2

A Round Present
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Kaeun's POV

Just when I was saying about my mother-in-law, the phone in our house rang; its sounds bounced off the white-washed walls that hung the pictures of Chen and I. The sound startled me, but nevertheless I answered it. 

"Hello?"

The moment I heard the voice on the other line, my hands started to shake and my breaths became heavy and short. 

"Hello? Is this Kaeun?"

"Yes, Kaeun speaking. Oh, hello Mother, how are you?" 

I nodded my head instinctively to her voice, and responded 'Yes' to each question she asked regarding her son.

Every now and then, Mother would call to make sure I had properly fed him, washed all his clothes, cleaned our room, dusted the shelves so as not to one day get a cough because of it, and the list goes on. And each time she calls, I would get nervous, wondering if I did everything she had asked me to do. Of course I know it is a housewife's duty to do these things, but Mother doesn't need to call every month to keep an eye on me. Sometimes, I forget to vacuum the carpet because I'm tired or because I simply forget. I'm not that young as I was when met Chen at that coffee shop two years ago. Back then I just entered my twenties and now I'm two years in. I still have my congestive heart failure, but even though it's been getting better now, I can feel my chest start to tighten up whenever I have piles of stress on my hands.

As Mother ended the call, I breathed a sigh of relief. The line went dead. The phone had collided with the floor as it slipped between my fingers that had become numb.

Like a good wife, I began to due my household chores, patiently waiting for Chen to come back home from work. He's always tired and hungry whenever he arrives home, so I usually prepare for dinner right after lunch. Others may think that I am still a newlywed because I go to the supermarket each morning before lunch to buy the freshest ingredients to cook dinner, but in fact I'm not. I'm just loving my husband the way I love him. 

Dinner. What should I buy at the supermarket today? Let's see, due to the weather report signaling that it might rain heavily today, I decided that tofu soup would be delicable to the stomach on a cold day. However, before I was able to head out the door, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. Thus, I rushed to the bathroom to make sure everything was okay.

 

Jongdae's POV

Work was tiring this morning. Even though my job as a secretary of the police department isn't that prominent, that didn't mean that we secretaries don't have a prominent stash of work to do. We do have that stash. But, to me, it's alright because I know when I'm done with

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter