3

A Round Present
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongdae's POV

I drove home from work, work that I could not go back to the next day. How was I supposed to take care of the house, its funds, Kaeun, and myself? This wasn't good, wasn't good at all. I guess the weather agreed with my mood, as the dark gloomy clouds showered down its anger with rain. I managed to finally drive back home admist the darkness of the night. However, I became soaked from head to toe when I got out of the car after I parked it along the sidewalk. My mood was decreasing, and there was no way to stop it either. 

"Kaeun, I'm home!" I announced to the once warm home of ours. I heard no reply coming my way, which was now the norm lately.

I don't know what had become of Kaeun and I but it seemed that she was becoming ever lazy and we would get into arguments often. She occasionally complained about her heart condition, about not being able to breathe properly and some things like that. I never doubted her, since I knew that her heart situation can turn into something disasterous if not handled properly. However, lately, it seemed that she would just lay on the couch, not doing anything at home, murmuring about this and that. Kaeun was not like the girl I had known before. Of course, people do get tired and weary, and honestly I could say the same thing about myself, as I knew deep down I wasn't as patient or as mild as I was before. But, I wasn't going to admit that anytime soon.

"Kaeun!" Silence was replied to me once again. "Where is that girl?" It was a rhetorical question that I did not expect an answer to. Reaching over to the wall, I was finally able to turn the light switch on, making the apartment seem a tad bit more happier than before. 

Like a veil being lifted, Kaeun was seen to be lying there in her usual position on the coach, all curled up and staring at the empty ceiling. Seeing her like this, I had this sudden urge to kick and break all the things that were hers. Did she not appreciate me working in order to build up this family? Didn't see understand how tiring work was everyday, yet I still had to smile in front of her so she wouldn't get worried? Why can't she understand? Why? 

It was a question that will never see an adequate answer.

 

Kaeun's POV

I'm sorry Chen. I really am. I don't have the energy nor the strength to keep on doing this anymore. It's not that I don't want to help you, or make you feel at home when we were newlyweds. 

Lately, I've been feeling tired, with your mother always asking me to do this and that, implicitly saying how incompetent a daughter-in-law I am. Also, it seems like, you're slowly becoming more and more unfamiliar to me, like a whole new person that I have not come to know about. Maybe this is Jongdae, not the Chen I used to know more than fifteen years ago. 

Should I say, it's nice to meet you Jongdae, please call me Kaeun? I shouldn't have to say that. At least not yet, right?

 

"You know, all you ever do nowaways is just laying there on that darn couch! I don't know but it seems to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter