Chapter 5

Time Waits For No One

“So..how did the operation go..?” Sehun asked while hugging his pillow, totally engrossed in the story.
Lay stiffened as he recalled back his memories, still trying his best to continue while Amber and Minzy were already having tears in their eyes. Deep down Sehun knew it’s no happy ending but he still wanted to know what happened.
*  *  *
“Hey..” Jangmi whispered as Luhan slowly opened his eyes.

“Hey mimi..” He answered with a soft smile.

“How you feeling?”

“I’m still alive” He said with a small laugh.

“yah, don’t talk like that” Jangmi said slightly angry and tears already forming in her eyes.

Amber and Minzy were already weeping silently behind them while Luhan tried his best to remain calm.

“It’s a fact though.” Luhan answered again while letting out another laugh. He then caressed Jangmi’s cheeks “Don’t be sad, you know I hate it when you’re sad.” Jangmi just nodded slowly. Luhan looked at the rest of them who were behind Jangmi and let out another laugh. “ yah.. what’s wrong with you guys? I’m not dead, well at least not yet.. So there’s no need to cry.” He said with a smile.

By looking at him, you just couldn’t believe he was practically dying. He looked healthy, that’s because he was still in his early stages of cancer ,so his looks aren’t affected yet. Well, looks are deceiving.
Amber and Minzy quickly wiped off their tears and gave him a soft smile. Lay went next to him and patted his shoulder.

"You ready for your operation hyung?" Lay asked

"yeah, ready as ever." he answered.

"We'll all be waiting for you outside the operating room, so don't keep us waiting long, you know how I hate waiting." Lay answered jokingly.

"I won't be long" he answered happily.

Jangmi couldn't help how depressed and worried she was feeling. She hopes the best of the operation, but she's afraid if something wrong will happen and what if he doesn't make it ? What is she never gets to see him again? To talk to him again? As these worries fill her mind, she still felt at ease because all she saw was Luhan happy as ever as if nothing was wrong. She stared at him without realizing him staring right back at her. 
Luhan wave his hand in front of her eyes continuously while saying "hello.....anybody there...?" until Jangmi snapped out and realize what he was doing.

"huh?what?" Jangmi said as she realized that she was staring at him blankly this whole time.
He held her hand and let out a soft sigh. "Mimi, I'm gonna be okay..okay? So don't worry so much."

"Okay oppa...but..just..what if-"

"Well. If anything were to happen to me, promise me one thing." Luhan cut her off before she could even finish her sentence.
She kept quiet while staring at him.

“Mimi..promised me you’ll move on. Move on without me and stay strong. Fight your cancer, you’ve been doing an awesome job at it even before you met me, so I’m sure you can do well without me too.” Luhan said with a smile.

“Oppa...don’t...don’t say that...” Tears already forming in Jangmi’s eyes as she answered him.

“Mimi, promise me okay? That you’ll stay strong. I don’t want to see my dear sister sad or hurt ,and you know how I hate it when people cry, so don’t cry okay?” He answered as he held her hand,comforting her while using his thumb to form small circles, a thing he would do to calm her down all the time, and it always works.

“okay.” She answered softy.

Dr. Wu then stepped into the room “guys,it’s time for you to leave, I need a word with Luhan and his family would like to talk to him too.” Lay nodded to Dr. Wu as he walked out of the room.

“Hyung, we’ll be waiting, don’t be long okay? And I want a rematch at basketball so you better be ready.” Lay joked while giving him a soft punch on the shoulder.

Luhan let out a laugh “araso..but you know you still can’t beat me.” Lay just smiled at his friend’s words and stood near the door waiting for the rest to say their last words before his operation.

“Oppa, get this over with so you can be a pilot and bring me around the world.” Amber said with a giggle. It’s always been a dream of Amber to travel but sadly because she’s sick and stuck in the hospital most of her time.

“Yah araso. I’ll bring you to all the places you want to go.” He said happily. 
Amber smiled and tried her best to hold back the tears and stood next to Lay. Minzy stepped closer to his bed and hugged him. “Stay strong okay? We’ll all be waiting for you outside.” He hugged back and smiled “I will, don’t worry.” Minzy broke the embrace and went to where Lay and Minzy were.

Jangmi who was sitting on the bedside of Luhan’s bed, stared at him and he gave her a soft smile. “Oppa..here..” She said as she gave him a book which she had been holding on the whole time.
Luhan took it from her hands and thank her. It was her sketchbook, and he felt touched and happy that she gave him something important to her.

“Jangmi, take this.” He opened his necklace and showed her. Jangmi’s eyes widened because it was a necklace his mother left when she passed away. Luhan was really close with his mother, he was devastated when his mother passed away a year ago, about two months after he found out he has cancer. He was on the verge of breaking down when he found out and he stopped being his happy self but Jangmi was the one who was by his side and helped him to recover from his depression.

“No..Oppa,it means so much to you, you keep it.” She said as she closed Luhan’s hands with the necklace.

“It means a lot to me, that’s why I want you to have it.” He said with a soft smile. You can see sadness in his eyes. Although he may seem happy and strong, but deep down he was terrified as well. What if the operation fails? He thought of that a lot, but he didn’t want to let the other know how he felt, especially Jangmi because he knew it won’t do them any good. He wants them to stay strong, to be happy , in order to have that he has to be too. So, he held back his fears and tried his best to stay strong.

“No. Take it with you for the operation, so that omma is with you.” Jangmi said smiling back at him. Jangmi calls Luhan’s parents omma and appa and likewise for Luhan to Jangmi’s parents. They were literally like real blooded siblings, unable to be away from each other.
Luhan smiled at the thought of having his mom with him. “She is always with me, in my heart.” He answered while holding his chest where his heart was with his hand.

