-25-

Standing On The Side Line

Hey guys! I made a trailer. Hope you guys like it!! And enjoy the stories as usual. =D

Love, StoriesWriter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAviPPMMSSE

Subscribes. Comments. Upvotes

____________________________________________

“What ball?”

“Winter’s ball. It’s held every year as the most awaited event at the resort. It’s one of the best things actually,” Hyuna says. “I mean I really get bored just doing nothing. It’s great we have skis and hot baths, but this ball is just the perfect ending! I get to dress you up too!”

“Oh, ho! I don’t say you may!”

“But you know I don’t care either way. So let’s just go to the mall at the south side. This resort really has everything. There is even a library!” Hyuna shouts in amazement. “Anyway, before I go out of the topic, let’s go!”

“Wait—” It appears none of her words will stop Hyuna as they run out of their bedroom, which they share.

Sighing, I take my purse and lock the door before going after her.

The mall is big. It takes all of the south building of the resort, and is beautiful and unique. All the shops sell branded stuffs, and whenever I see the number on every price tag, I feel my breath hitches. Hyuna just hums happily as she looks through the stuff.

“Why are we here?” I ask while furrowing my eyebrows.

“Hmm? Oh, silly me! Did I forget to tell you? My uncle just sent me a text telling me about the dress code. He knows what a shopaholic I am, so he makes sure to tell me. That’s why we haven’t bought anything!” She grins.

“But here?” I ask, looking around.

The shop is dim-lighted and authentic looking. Dresses styled in Elizabethan and Victorian eras hang beautifully all around the world. There are the light color ones and dark color ones. There are gowns which cover the neck, and others have low neckline. Everything is just so beautiful.

“Here, here! Try this!” Hyuna stops in front of me while bringing a beautiful Victorian era gold color gown. It has low neckline, but with s like mine, there will be nothing to be pushed up. It’s simple and beautiful; the sleeves are long and ended with puffy thin lace. There are two strips on the chest, going down from the neckline to the waistline. The skirt flows beautifully down to ankles.

“It’s beautiful,”

“I know! It’s going to go really great with you!” Hyuna exclaims.

Before I can say anything, a voice says, “It won’t look great on you, Choi Inna,”

That vicious voice. I turn to find Jang Hana standing looking all mighty, a smug look on her face.

Hyuna stands before me looking like she’s protecting me. “Why are you here?”

Hana’s stance quivers a little, but she still looks smug. “Kim Hyuna,” She smirks. “Hello to you too,”

“Why don’t you just leave? You’re getting on my nerves.”

“Oh, look! I’ve come with my brother you see. He’s after all, thinking about buying the building.”

Hyuna’s eyes flare wide. “Tell your brother to back off,” She angrily mutters.

“About what?” Another voice joins in, this time coming from a male.

My eyes stare at the man as recognition hits me hard. It’s the guy from before! The one Hyuna was staring at.

“Jang Hyunseung,” Hyuna sneers. Her façade might be cold, angry, and filled with annoyance, but the stance she is in, I can tell she feels something entirely different. Wait, she told me she didn’t know the guy!

“Kim Hyuna,” The guy calls out. His expression is unreadable. His eyes though, they speak different volume. If it is any novel, I’d say his eyes are flaring with fire.

Now I’m quivering in disgust.

“Tell your sister to get out from the store.”

Hyunseung stares at Hyuna as if to read her face, and nods. Hana looks betrayed and she lets out a string of curse as protests, which nobody listens to.

“May I be your date for the ball, Miss Kim?” Hyunseung asks in a gentleman’s way.

“Oppa!” Jang Hana shouts, feeling extremely embarrassed. “How could you after all she’s done to me!?”

The newfound species of lovebirds totally ignore her.

“I’ll meet you at the ballroom,” Hyuna says and looks away, as if to end the conversation.

“Wear the red one, it looks good on you,” Hyunseung says, pointing with his chin at the red gown Hyuna is holding.

Her cheeks turn crimson red very slowly but I am very sure she blushes. Hyuna turns to me, eyes widening when she sees me grinning cheekily.

“Don’t ask,”

“Not going to,” I shake my head while laughing in my mind.

