-19-

Standing On The Side Line

First thing first, my school starts tomorrow and I probably won't be updating as much as these past two weeks. I'm so happy that at least I've written until here although the ship hasn't sailed yet, but it's good enough for me. This probably the last update I'm going to have this week or next week as well because I am really going to be busy. This is my last year in high school and national exams are just in three or four months. So yeah, basically I'm just saying that I'm gonna miss you guys for quite some time.

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes

____________________________________________

 

It’s one of the days when everyone just loses themselves in studying. I’m one of them. With the exams nearing, I find myself between studying and memorizing the script. It’s undeniably hard; especially for someone like me who isn't excelled in studying. Funny thing (and irritating as well), Hyuna who looks like she will get zero in everything; is actually the genius between the two of us.

Even though she loves painting her nails more than reading Einstein’s guidance book, she gets higher score in math. Imagine my annoyance when she actually waves her exam’s paper on my face with an ‘A+’ on it. I just roll my eyes and glare at my own paper which has a ‘C’ written on it.

No matter how hard I study, I just can’t seem to grab the concept of Algebra, Limit, and all others that have me choking myself to death. Well yeah, of course, I can grab the basic concept of them; but when it just goes down to the harder calculation, I find myself lost. I have dreamt of numbers and the equations once in my nightmares.

So just to make sure I’ll pass the exams better than before, I spend my rest time and after school moment covered in books in the library. Hyuna comes once in a while to teach me some of the things I can’t understand. She’s very patient, I realize, when she explains for the ninth time for the same question all over again. I feel bad.

But today is one of the days she won’t come because she has other things to do. I study at this four-seat table; taking all the space by putting all the books on it. It’s not even I use everything. I just like—a little bit too much—making some kind of drama effect in life. You know, like when you’re studying super hard and the hero of the drama sees how hard you’re in studying and gradually falls in love.

Uh yeah, I’m very delusional. If not, how can I actually write story?

But anyway, I do need those books. I just make sure I have them within my arm’s length so I don’t need to walk around searching for them. It’s just I hardly can get through a question to use other guidance books. As I scribble on a paper about a Limit question and it has trigonometry (God help me!), the chair beside mine screeches out.

I stop and turn my head; my only-for-studying spectacles fall on my nose as I look at the person. It has me gaping like an idiot. Kai looks at me with one hand prop up on the table, his chin on his hand and turns toward me. He’s staring and I feel like a goldfish.

“Uh…” I can’t form any word because this is just too sudden! Not that I mind, but I just have to put him aside so I can actually study.

“So this is where you’ve been hiding.” He remarks lazily, looking around the library and I find myself feeling embarrassed and the books all over my table. “I thought you have ditched being an assistant manager when I didn’t find you in the locker room anymore.”

“Well… uh… exams are approaching and I am not exactly a genius so I have to study.” I pause. “Like a lot.” Then we chuckle. “Besides, coach told me to focus more on my studies. He said that I can clean up the locker room after winter break.” I try not to roll my eyes. We know how messy then the locker room will be.

“That sounds like my coach. He cuts down the practices with the exams nearing, although I already have the thought that I’ll be spending winter break in the school’s inner basketball ring. You know, he can make us come if he wants to. Threats of our scholarship are kind of the basic thing.” He chuckles; as if he doesn’t believe his coach.

I don’t know what to answer, because I just want him to continue talking; but realize he won’t. I really have to focus on my study though.

“Uh… Kai… do you mind?” I ask, pushing my paper at him. “I don’t understand this one.”

He looks at me as if he’s scandalized. “Excuse me; do I look like Einstein to you?” He asks, bewildered.

“Well, you do look like Einstein more than me,” I shrug.

“Oh my God! You didn’t just say that.” He looks shock. But I somehow know he’s teasing.

“Yes I did, Kai! Now, can you please teach me that question?”

He just grins and looks down on my questions paper, reading at the number I’ve circled a number of times. “Well this…” He begins explaining smoothly; and funnily I actually grasp the concept faster than Hyuna’s explanation. This really makes me feel bad for Hyuna. She has explained to me about that number many times, but I never really understand it. Now, with only one explanation from Kai, I actually have a new memory space to save everything in.

Ugh, love and all it does.

 

Kai brings me to the same ice-cream parlor at the Han River, and chooses green tea for me. My heart bursts in explosion by the fact he remembers my favorite flavor. After that library study, Kai insists on bringing me home; and who am I to reject him? He brings me to the peaceful place and we sit down on the grass, this time without a tree to shade us from the afternoon sun.

It isn’t that hot anyway.

He takes out something from his back pocket and shows me this rosary bracelet. I blink at him, wondering what he’s going to do. “You know, I have this since I was baptized at the small church near my house.” He says softly. “When I was nervous or praying for good luck, I will rub this bracelet so I will have more confidence.” He looks up at me and swallows, “I know you’re nervous about the stage thing and in need of good luck for your coming exams so…” He takes my right hand and slips through the bracelet to my wrist. “I thought of lending you this bracelet. Well, it’s a rosary one so I can’t possibly give it to you right?” He chuckles nervously and I feel my heart swells. “Anyway, it some sort of good luck charms to me—”

“Thank you,” I mutter; feeling my eyes sting with tears. I can’t believe him being so kind to me. I mean, I don’t know about his feelings to me, but I know that he cares about me. Without any restrain, I throw myself on him and hug him. It’s an impulse that I am surprised of as well, but I can’t help but doing so. I am just overwhelmed by this feeling; this love for him. He, who thinks that I don’t like him that way, does something that makes me hard that he thinks that way.

He’s so cruel, this loveable .