Chapter 4

Time Waits For No One

 

“WHAT?!” Sehun shouted so loud that you can swear the whole hospital can hear him. “Why did they do that to Jangmi noona?!” His eyeballs were literally about to popped out of his eyes.

“Because,she completely lost it that time, she looked crazy at that time. She was screaming,kicking and crying, she looked like she was in a mental hospital.” Amber said softly,recalling back to the day it all happened.

“That bad?” Sehun asked.

“Yeah, that bad. We didn’t even know what to do. All we did was stood there and watch the nurses take Jangmi in hand.” Minzy answered.

“Well...what happened after that..?” Sehun asked,anticipating the story.

Amber looked at Lay, mentally asking him to continue the story because she was on the verge of crying if she continued the story herself. He let out a sigh and told what happened next.

* * *

“Lu...Oppa....Lu..LUHAN OPPA!” Jangmi shot up from her sleep. She looked out of their window and saw it was dark. Cold sweat was forming on her forhead and she used her sleeve to wipe it off. “It was just a nightmare Jangmi..” She said to herself. Lay,Amber and Minzy was staring at her without her even realising it.

“No...it was not a nightmare..It did happen...It felt too real to be a dream.” Her eyes shot up and tears formed at the corner of her eyes. She looked up and saw the three of them staring at her. “ Eonni..Oppa..where’s Luhan oppa? Is he okay?” tears were already falling down her cheeks.

“He’s in another room under observation.” Lay answered and walked to her bed with the aid of his pole and sat on her bed. While slowly her back Lay hummed a soft melody trying to calm her down. Whenever she was facing any trouble, when Luhan was not admitted in hospital with her, Lay was always there to calm her down. She weep silently while taking steady breathes realizing and confirming it wasn’t a nightmare but reality.

“Is he gonna be okay..?” She asked looking Lay in the eyes.

He wanted so bad to tell her that everything is okay when he saw sadness in her eyes. Honestly, she was the happiest cancer patient he ever met.Patients were losing hope and always look gloomy but when Jangmi came to the hospital that changed,she talked to the patients when she was free. Holding their hands and telling them never to give up. She was their source of life, she literaly brought back the life in some patients, she brought back the smiles of many patients who were already giving up on life. Everybody in the hospital loves her, be it the doctors and nurses or the patients, she was someone who brought happiness to the gloomy hospital. It broke his heart to see her in that state, he would do anything to make her happy but he knew lying about Luhan’s condition won’t make it any better.

“He needs a kidney transplant soon.I heard from Dr. Wu that they are taking blood test from his family members to see if they are any match.” He answered slowly.

“What?but...but why..? He’s only in his first stage of cancer right? Why would he need a kidney transplant? Isn’t the chemo helping him?” Jangmi answered, feeling uneasy and confused. It didn’t make any sense because Luhan is only in first stage,usually when you’re in the first stage of cancer, chemotherapy and radiotherapy will help to avoid the cancerous cells to spread so there is a chance of surviving cancer if one was to take therapies and medicines in the early stages.

“Dr. Wu said that his cancerous spread rapidly and now his kidney is failing him. It’s one of those rare cases Jangmi...Even Dr. Wu was surprised that this happened because he’s still in his first stage Dr. Wu didn’t even expected this to happen.” Lay answered while looking at Jangmi who was staring at her feet.

“So...what if there’s no match..?” Jangmi asked and fear was seen in her eyes this time.

Amber and Minzy were already tearful watching how Jangmi was. She was like a bomb, anything wrong that comes out from anybody’s mouth and she’ll definitely explode like how she did earlier that morning. Lay saw them and he tried his best not to shed a tear. He felt the pain they were all having too, he too was really close to Luhan and he too hopes that Luhan will get better.

“Lay oppa..tell me..what if there’s no match?” Jangmi asked again because Lay didn’t answer her as he was lost in his own thoughts, mentally challenging himself not to shed a tear.

He let out a sigh. “Then he will have to depend on kidney dialysis but that too might not help him long..”

“oh..” That’s all she could answer at that time. She then lay down at stare at the bed next to her which was Luhan’s bed. Lay continued her back and humming softly, that was the only way he could think of calming her down.

The next day, Jangmi’s parents came to visit her with Sooji. Sometimes on weekends when Sooji’s free,she would tagged along with Jangmi’s parents to visit her. Jangmi actually gets to go home after her chemo but she rather be admitted in hospital because she had more friends here than anywhere else. Sometimes after school, Sooji will even accompany her to the hospital so she’s actually friends with Jangmi’s roomates too.

“Oh sweetie,how you feeling..?I heard bout Luhan from Dr. Wu. Don’t worry too much okay sweetie? I’m sure he’ll be alright” Mrs Lee said to Jangmi and she just answered simply “I hope so.”

Her parents talked to her for a little while then they left,leaving Jangmi in Sooji’s care like always. They knew Jangmi would feel better talking to her best friend than them.

“yah,bee what’s wrong with you?Usually when I’m here you’ll be chatting away noisily like a bee.” Sooji said to Jangmi trying to lift up her mood.

“hmm.”

“hmm? That’s not what a bee sounds like.”

“buzz.....”

“that sounds like a dead bee.”

