One

A Cat's Approval

            “Would you please calm down? It’s not like you’re meeting my parents.”

            Taekwoon scowled at his boyfriend, but said nothing. Hongbin smirked back at him as he unlocked the door to his apartment and went inside.

            “Hyoshin!” Hongbin called, walking to the living room. Taekwoon rocked nervously on the balls of his feet as he waited by the door for Hongbin to return. True, Hyoshin wasn’t Hongbin’s parents, but this meeting was crucial. Hyoshin was important to Hongbin. So important, in fact, that Hyoshin had to approve of all of Hongbin’s boyfriends. Taekwoon had been dating the younger boy for a little over a month, but it wouldn’t be “official” to Hongbin until he met Hyoshin, so Taekwoon was determined to make a favorable impression.

After a few minutes, Hongbin returned with an immensely fluffy snow-white cat in his arms. Hongbin broke into a smile at Taekwoon’s nervousness and held the cat out for the elder to pet.

            “Taekwoon, meet Hyoshin.”

            Hyoshin stared blankly, his beady yellow eyes piercing straight into Taekwoon’s soul. Taekwoon his lips nervously. Hyoshin’s tiny pink tongue darted out, seemingly mimicking him. Never in his life had Taekwoon been so intimidated by an animal. Normally, he loved animals, and animals loved him. He couldn’t even actually remember an animal that didn’t immediately take to him. But Hyoshin was different. Hongbin had told him countless stories of the less-than-amiable cat, including one about his ex needing several stitches after Hyoshin attacked his leg. Taekwoon, not wanting stitches, couldn’t bring himself to move.

            Hongbin sighed, growing impatient with Taekwoon’s reluctance to socialize with the cat. He dropped the seemingly malicious furball in the elder’s arms and stepped back. Taekwoon’s eyes widened in shock, but Hyoshin seemed calm as ever.

            “Maybe this won’t be so bad,” Taekwoon thought as the cat’s silky tail slowly flicked back and forth. “Maybe he’ll actually like me.

            Taekwoon had almost begun to relax when a set of claws appeared and went straight for his face.

 


Yes I named Hongbin's cat Hyoshin. Because I am 800% positive that is what Binnie would name his pet.