-2-

Standing On The Side Line

It is weekend and I have plan for today. Hyuna will come over to fetch me and we will go shopping—which she likes the most. I mostly just follow her around, give my opinion on which dress is the best for her and look around without buying anything.

Not that I am poor or anything. I come from an average family whose parents don’t have big companies but have enough money to distribute to their children. My parents make sure they give us anything we want but never really spoil us. They give us what they think is good and though sometimes not, but if we really desperately needed that something, they will buy it for us.

Oh right, I’m using “us” because I have a younger brother whose-name-should-not-be-called…

“NOONA~”

“Ugh, I shouldn’t have talked about him.” I whisper to myself miserably.

Junhong pokes his head inside my room and I give him a fake smile. He grins up at me mischievously.

“What do you want?” I ask as I open up my drawer to search for outing clothes.

He pushes the door wider and leans against the doorframe, which I want to shove him away from. Based from this look, he wants something from me.

I roll my eyes and sigh before turning to him, giving him my complete attention as I cross my arms. “Okay, you got my attention. Now please tell me what you want before I slam the door on you.”

Junhong fakes a pout. “Aw noona. I’m always jealous over my friends because their sisters are so good to them! They buy clothes to their little brother, cooed them when they are sad, and listen to them without feeling being forced on.”

“Your point exactly is?” I raise an eyebrow, totally not bothered by all the lies he states.

His face grows sour and he says, “They give their little brothers money as well.”

“I know it!” I walk to him with a hand in the air.

Junhong quickly runs off to his room, not forgetting to lock the door. “HOW COULD YOU BE SO DIFFERENT THAN ALL OF THEM!? IT’S NOT LIKE I ASK YOU TO GIVE ME ALL YOUR MONEY!”

“My allowance and yours are equal, you stupid brother! Where have all your money gone to? I’m telling mom if you once again ask me for money!” I threaten and walk back to my room.

Just as I am about to continue my journey on searching the perfect casual Saturday—yes, I don’t do casual Friday so what—outing outfit, somebody knocks on the door. Perfect timing.

“It better not be you again, Choi Junhong.” I say and take out a white color t-shirt with a picture of Brown from Line.

The door creak open and Hyuna walks in while giggling. “So you guys are fighting again? What’s wrong this time?”

“Why are you so fast?” I ask while glancing at her.

She’s wearing a black tank-top with dark blue denim jacket covering it and a pair of faded skinny jeans.

“Okay, that’s really simple but you look awesome as always.”

“Thanks.” Hyuna replies as she sits down on my bed. “Are you going to take long?”

“Well, considering the fact I haven’t taken my morning bath, then yes, I’ll be long.” I say sarcastically. “Do you mind helping me to look for the outfit for casual Saturday?”

“Obviously yes.” Hyuna jumps up from the bed and walks over to my closet. “Well you got some good shirts. Why don’t you go take a bath and I prepare the clothes for you? It’ll be a surprise.”

I think over the suggestion and decide to take a risk. “Better not make me regret it.”

“I bet you won’t.” She smiles giddily.

 

 

 

 

The “surprise” turns out to be a white tank-top with ombre crop tee and a pair of faded skinny jeans.  I apply a thin layer of make-up to cover my pale face, and go down to the dining room, where I find Hyuna and Junhong sitting side-by-side, enjoying the morning breakfast.

“Mrs. Choi, you always make the best food.” Hyuna compliments my mom with a beam whereas my mom laughs loudly at her.

“You know how to make someone happy, Hyuna.” Mom says as she goes back to the kitchen to take more foods.

“Good morning, mom and dad.” I say as I sit beside Junhong.

“Good morning, Inna.” Dad says as he flips his newspaper.

“Sweetie, you’re up.” Mom comes out from the kitchen with two plates of chocolate pancakes.

“Whoop, pancakes.” I say with twinkling eyes.

Mom laughs. “You and sweets,” She says as she places the plate in front of me and Junhong. “Are you sure you don’t want pancakes, Hyuna?”

“I’m fine, Mrs. Choi! Just this and I’ll be fine.” She raises a piece of sandwich.  “Besides, I’m on a diet where I shouldn’t eat too much sugar or chocolate.”

“You’re skinny. You should eat more.” Junhong says under his breath.

Hyuna rolls her eyes, obviously hearing what Junhong has said.

After the breakfast, both Hyuna and I linger in the living room because she says that it is better to go to the mall when the clock strikes twelve.

“You can think what you want for lunch later. We’ll go straight to the place.” Hyuna says as she stretches her arms.

“Alright.” I say with a spoon of ice cream in my mouth. Unlike Hyuna who takes care of her figure, I don’t really take care of calories. Hyuna says that she envies me because I’m the type who will not gain weight after enormous amount of calories eaten.

It is around eleven thirty when my parents decide to go out and have a date, and Junhong decides to go out with his friends. Hyuna and I decide to go out along with them and Hyuna drives her blue Honda Fit.