 

Our gowns were paid by Hyunseung secretly. We found that out when Hyuna’s about to pay and the cashier said everything’s been taken care of. Hyuna muttered in pretence annoyance because as she was rambling, her lips curled up bashfully. I shook my head of course, seeing her. Hyuna is very easy to read once you get to know her. She may seem very confident—which she is—but there is big amount of shyness in her; when she meets her prince charming, of course.

“So Jang Hyunseung, eh?” I tease, grinning cheekily as we put down our shopping bags on the vanity table.

“Shut up,” She smiles shyly, looking anywhere but me.

“So who is he?”

She seems to think for a while, maybe wondering whether she should tell or not.

“You have to tell me!” I shriek. “You know about my love life better than I know myself! How can I know nothing of yours?! Is that fair?!”

“Nothing is fair, darling,” She says annoyingly. “But, fine, I’ll tell you. I don’t know how long I should keep this to myself.” She laughs.

 

It was summer and Hyuna had just turned six. Her family moved from the states to South Korea because her father’s main company headquarters was in Seoul. She hated the fact she had to move because she had to leave all her friends and had to adapt to a new area. Simply said, she’s quite rebellious and liked to act up, making her parents go mad.

One day, she put a big amount of salts to her mother’s cooking soup, which later would be served to her father’s working partners who were invited to come to the new house. The soup tasted bad and every one practically choked. Mrs. Kim calmly told Hyuna to go to her bedroom, which she did while snickering secretly. She was still so young that she didn’t know what she had done led to her parents’ first big fight.

The clock showed eleven o’clock when Hyuna first heard the sound of plate breaking. Quietly she went down, hiding behind the wall before the kitchen as she watched her father shouting while her mother crying.

“…did you know what you do?! You’ve just lost me a ten-billion dollars project! I told you I’d have dinner outside with them but you insisted to have them at home. I brought them home and what you did? You embarrassed the hell out of me!” Then he walked out from the kitchen to the yard through the backdoor.

Mrs. Kim kept sobbing as she squatted down and picked up the broken pieces of plate.

Hyuna felt sadness overcome her seeing her parents’ fight. She understood then what she had done and for the first time in her life, she felt guilty.

The next morning Hyuna left home, leaving a note to her mother she’d be gone to the neighborhood’s park. She walked there quietly and solemnly, dark aura surrounding her. She felt as if she should have done something, like telling her parents it was her fault. But for a kid like her, apologizing seemed to be the hardest thing to do, especially for one with pride like hers.

She wasn’t aware she had reached the park until a ball stopped at her feet. She slowly looked up to see an older boy, with sharp eyes and dark hair. The kid stared back at her then walked toward her, taking out something from his pocket as he walked closer. Stopping in front of Hyuna, the kid gave Hyuna a handkerchief, which she took questioningly. It was then when the boy reached out; wiping a tear from her cheek that Hyuna realized she had been crying.

“Why are you crying?” He asked curiously.

Hyuna told him about her mischievousness, somehow feeling better. She felt like she could trust him somehow. She was scared he would judge her and tell her she was wrong—as if she didn’t know better—but the boy just nodded and listened heartedly. When she was finished, the boy grabbed her hand and pulled her to the street. He asked where her house was, and then he pulled him toward her house.

She shrieked at him; asking him what he was doing. The boy kept silent until they stopped in front of her house. He pushed her through the gate, and followed after. He knocked on the door, which was opened by Hyuna’s mother, who looked in surprise at the boy.

“Mrs. Kim?” The boy asked as Hyuna shut , could only watch helplessly as she waited her mom to punish her after the boy telltale on her. “I believe your daughter has something to tell you.”

Hyuna’s eyes widened in surprise as she felt the boy moved to the side, leaving her exposed to her mother’s curious gaze. She knew then what the boy was trying to do. That moment she felt grateful, and annoyed to of course. If not for the boy, she wouldn’t be standing in front of her mother, fidgeting.

“O-Omma,” Hyuna started. Her eyes started to get teary as she continued, “I-I’m sorry, Omma! I’m sorry! I didn’t mean to do it! I’m serious! I-I was just so angry that w-we had to move from the states! I just wanted y-you and a-appa to feel guilty and sent me back to states! But I didn’t mean to hurt anyone!” She cried.