“But I still won’t accept it,bring it with you oppa.” Jangmi answered while taking the necklace from his hand and putting it on back for him.

“Mimi..”

“oh..”

“saranghae nae dongsaeng.”

“na do,sarangae oppa.”

Jangmi gave him a tight hug and left the room with the rest. They sat on the chairs outside his room while his family step in to see him. Jangmi greeted his father and family members before they entered. 

“Appa,stay strong okay?” Jangmi said as she held Luhan’s father’s hands.

“I will try my best Mimi, you stay strong too.” He said softly and stepped into the room.
Moments later Jangmi’s parents came too, they nodded at Jangmi before they entered the room. About an hour passed and finally all of the family members and Jangmi’s parents came out. Dr. Wu went in with a few nurses and when they came out they were pushing Luhan’s bed. As they pushed him to the operation room he held hands with Jangmi.

“Mimi,saranghae.” Were his last words as he was pushed into the operation room. Jangmi stood there watching Luhan disappear as the doors closed.

“I love you too oppa.” She said in a whisper.

All of them waited outside without even having any conversation. They sat on the chairs just outside the room. They waited and waited.

* * *

“How you feeling Luhan?” Dr. Wu asked as he looked at his clip board.

“Nervous..Dr. Wu can I ask a favour?” Luhan answered back.

“Sure,what is it?” 

“If I don’t make it, please give my necklace to Mimi.” He said as held his necklace hanging around his neck.

Dr. Wu stared at Luhan. He wanted to tell Luhan he’ll make it out, but he too knew this operation was very risky. Anything could happen. “okay ,I’ll do that.” He said with a nod.

“Thanks Dr. Wu,oh and also. The sketch book that Jangmi gave me is in the room I was in earlier. Give that back to her too okay?” Luhan said trying his best not to cry. He’s afraid. Afraid of leaving the ones he love behind, afraid of leaving his little sister that he love with all his life. 

“I hope to see you when I wake up later Dr.Wu.” 

“I hope to see you awake later too. Now, it’s time for you to sleep, I promise I’ll try my best.” Dr. Wu said as he put injected a serum which will make Luhan go to sleep throughout the operation.

*I love you Mimi, oppa loves you. Stay strong.” He thought to himself as he drifted off to sleep.

* * *

The “operation” sign which was lighted in red which means an operation is on going finally off. Jangmi’s eyes shoots to the door, waiting and waiting for news. The door has been a barrier she tried her best not to cross over . She wanted so bad to see her brother that there were times she almost went through the doors, Lay saw she was having a hard time so he held her in his arms and hummed a soft song.
The doors finally opened, Dr. Wu exited the door and faced them all.

“Dr. Wu, how did it go? How’s my son?” Luhan’s father was the first who got up and went to Dr. Wu.

“I’m sorry Mr. Xi, I did my best.” Dr. Wu said softly but loud enough for all the rest to hear. When Jangmi heard what Dr. Wu said, she frozed.

“What? why? I thought my kidney was the perfect match!” Luhan’s elder brother stood up and started raising his voice, eyes already teary.

“As I told you before, although the kidney was a perfect match, but sometimes the receiver’s body will reject the kidney. Luhan’s body rejected the kidney. There wasn’t anything I could do. I’m sorry.” Dr. Wu said as he slightly bowed and walked off, leaving Luhan’s family members all weeping in pain.

“oppa...” Jangmi said softly ,she stood up and stared at the doors. “Luhan oppa!” She screamed as tears streamed down her face, she felt her head spinning and her lungs gasping for air. 

“Jangmi! Jangmi!” Lay’s voice shouted and more voices were heard.

“Call Dr.Wu ! Hurry!” Mr. Lee said as he knelt down next to his daughter.
That was all Jangmi could hear before she black out completely.

“oppa...” Jangmi said softly in her sleep. Lay who was sleeping on her bedside shot up as he heard her voice. He stared at her and saw her sleeping. She was deep in sleep for two days already and he was by her bedside since day one. Once in a while, Amber and Minzy would drop by after their chemo sessions.
Lay let out a sigh and moved her fringe away from her face.

“Oppa’s here..Lay oppa..” Lay softly hummed a song and continued caressing her hair. After about an hour or so she finally woke up as sunlight shined through the windows.

“Jangmi, how you feeling..?”

“Oppa..I feel groggy...where am I? This isn’t our room.” 

“You black out two days ago, this is a different ward.”

“Two days..?That long?” Jangmi shot up when she heard that.

“Yeah, you must had been really tired huh?” Lay said jokingly while patting her head.

“Luhan...luhan oppa,he’s gone..” Jangmi finally recalled how she black out after a few minutes of silence. Lay didn’t answer he just looked at Jangmi.

“His funeral! I was asleep for two days? I missed his funeral didn’t I? Jangmi said after she realized.

“yeah, his funeral was the day after he passed away. It’s okay, I’ll bring you to his..umm..to him when you feel better okay?” Lay said trying to cheer her up. He didn’t want to use the word cemetery, he tried his best to not make her feel any more sad than she already is.

“I missed his funeral...Oppa..” Jangmi said to herself as tears stream down her face. 
Suddenly, she lost it. She started hitting herself and kicking around the bed “You stupid! Lee Jangmi you pabo! Why did you sleep! You pig! “she shouted at herself while hitting her head continuously. Lay shot up from his seat and held back her hands.

“Jangmi stop!” Lay shouted but it was as if Jangmi was in her own world, she couldn’t escaped Lay’s hold because he was stronger than she is. Lay quickly pressed the button calling in the nurse.

“Get Dr. Wu! Now! Hurry! “ Lay shouted as he held back Jangmi.

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Is like anyone still reading this fic..? :/