung. So...how was your treatment?”

“Umm..It’s okay I guess..?It’s painful even though I’ve already done this a few times. I actually thought it will be less painful each time I do it, but it still hurts hyung.”

“Even if it hurts,you must keep going alright Daeho? How long have you been having treatment?”

“Hmm..I’m not sure how many times are there already, I lost count after 10 times. I’ve been diagnosed with lung cancer 6 months ago ,so I’ve been having treatments for these 6 months already. Hyung, aren’t you scared to come near us? Most strangers fear us because they think we’ll spread our disease to them.”

“No I’m nto scared at all. Wanna know why?”

“Why?”

“Coz I’m superman.”

-a moment of pause- “BUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA”

“What?What’s so funny?”

“Hyung I’m 9 years old already, you can’t trick me that easily okay.” Daeho answered still laughing.

D.o gave a small smile,he like seeing Daeho smiling, infact he loves seeing other people smiling. D.o is the kind of boy who put others happiness first even strangers. He felt happy seeing people happy ever since he was young,so ever since then, he’s been talking to strangers and trying his best to make even a person who’s having a rough day smile.

“Okay, you got me” D.o said with a chuckle while putting his hands up as surrender.

“Hehe,but hyung really, why aren’t you scared?” Daeho asked curiosly.

“Why should I be afraid?”

“Well, most people are afraid because they think our disease is contagious.”

“So is it contagious?”

“No it’s not!” Daeho screamed making the other children in the room and the nurse staring at them.

“See, it’s not. So why should I be afraid?” D.o answered with a smile and patted his head. The nurse who was in the room staring at them gave a small smile and a nod to D.o.  “I’ll see you another time okay Daeho? I have to go to the other wards now.”

“Will you be back hyung?”

“Whenever I can I’ll come by okay?”

“Promise to visit me hyung!” Daeho shouted as D.o stepped out the door. D.o then gave a small salute as a sign of promise and walked out of the children’s ward.

The nurse who was in the same ward walked out after him.

“You must be the new volunteer Do Kyungsoo ssi” the nurse said to him.

D.o turned and faced the nurse “Yes I am, and please just call me D.o”

“That was nice of you earlier on. However from what I know,you have a disease too right?”

“Yes I do.”

“Are you going to keep it a secret while volunteering out here?”

D.o paused a moment before he answered. “ Yes that’s what I’m planning to do, so I hope you’ll help me out too Miss..?”

“Oh yeah, I forgot to introduce myself,my name is Park Bom but you can just call me Bom.”

“Oh nice to meet you Bom, and as I was saying, I hope you’ll help me keep it a secret.”

“I will don’t worry.” Bom said with a smile.

“Thank you,by the way,where should I go to next?”  D.o asked relieved that she was willing to help.

“Hmmm, I can take you on a tour around the hospital if you like.”

“Oh really? You would?” His eyes opened bigger in surprise.

“Yes why not? There not many patients today so I’m quite free and I’m more than happy to help volunteers out” Bom said with a smile.

”Thanks a lot Bom” D.o smiled.

Bom lead the way through the halls and stopped at he doors of  each ward explaining to D.o what are each of them for,which doctor is in charge of the wards ect. As they reached the cancer wards, a doctor and nurse ran in. Bom saw them and quickly ran into the ward towards the crowded area. D.o was shocked and didn’t know what to do so he just followed Bom from behind.

“What’s wrong?” Bom asked one of the nurse who was by the bed side helping the doctor who happens to be Dr. Wu.

“It’s Jangmi again,she had a relapsed again.” The nurse answered with sadness in her voice.

D.o walked closer to them, the bed they were at was covered by curtains so he opened them slowly and saw her. The most beautifully breath taking face he has seen in his life. She looked very thin and weak but her simple complexions made her look breathe taking to him. Her face was pale and he can’t help but worry. He was about to step forward but he stopped himself. What was he doing? Why was he feeling worried for someone he just saw? Just then Dr. Wu injected something into her.

”Okay, I’ve injected her,so let’s just let her rest and see how she feels later.  Nurse Choi be sure to check on her every half an hour, check the vitals and give me her statistics each time after. “ Dr. Wu said to the nurse as he signed on Jangmi’s report paper,opened the curtains and walked out of the ward.

“Yes Dr. Wu.” Nurse Choi answered and bowed slightly as he walked out.

Suddenly a shaken male voice spoke, and it was Sehun.He was on his bed just next to Jangmi.

“Nurse,is.. Jangmi noona going to be alright?” He asked with sadness and worry in his eyes. The rest of the patients in the room looked at them too, waiting for an answer. Unlike Sehun, Lay and the rest has seen Jangmi relapsed countless times already. Although they’re quite used to it now but they still worry for her.

“Yes don’t worry she’s going to be find,she’s a strong girl. We just have to monitor her for the time being.” Nurse Choi answered. “ Lay, if you see anything wrong you know what to do.” She said to Lay and he nodded. He was always the one watching over Jangmi. Although he’s going through cancer too, but he’s the most healthiest among them all in the ward and he tends to watch over them as he’s the oldest there.

“Noona...you have to get well soon....” Sehun said as he looked at Jangmi. D.o stepped next to his bed and sat on his bed.

“ She will. Don’t worry.”

 

 


AUTHOR'S NOTE

Oh my gosh, guys I'm so sorry for MIA-ing suddenly for so long. I was really busy lately with work and because I had to practice for my orchestra performance which was last week. I'm so glad it ended well! Thus why I can write. I'm sorry if this is boring . could you guys please comment whether I should continue this fic? I guess if nobody thinks I should then I might just stop writing. So yeah do let me know what you think. Take care:)