Sugar Part 1

Let's Not Talk About It

Maroon 5- Sugar

When my brother announced his engagement I didn’t expect for the wedding to take place so soon. Since the day my brother announced May 11 to be the special day my mother has been condemning the entire ordeal in our Wednesday lunch appointments. I never thought I’d have to sit through an hour and a half and listen to my mother speak so severely of a girl who is nothing but guilty for making the mistake of falling in love with my brother. Maybe this was all a shotgun wedding but it was none of my business to imply. Of course, my father on the other hand being known for throwing splendorous gatherings is not one to minimize this occasion despite my mother’s disapproval in celebrating the marriage.

Jiho and Taewoon’s names are both added to the guest list along other A-list actors, singers and business partners of my father. I had promised the boys after I had made my required appearances we would ditch the dinner and celebrate Taewoon’s 24th birthday.

“Margaret.” My mother has taken to calling me by my full name. Note: she has not left my side since she sent a car to pick me up to meet her at a salon. Actually, the day before she dropped by unannounced at my apartment to “approve” on the dress I’d be wearing for the ceremony. My entire closet was ruled off and she practically dragged me out of the house for emergency shopping and revamping of my wardrobe. My entire living is now filled with shopping bags from stores I don’t even recall walking into. In total, I have spent two whole days, in a row, with my mother. That is more than the time we have shared together in my childhood.

“Yes, mother?” I’ve been pacing around in utter boredom. I can only assume I’ve annoyed her by now. I cross my fingers hoping to be dissed from the room.

“Stand up straight let me look at you.” I stop and slowly turn to face her.  She tilts her head and nods in approval. “Yes, that dress looks divine. It states, you are an independent, strong woman, with youth and beauty. Remember, these years don’t last long. Trust me I would know. Now remain poise and stop slumping like a country bumpkin. And would you please sit before you wear off the soles of the Louboutins.” She chides. Well that was almost a nice moment. The dress I am wearing is a beauty. Alexander Mcqueen, black, floor-length gown with gold trims along the edge and a daring plunge line. I had never worn anything quite like this and honestly I feel exhilarating but mostly timid.

I decide to sit and at least try to avoid any conflict. Checking my phone, I notice a few texts from Jiho asking if I had not jumped out of a window yet. I notify him that things are going better than expected but I promise to leave a letter if such measures need to be taken. A knock at the door distracts me from replying to Jiho asking if he could keep my cat if I perished.

“Hello, Mother. Maggie.”

“Jason, dear. Unless you are here to call off the wedding then I’m not interested in speaking.” My mother scoffs from her corner of the room.

“No, dear mother there are no such plans. I am actually here to speak to Maggie.” He nods and smiles at my direction, he points out to the hallway. “Do you mind?”

“Not at all.” I stand quickly and follow all too eagerly out the room. Jason and I haven’t had the best relationship in the past years but he was my ticket out of that room even if it was for a short amount of time.

“Walk with me, will you?” He points towards the elevator, I nod and follow him in. I glance around wondering what exactly he had to say to me. “Do you remember that summer we vacationed in America? You were 5, June was 8 and I was 13.” A moment down memory lane is this?

“We visited New York City. I got lost in that zoo in central park and you and June had found me already determined to live in the penguin exhibit.” My memories are hazy but I remember this one quite well, father loves retelling it to clients.

Jason clears his throat. “Yes, June was the one that had to convince you living with penguins was not as fun as you thought it would be. All her arguments weren’t valid until she said that she would miss you too much and she couldn’t bear to live with out you as a sister. So you huffed and crossed your little arms and said fine but only because you loved us more than penguins. Quite a stubborn little one you were, and still are.” He laughs gently. I had actually not heard that version until today. There had been a time June and I was inseparable but things changed once we grew. “You know, I often wonder what happened between us. We were so close.” Jason sighs. The elevator doors open and we exit into the lobby.

“Jason.” I turn to face him and place a hand over his right shoulder. “I am really happy for you. I know you are going to be a great husband. This girl is really lucky to have you.”

“Thanks Maggie. That means a lot to me.” He smiles and softly pinches my cheeks. “Now I have to go look for June. Wish me luck.” He puffs out his cheeks and I give him the thumbs up before he leaves.

“Maggie.” A familiar voices calls out my name. “I’ve been calling your cell.” I twist to side and turn completely around when I notice Jiho. He is wearing a black suit, white dress shirt and pastel pink bow tie. His hair was dyed dark again, jelled back. This color has always been my favorite.

“Sorry, I left my phone upstairs.” I apologize.

“Wow.” Jiho stands back eying my dress from top to bottom. His eyes linger longer than they should at the v-line. His strong gaze meets my own and I instantly start to feel hot under his unsettling observation.

“It’s a bit…” I lower my eyes and stare at the floor.

“No, don’t do that. You look amazing.” Jiho lifts my chin up and tucks a strand of stray hair behind my ear.

“Jiho?” Taewoon steps from behind. “I wasn’t sure if you said to meet outside or in the lobby… Maggie? Wow. You look stunning. Absolutely beautiful.” He takes my hand and twirls me around. “I feel like Jiho and I have to hide you.” I blush. I could actually say the same about Taewoon. He wore a dark gray suit, matching vest, white button-up, and black bow tie. He had dark brown hair again, I felt compelled to run my hand through his locks but Jiho’s burning stare kept me in place.

“Let’s not exaggerate now.” I roll my eyes. Taewoon pulls me in close and leans in to whisper in my ear.

“Save me dance tonight.” He steps back, leaving a cluster of mad driven butterflies in my stomach. Now how am I supposed to recuperate from that?

“My mother must be looking for me.” I reply flustered. “I won’t be able to sit with you guys during the ceremony but I arranged for the two of you to join us in the family table.” I hold back my wince in case of a backlash from the two.