“Figure that we’ll go shopping so I take this baby blue.” Hyuna explains as we buckle ourselves for safety.

“You said that for many times already; though I have to agree. This car is likeable and nice.” I say as she begins to drive.

We arrive at our usual shopping mall in Apgujeong. She parks her car in the basement swiftly and we go out to enjoy the day. We start off by going inside Forever 21, where many casual looking shirts that I like, but I don’t take any. I’ll wait for my mom to go shopping with me.

Hyuna takes a sleeveless long dress. It is stripped horizontally by two colors; blue and ivory color. The dress is pretty and fit well with Hyuna.

“You look good.” I say with a satisfied nod. “You should take this one. Maybe along with this,” I take a straw hat with blue color and white dots wrapped around it. “Use this when you’re going picnic.”

She looks at herself in the mirror and nods. “You’re right. This suits me well.” She then goes back to the fitting room and changes back to her clothes. “Let’s pay for the clothes.”

After paying, we go to another shop and then continue to another. Each time we go out from a shop, she will always have another bag of clothes. Me? I still don’t buy anything.

“Oh right!” She claps her hand excitedly. “Let’s go to eat! I forgot we haven’t eaten anything!”

We go to my favorite Italian restaurant because I really enjoy the food there.

She chuckles after knowing my decision. “You really like this place, aren’t you?” She asks once we settle down.

“I like the food, not the place. I don’t really care about the interior, you know that.”

She smiles. “I know.”

We order our usual foods because we rarely eat anything else except the ones that we love. I really enjoy the Fish and chips and mushroom spaghetti along with the chocolate milkshake. I know, it doesn’t seem they’d go well together, but I really love them.

Hyuna, as the daring girl she is, chooses Bellini—an alcoholic Italian drink—and wine salad along with lamb chop. We eat the food deliciously as we talk.

Suddenly I hear someone calls my name.

“Inna-ssi?”

Both Hyuna and I turn to the direction and I find Luhan with the basketball team standing inside the restaurant. Hana and her followers are right behind him. Kai is also with the team, but seemingly uninterested.

“Luhan-ssi.” I stand up awkwardly and give a pathetic wave.

Hyuna takes an initiative by standing up and goes to my side. She drapes an arm around my shoulder and beams happily at the drooling boys at the sight of her.  “Hello there! I’m Kim Hyuna!”

One of the drooling boys whispers loud enough for us to hear, “Nobody doesn’t know you…”

I bite my lips to prevent giggle coming out. Hana shoots the boy a glare.

She crosses her arms with a mean look on her face. “What are you two doing here?”

Hyuna replies with a huff. “What else? We come to eat of course.”

Hana glares at Hyuna’s replies and straightens herself. “Let’s find somewhere else to eat!”

Luhan doesn’t follow her and instead comes toward me. “Can I join you? I’ve wanted to see you again after that day.” He says with a smile.

Hyuna gives me a teasing look and I ignore her. “If you want you can.” I reply, telling him to sit.

Hana sees what happened and walks to my table. “Luhan, let’s go!”

“You don’t want to eat here then fine. But I’m not following you anymore, I’m hungry.” He retorts with a shrug, taking the menu from the waiter.

Hana is about to say something but Hyuna beats her. “You heard the guy. Don’t be such a pathetic lonesome because that just sickens the guy.”

Hana’s jaw falls as well as mine. After she walks away with a grump, I chides to Hyuna. “That’s harsh, Hyuna.”

“She deserves that.” Hyuna replies.

Luhan orders his food and smiles at me. “So I want to say thank you.”

“It’s okay.” I reply, feeling a little bit nervous. I wonder why he suddenly acts like he is close to me.

“I’m Hyuna.” Hyuna says as she stares at Luhan.

“I’m Luhan.”

“How do you know Inna?”  Hyuna asks as she starts interrogating Luhan.

Let’s just say she’s a very protective friend. That’s why she hasn’t gotten a boyfriend yet.  She says that she is ever to have a boyfriend, then that means she likes that guy more than me. Because until now she hasn’t found the right one yet, she decides to reject every guy that confesses to her.

“Well, she helped me bandage my hand when everyone else left.” Luhan says, making me embarrassed because by the way he says it makes me look like I’m so kind.

Well, of course, I am kind, but not Gandhi’s level yet.

“That sounds like her.” Hyuna smiles brightly as she turns her head to me. “Why didn’t you tell me about this?”

I give her a long look. “Because it wasn’t so important…?”

Luhan pretends to be hurt by my words. “Aw, that’s painful.” He says as he places his hand on his chest.

“Inna! Why do you say that?” Hyuna scolds. “Now he is in pain.”

I stare at the two of them. “You guys are being ridiculous.”

Hyuna rolls her eyes. “Such a spoilsport.”

I slap her arm lightly.

“Hey!” Hyuna reaches out to hit me as well.

I laugh and she laughs as well. I am not aware that Luhan is watching us in amusement until I catch him smiling at us. I smile back at him.

Well, I guess this isn’t so bad.