“I wish I was.”

*smack*

“yah! What was that for!” Jangmi shouted at Sooji while she rubbed he head where Sooji hit.

“For what you said.Don’t talk like that.Imagine how your parents would react if they heard you.” Sooji answered while checking her nails. Sooji was one of the popular girls at school. Puberty went right for her. Although,she doesn’t hang out with the popular kids, she still was one of them because she was in the school’s cheerleading team as leader of the team. She was one of the prettiest girls in school and what teachers love her was that she was best friends with Jangmi. Someone who was awfully ill yet she spent all her time with her. Teachers respected her for that while other students couldn’t understand what is she thinking.

“Well, I do wish I’m dead sometimes. I have to admit I thought about it a few times,if I were dead I didn’t need to go through all these useless therapies,stop taking tons of medicines everyday,stop being stared at,stop gettin-“

“Shut up you bee, if you were dead then what about your parents? What about me? What about Lay oppa,Minzy eonni and Amber eonni? And most importantly what about Luhan oppa?” Sooji cut in before Jangmi could continue talking.

Jangmi almost cried again when she heard Luhan’s name.Then suddenly she stood up and went to Lay’s bed. Lay looked at her, astonished,he was listening to songs on his ipod so once he saw that Jangmi was staring at him,he took out his ear phones and looked at her.

“what’s wrong Mimi?” Mimi was Jangmi’s nick name given by Luhan, almost everyone in the hospital calls her that.

“Did you ask Dr. Wu if Luhan oppa had a match?” Jangmi asked.

“I haven’t met Dr. Wu today.”

“Can you go ask him?”

“Now..?”

“Yes..please oppa..” She answered while giving her those sad looks.

“Okay,I’ll go now.”

“Thanks oppa.”

Then Lay got up and walked out of the room in search of Dr. Wu. Amber then looked at Jangmi.

“Mimi, don’t worry okay?Let’s just hope for the best now.” She said as she stretch from her bed to hold Jangmi’s hands. Minzy then sat on Lay’s bed and held onto their hands too.

“Thanks eonni...He just means so much to me. He’s like an older brother I always wished I had.” Jangmi said softly.

“We know, he is to us too, and don’t forget we all treat you like our little sister, so we don’t want you to be sad okay? No matter what you still have us” Minzy said.

 

“Thanks eonni, you both and of course Lay oppa too,I’m glad I have you guy.” Jangmi answered with a smile,but not the smile that everyone loved, it was a forced smile, Amber and Minzy saw that but didn’t say anything. Obviously Jangmi was feeling down with what’s happening to Luhan. Although Jangmi knew Amber,Minzy and Lay ever since she first started coming to the hospital for her chemo and treated them like her elder siblings, somehow it could never compare to the bond she and Luhan shared. Luhan was like her guardian angel, since the day he first came for his chemo he and Jangmi somehow had this inseparatable bond. They had lots in common, he knew a lot of stories and he told them to Jangmi and she was fascinated because she never could really live a normal life with all the hate from people.He was the only one who knew how to cheer her up when everyone couldn’t. He was Yin and she was Yang, that sort of stuff. Luhan made her feel normal at times with his stories, he made her feel proud to have him as her brother even though they were not blooded siblings. His parents adore her, who didn’t? She was bubbly and happy-go-lucky, she was like a happy virus, she made anybody near her happy.

Lay stepped into the room and four of the them stared at him.

“He got a match!” Lay said happily while air himself as sign of happiness.

”what?! Really?!” Sooji asked.

“Yes,Dr. Wu said his elder brother was tested a perfect match for him. They are going to operate him tonight.” Lay answered.

“what? That fast?” Minzy asked puzzled.

“yes,because according to Dr. Wu, it has to be done soon, because Luhan hyung is in a critical stage already.” Lay said but trying his best to make it sound like it’s bad news.

“can we go see him?” Jangmi asked.

“oh yeah,forgot bout that. Yeah, we can, we should go now because he’s awake and he will be going for his operation in a few hours.” Lay said and he lead the way to Luhan’s room while the other four followed. It was a single room and before you enter you had to wear masks,gloves and scubs. Before they entered Dr. Wu was there, looking at Luhan through the big window and looking at his notes in his clipboard.

“oh, Dr. Wu, I heard from Lay oppa that Luhan oppa has the perfect kidney match.” Jangmi said happily said.

“Oh Mimi, yeah we found his match,but ah..Mimi ya.. I just need you to know sometimes even with the perfect match,the body might reject the kidney. “ Dr. Wu answered.

“what..? what do you mean the body might reject the kidney?” Jangmi asked confused, the rest of the four sensed Jangmi’s tone tensed so they went to Jangmi and Dr. Wu to listen to thei conversation.

 

“That’s how it is Mimi, some patients when they have the perfect match, the body will accept the kidney and work fine,but in some cases the body may reject it and the kidney will not work and thus during the operation the patient may...” Dr. Wu said hesitantly, unsure whether to finish his sentence.

“die...” Jangmi then finished his sentence.

 

 

 

 

AUTHOR'S NOTE

 

Hey guys, sorry for mia-ing been pretty busy with stuff lately. I still hope you guys will continue reading my fic :)