“Wait, you didn’t mention that earlier.” Jiho begins his protest. Surprisingly, Taewoon takes the news rather well. “Your mother didn’t like me the last time we met I don’t think 2 years is enough to change that.”

“I doubt she remembers you, no offence, just be your natural charming self.” I reassure him. “Plus the media is only allowed outside so the two of you don’t have to worry about any rumors and such.”

“But-“

“Jiho, I have to go! I’ll see you after the ceremony.” I hastily wave at the boys and rush to the elevators. Mother must be wondering what has taken me so long. The woman isn’t known for her patience so I wasn’t surprised to have her glare at me once I walked into the room.

“Where have you been? I called Jason and he said he left you in the lobby about 30 minutes ago.” She inquires.

“Sorry, mother, I had run into some friends that will be attending the wedding.”

“What friends?”

“Do you remember Woo Jiho? You met him about two years ago for June’s birthday.” I really hope she didn’t. That day was quite memorable on how terrible the event was. With the exception of my father, who enjoys about every party, my mother, siblings, and I were all in a bitter mood. Which indicates the reason of a dreadful first impression between Jiho and my mother.

“You mean the entertainer? Don’t tell me you are dating that boy.” My mother scowls.

“Jiho and I are just friends.”

“Good. You be careful with that boy. Entertainers they only interested in their selves.” She points out at me knowingly.

“I can reassure you Jiho is nothing like that. He is a really good friend.” I insist defensively. My mother isn’t a fan of my friendship with Jenny either so any further argument would be a waste of air. As usual she waves my words way and gathers her clutch.

“Come. We must make an appearance in that woman’s room. I’m curious what kind of low class girl bewitched your brother. She must be a gold-digger.” Normally I would stay out of this one but I had barely just mended things with my brother and I didn’t want him to blame me for letting out mother scare off his bride.

“Mother, I would be nice to the girl Jason wouldn’t just marry anyone.” I urge.

As I had mention, any form of retaliation is useless against my mother. She always gets the word in the end. When we reach the girl’s room mother turns into her usual cold self. She speaks minimal words to Jason’s Bride-to-be, Clara Greene, and ignores any compliments or kind gestures from the girl. Clara is a twenty-one year old pre-law student with a full scholarship to Seoul University. Any of these would have impressed anyone except my mother. It wasn’t the social status or the girl’s lack of knowledge between Fendi and Prada. The girl is half American and Japanese that was enough of an excuse.

We made it out of the room with out my mother attacking the girl. The ceremony was due to start in a half an hour. The decorators had out done themselves in the hotel. The room was artistically lit, with the rows and rows of seats each with their own unique touch. The ceremony ended faster than I expected or perhaps I was too much in trance in watching the exchange between my brother and Clara. They truly loved each other. Shockingly my mother did not make a scene to object against the wedding not that she would publicly humiliate herself like that.

The ballroom was just as splendorous as the Chapel. I was in awe with the table decorations. Trees literally rose from the center of the tables, blue and gold lights shined over each one.

“Your father really out did himself this time.” Jiho appeared beside me and stood to admire the room as well.

“He really did.” I whisper and smile at my best friend. “Where is Taewoon?” I ask.

“Restroom. He said to save him a seat.”

“He does know they are assigned?”

“What can I say? I’m the smartest Woo brother.” Jiho grins smugly.

“Come along Woo Einstein.” I laugh.

We were the first to reach the table, followed by June, my parents, and then Taewoon. I am grateful for my father’s amiable nature. He recognized Jiho right away and addressed him by his stage name. I on the other hand tried to ignore my mother’s callous stares. Taewoon managed to charm my father unlike someone I’ve ever seen. Even June’s stoic expression altered in disbelief. My mother was beginning to warm up to him as well until my father inquired Taewoon about his profession.

“I am an entertainer as well, sir. I am an idol under CCM.” Taewoon replies.

“You are in a boy band as well?” My mother scrunches up her nose. “Such a shame. It is a waste of time and talent, if you ask me. Children are wasting tons of money on dancing puppets when they should be studying for a higher education.”

“With all due respect, ma’am. What I do. What my brother and I do is our passion and job. We work hard to achieve were we are now. We also wouldn’t be where we are without are fans.” Jiho interjects.

“But where will you be 10 years from now? When new, younger, brighter, and fresher talent is in your place? Fame is limited. All you are now is a trend. Like every trend you will also pass.” She dismisses Jiho’s argument.

“Maggie, dear why don’t you go show your friends the hotels garden? A walk should help digest all the food they consumed.” He winks. Leave it to my father to give us a chance to get away.

“Great idea!” We rise and excuse ourselves from the table.

“I will you join you guys.” June stands and excuses her self as well.

When we reach the hotel lobby I try to search for words to apologize to Jiho and Taewoon.  There isn’t an excuse to my mother’s words but it is unlikely they will or anyone will ever hear an apology come out of her lips.

“Maggie, don’t worry about it. Taewoon and I understand. We’ve heard our collection of harsh criticism. We aren’t strangers to it.” Jiho squeezes my hand.

“Come on, it’s my birthday we partying or what?” Taewoon places an arm around my shoulder and I catch the scent of his musky cologne. “Yo, Maggie’s sister. Are you coming with?”

“Maggie’s sister. I’ve haven’t heard that one before.” She tilts her head. “I don’t want to intrude.” She answers.

“Join us.” I surprise even my self on this one.


A/N:  Hey hey. I don't know if the song has anything to do with the story except if you watch the video it is about Maroon 5 crashing random weddings. Lol. But it helped me write this chapter. How is everyone doing? I start school next week and like the rest of my friends I have mixed feelings about. Well, tell me what you think :)