Four

A Cat's Approval

            The rain was coming down harder and harder. Taekwoon regretted leaving the house this morning without a better jacket. Or an umbrella. Or a boat. His clothes were completely soaked through, as were his sneakers. He’d been searching for a good three hours and there was still no sign of the runaway cat. It had been too dark and too rainy to see for at least two of those hours, but he searched on. He couldn’t let Hongbin down.

            He checked alleys and trash cans and asked any poor soul that happened to pass by if they’d seen a fluffy white cat. No such luck. By this time he was the only one still out on the street. The rain was so hard that barely anyone was even driving in it. Just as he was considering giving up, at least until the rain let up, he rounded a corner and saw a ball of white fur sitting in a doorway on the other side of the street.

            “Hyoshin!

            The cat jerked its head in Taekwoon’s direction and, surprisingly, started running toward him. Taekwoon breathed a sigh of relief, then quickly it back in as he saw headlights rushing toward them. The driver either didn’t see the cat in the road or didn’t care. The car wasn’t slowing down at all.

            His body moved before he knew what he was doing. He ran into the street and snatched the cat up, just barely making it out of the way of the car. He vaguely heard the sound of brakes squealing and the blare of a horn, but all that mattered was the shaking ball of fluff in his arms.

            “Don’t scare me like that again,” he scolded weakly. Hyoshin mewed pitifully in response and rubbed his head against Taekwoon’s chest. Taekwoon frowned and tucked the cat into his jacket before he got too wet. Hyoshin, surprisingly, complied.

 


:o Taekwoon to the rescue! Do you think Hyoshin is going to like him now?

And I'm so sorry I'm posting so late today! I got busy and completely forgot! ><