Mrs. Kim stared at her daughter helplessly as she didn’t understand what she was talking about. “Honey, what are you talking about?”

“T-the soup!! The saltiness in the soup! It’s a-all my d-doing!” She cried harder, trying to prolong her post-punishment.

Mrs. Kim looked at Hyuna with a shake of her head. “Honey, you think I don’t know that?”

“W-what?” Hyuna stared at her mother as her tears started to dry up.

“You think, I wouldn’t have known that? You think I made mistake in cooking? No way, honey. I don’t make mistake in cooking, honey.” Mrs. Kim said as she squatted down. She looked adoringly at her daughter. “But I thank you for your bravery sweetie. It’s very courageous of you to apologize. You make me proud.”

“And me,” Mr. Kim appeared at the doorway. He bowed down so his face could be at the same height as his daughter.

“T-then, there will be no separation?”

There was a silence and shocked eyes from her parents.

“Why do you say that honey?” Mrs. Kim asked as Mr. Kim said at the same time, “No way sweetpie.”

The parents looked at each other and chuckled.

“I-I saw you two got into a fight l-last night.”

“Oh, that’s why you apologized,” Mrs. Kim smiled. “It’s nothing sweetie. Your father was only mad for a while.”

“Really?”

“Yes, that’s why, don’t think more of it.”

Hyuna nodded and smiled. Then she remembered the boy. She turned to look at him, only to find the boy’s gone. Hyuna held the handkerchief in her hand tighter.

 

“You’re saying the boy is Jang Hyunseung?” I ask curiously. There was no mention of the boy’s name at all in the story, and that’s annoying.

“Yes. I didn’t know that until few years later, when I got into middle schools.” Hyuna stares at the wall, as her mind wanders away. “It was a party my parents forced me to attend (because it was how our society functions) and thus I went. It was the Jang’s party, celebrating something I already forgot. What I remembered was, a guy standing at the podium looking all mighty, uncaring to the world. His face was controlled, pure mechanic. It was as if he was a robot. He introduced himself as Jang Hyunseung.”

“Wait, so you just know it was him, by the way he looked?”

“No! I mean I had my suspicions, but I didn’t know it was him until much later.”

 

Still the same night, Hyuna walked out from the infested-with-rich-people room to the beautiful garden. She looked boringly at her surroundings. Sure it’s a beautiful garden, but she had seen far more beautiful gardens before. The only thing caught her eyes was the water fountain, which made of stones and a beautiful mermaid statue, holding a bowl which the water came out from. She sat at the bricks surrounding the fountain, and looked into the water, wondering if something would suddenly come out.

“The statue was built in my grandfather’s era.” A voice snapped her out of her thoughts. “Steel-hand man he was, but great man.” Hyuna turned to find Jang Hyunseung speaking. He stared back at her. “A penny for your thought?”

Hyuna thought for a while before opening , “Just wondering how you can be sibling with such vile creature like Hana,”

A smirk curled on his lips. “Ah, an adversary, is she?”

“I’d like to say she’s not my anything. She doesn’t even deserve to know me.” Hyuna said arrogantly. She knew how bad she sounded, but she didn’t really mind. Something told her she could be brutally honest with him, and he wouldn’t even mind a single bit.

He laughed. What a weird composition of cold controlling man with a man who likes to laugh. He walked closer to her with a secretive smile. “I’m Jang Hyunseung,”

“I know,” Hyuna muttered. “Everyone in the room knows, I believe.”

“Ah yes, of course. But I don’t know your name.”

Hyuna squinted her eyes in suspicion. He put his hands up as if surrendering, or acting that he came with no evil purpose. “Hyuna. My name is Kim Hyuna,”

“Ah,”

 

“ ‘Ah,’? That’s all?” I furrow my brows.

“Hey, I haven’t finished yet,” She frowns, then turns at the clock. “Oopsies, time for midnight snacks. Let’s go!” She then dashes out of the room.

I shake my head. “Idiot,” I murmur before once again following her out of the room. “You’re really going to put a cliffhanger like this!?”